My Kitchen Rules

‘‘Banker’’ in this case meaning she’s a greeter at a CommBank branch…

It wasn’t hypocrisy. It was a joke, mate. It’s not good for you to be constantly angry at the world. :laughing: MKR has never been a serious cooking show. At least, most people have never taken it seriously. Just lighten up a bit and have a laugh. It would do you a world of good. :wink:

Thanks JBar.

Now back to MKR last night. Grrr!

You’re welcome. Glad to be of service. :laughing:

Back to MKR. There are so many promos peppered through the show. Using my recorder, I can watch a 90 minute show in less than 60 minutes now. Grrr!

I’m glad you were! Maybe you should service the main star of the show, Pete Evans, too - he’s seeming a little over the top irritable lately. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As for length of viewing, I’ve condensed it to no more than 40 mins each night. Which is how long it really should be as a standard 1 hour show.

Each episode runs 61 minutes on average incl “coming up” and “previously”.

So what was “The Incident” last night that they advertised where a contestant supposedly “crossed the line”? I’m guessing a random comment by someone that took up no more than 30 mins of the episode?

2 Likes

Matt from Queensland said “Is anyone familiar with the term ‘batting Merrins’?” before adding Amy “is batting Merrins” (i.e. punching above her weight by marrying self-proclaimed seafood king Josh). News Corp has a great recap of the incident.

1 Like

They were playing a game where they had to reveal a “secret talent”. Josh from Western Australia said that before he was married he was scouted as a model and had done some modelling work including 5 times catwalk in Milan.

Matt from Queensland said his wife was ‘batting Merrins’ which is the equivalent of batting above your average or punching above your weight. He basically called the wife plain or unattractive.

So he was slammed by everyone at the table and then said “there’s too many feminists at this table”. He got pulled down by the blokes too who told him he was a disgrace.

1 Like

By the sounds of it he was more making fun of the guy for being a model rather than saying she wasn’t as good looking as her partner.

Here are the quotes from the article:

During a conversation about secret talents, Broome deckhand Josh revealed he had been scouted as a model and worked in Milan before marrying Amy. Matt, who, along with his wife Alyse, is fast emerging as the villain of the round, took the revelation as an opportunity to make an underhand comment about Amy’s looks.

“Is anyone familiar with the term ‘batting Merrins’?” he said. “Anyone that’s with someone that’s better looking you say, ‘Oh, you’re batting Merrins’. Amy’s batting Merrins.”

The other contestants were clearly shocked by the insult, calling Matt “harsh” and saying they would not stand for comments like that.

Amy appeared hurt by Matt’s barb and later spoke of her upset at the situation in a piece to camera.
“I didn’t really appreciate that comment at all, saying that I was punching above my weight,” the teacher said. “I was seething.”

Zzzzz. No wonder the ratings are tanking this year!

2 Likes

Tell me about it. I fast forward all that junk so this is the first I’ve read about it.

What a big deal over nothing.

I’m surprised he thought the feminists at the table would be upset about that, though.

Feminists of course only want equal treatment for women, so the fact a saying that has been applied to men in Australia for decades has finally been applied to a woman is in fact…equality.

Bunch of morons. The contestants, the producers, the 7 marketing execs, the people in the media that have written about it, and the people that consume the final product. Yawn-o-rama.

4 Likes

In last night’s episode, Pete told Court and Duncan straight away he was frustrated they delivered three inconsistent dishes. Usually he or Manu thanks the hosts for the instant restaurant before announcing the guests’ combined score. The hipsters have themselves to blame though. They cured the trout in salt but left most of it in the kitchen and served little to the guests and judges. Later when they made s’more, the portion of marshmallow and biscuit was too big and most teams did not finish it.
Josh is so dumb. How could a self-proclaimed “seafood king” not know what gravlax is (trout cured in salt and alcohol) and still criticise Kelsey for leaving scales on the snapper in the previous restaurant?

1 Like

I didn’t see last night’s episode, what score did Courtney and Duncan get?

@Radiohead the score was 62

1 Like

What a humiliation for Josh and Amy, only scoring 43 points for their instant restaurant. Josh called himself “the seafood king” but could not even cook the seafood properly. The chorizo stuffed squid was average but their beer battered fish and chips were a disaster (batter was too heavy thus the fish sank to the bottom of both the pan and the deep fryer), causing the team to abandon the batter and pan fry the fish instead. They got 8 points from Manu with the Cape brandy pudding which received mixed reactions from other teams.
Was Alyse’s adverse reaction to the fish exaggerated? Cameras showed her rushing to the toilet to vomit.

If I’ve just thrown up I’m unlikely to be digging into a heavy brandy pudding anytime soon.

5 Likes

And just after vomiting you wouldn’t say l"m so hungry l will eat anything.:rolling_eyes: