NBN News

It should be scheduled by traffic. Must’ve missed it.

3 Likes

To be fair, not often. I didn’t see it tonight.

The bulletin seems to operate on time and smoothly most of the time.

2 Likes

NBN never had dubbed over tags a long time ago, they were just cut… then they added them probably when they had more contact with 9 to get them to record custom signoffs

1 Like

Yes, the dubbed over tags only began after Nine purchased NBN.

Whether NBN asked for them, or Nine just decided to it for them, I don’t know… But I suspected NBN asked.

1 Like

i know a lot will be against this but i am thinking in some ways it would be better for NBN if they move NBN News to 5:30pm and then air the full National Nine News bulletin at 6pm, instead of the ongoing balls ups that they continue with

Also I feel they could then air an encore at 7pm on 9Gem of NBN News, so that those that arrived home later can watch it instead of streaming.

NBN could on the weekend air NBN News Saturday at 5pm and on Sundays NBN News Sunday at 5pm (outside NRL season). In either scenario, 9GEM could air NBN News Saturday and NBN News Sunday at 7pm.

Similar arrangement could occur on the Gold Coast and in WIN regions. In Metro regions Nine could screen programs like Customs, RBT and other similar shows at 7pm to accommodate such changes

I agree in some ways too, purely from a product perspective, but it won’t because

1. NBN News wins it’s timeslot pretty comfortably (AFAIK) in the key market of Newcastle, even though it gets beaten by 7News further north (AFAIK).

2. NBN News doesn’t have a lot of local content, most markets only get 2-3 local news reports per night, which is nowhere near enough to fill 30 minutes… They would need to produce more generic news to fill it.

3. Weekend news would then need to be a short one at say 6.50pm so that it is consistent year round.

I don’t think the people of Newcastle really want to watch the 9 news from Sydney at 6pm. I don’t recall the people of Newcastle ever watching the Sydney 9 news at 6 pm for a extremely long time as far as I can remember.

For about 3 minutes two nights ago, they did!

2 Likes

It would make sense for Nine to axe the Adelaide or Perth News before removing or reducing NBN News, they both cost more and rate lower than NBN News does.

Don’t make it worse for 9 News Perth.

1 Like

But they make more money because the market is bigger so there is more advertising dollars to throw around.

I doubt Nine would invest into 2 local bulletins for both Adelaide and Perth if it wasn’t viable to do so.

If something rates well, it doesn’t mean it is a profitable program.

1 Like

Agree, and I don’t think NBN News is particularly cheap to make compared to ADL or PER when you consider they have 6 (?) offices around Northern NSW gathering various local news, so staffing, rent, vehicles in each location etc cost money, whereas it’s much easier to pool that in ADL or PER.

I think it’s very viable to do so - just trying to highlight the performance of NBN News compared to other things Nine do. It’s such a strange take to think they’d want to start piping in Sydney news, or downgrading it to 5:30.

It’s one of their best performing products, you’d just not do something like that to it.

1 Like

But as has been pointed out above, if it’s too expensive to make even though it rates well, they will find ways to cut costs, and if moving it to 5.30 does that for them, it’s not out of question. Having said that, it doesn’t seem likely right now.

Better how?

So the highest rating version of local news at 6 on any Nine station in the country halves its ratings at 530?

And they also have their viewership 6-7pm with an out of market news service?

And give SEVEN the open flor to launch local news in Newcastle.

Yea. Great idea :raised_hands:t2:

7 Likes

How do you know Nine books more revenue for Adelaide and Perth 6pm news over Newcastle/NNSW 6pm news?

Have you seen the revenue numbers?

The Newcastle/NNSW news rates higher and gets more viewers than both Adelaide and Perth

1 Like

I don’t know for certain but its an educated guess that Perth and Adelaide news have a higher operating budget than Newcastle/NNSW

Most of the cost comes from head count / salary and hours of content produced.

Having a weatherman present NBN News is one of the biggest jokes on TV. Back in the day when Garry Wilkinson had to fill in as a Seven News presenter years ago, it was a bit of a surprise, but almost everyone that knows Gary Youngberry, knows he is a weather presenter. Natasha Beyersdorf does an ok job presenting the news, and to me the stupidest thing NBN/Nine could have done was to get rid of Paul Lobb.

I honestly think that NBN/Nine News at 5:30pm will be NEC’s next move for the northern NSW news service. And maybe we won’t see as many errors from the amateurs. I’m thinking that these recent slip ups might not have been an accident. It actually gets people talking about the Sydney based National Nine News service

I’ve seen what it costs to advertise in some NNSW markets at 6pm - it’s not particularly expensive (for a single slot) given the good audience numbers. Newcastle would be more, but I can’t imagine any of the NNSW markets are more expensive than Adelaide or Perth.

One of the things about moving regional news earlier that doesn’t get discussed is that it actually makes it harder to get content to air on the same day the story is gathered, especially when reporters have to travel away from the station’s regional facilities.

At the moment, both NBN and 7 Regional are providing limited news coverage to some parts of their news areas because of distance and staffing, this kind of move has real potential to kill off a lot of news coverage.

Its not uncommon to see news items that occurred 1 or 2 days ago to be on the news, this has been going on for years, and not just on NBN either.

I’ve often seen NBN News cover something that happened on the Saturday on the Monday night bulletin, as an example.