6. Perth 45k

Ranked by % of market population

1. Newcastle/NNSW 6.5%
  2. Adelaide 6%
  3. Melbourne 4.3%
  4. Sydney 3.9%
  5. Brisbane/Gold Coast 2.8%
  6. Perth 2.1%

NBN News is the #3 most watched local Nine bulletin. With 3x as many viewers as Perth

I’m terms of market share, NBN News is #1 outperforming Sydney by more than 65% and Perth by more than 300%

Sydney, Brisbane/Gold Coast and Perth are The worst performing 9 News broadcasts

1 Like

Some submarkets can be subdivided again too (especially with the legacy broadcasters) - for instance, the Northern Rivers Submarket is three separate ad markets.

Plus merging resources together into central control room and studio hubs whilst pumping out maximum content. It’s probably the cheapest live bulletin running in Australia right now.

What point are you trying to prove here? 80% of their reach has no local content competing against it - of course market share is gonna be good.

I’m not sure if it’s fair to compare a regional bulletin to metro news services where there is much more variety in local content.

All these services have been long-running for decades with good investment behind it - and once again, not much competition besides WIN News - which is garbage in quality and the ratings reflect that.

I believe there are 7 ad markets available on 9NBN

Newcastle
Central Coast
Taree-Port Macquarie
Mid North Coast (Kempsey to Grafton)
Far North Coast (Lismore)
Gold Coast
New England (Tamworth, Armidale, Upper Namoi)

My question for you is, how is Seven Local News Wollongong and Seven Local News Canberra going since WIN moved their local news to 5:30pm?

pardon? what was that? Seven doesnt air local news in those regions

And I suppose NBN dumping Paul Lobb was in my head too??

Networks look at all forms of cost cutting and if Nine thinks NBN is number 1 for news etc, they look at all cost cutting opportunities. Initially, its likely to go to the one presenter format, then possibly followed by looking at reducing the length of the bulletins

It would have once been unthinkable for someone other than a recognised news presenter to be in front of the camera reading the news. Using someone without news reading experience was once rare, now NBN and Nine are using Garry Youngberry as a news reader for a main bulletin. Thats outright stupidity in my opinion. They got rid of Paul Lobb for that guy. Paul Lobb was liked by most viewers in northern NSW. People that know Paul, know he is a nice guy… but then the US band Green Day did sing, “Nice Guys Finish Last”

1 Like

Point is - NBN News is the most suucessful 6pm bulletin on any Nine station. IMO it’s not going anywhere. Would be commercial suicide.

1 Like

Paul - is that you?

3 Likes

I think you mean Gavin Morris?

Garry Youngberry is the weather presenter for Nine News in Queensland

1 Like

Garry Youngberry used to be weather presenter on NBN News before Gavin Morris.

1 Like

I somewhat agree.
Strange though that you’re now advocating that they do something that would be far stupider :confused:

Exactly. It’s far from perfect but they do currently have a successful formula and they can’t afford to just throw that into the wind.

Correct, however in the post I originally quoted it was referencing Nine and NBN using Garry Youngberry as a main news reader. Garry Youngberry commenced weather duties in Brisbane in 2009.

And prior to Garry Youngberry reading weather on NBN it was Nat Jeffrey, who also had a stint presenting Today Extra (unrelated to the current version airing)

NBN reporter Claudia Vrdoljak filed a package on the 4pm news today. She did well Both mic flags appeared.

I’ll be interested to see if she makes it onto the 6pm Sydney bulletin tonight.

1 Like

As some who does get NBN News instead of 9 News Sydney, I want to ask you this:
How would channel 9 axe these bulletins? Would they move them to another city like they moved 9 Darwin News to Brisbane, and how 10 moved the Perth, Adelaide, and Queensland news to Melbourne and Sydney?

1 Like

I don’t for a moment think or propose Nine changing things in Perth and Adelaide, just trying to establish that NBN News delivers a lot of value to Nine in its current form - and if they ever were considering cuts, NBN News should be well down the list against things that perform worse and cost more.

I think one thing worth noting is that regional broadcasters have content quotas for local news, but metro broadcasters do not. They could just stop making news in Perth or Adelaide and replace with regular programming, while a reason to make NBN news is that there’s requirements to produce some form of local news in regional markets, so given they have to make something for the region, they may as well make the thing that thrashes all the competition in the timeslot.

1 Like

Only in Newcastle. Up on the North Coast and in the North West, 7 News is # 1.

IIRC:

Gold Coast: 9News (not NBN)
North Coast: 7News
Mid North Coast: 7News
North West: 7News
Newcastle: NBN News
Gosford: 9News (not NBN)
Whole market: NBN News

NBN News wins NNSW due to the high viewership in Newcastle. I would say Newcastle is the strongest market followed by the North Coast, North West, Gosford then Gold Coast.

1 Like

And also due to the higher overall population in the Newcastle / Hunter market compared to elsewhere in N.NSW.

I think I read somewhere the Northern Rivers is now more populous.

1 Like