Nickelodeon (formerly 10Shake)

But why? The standard MTV channel has nothing to do with music any more.

2 Likes

The MTV channel on Foxtel airs 3-hours worth of music during the early hours of the morning each day, so it isn’t strictly a 24/7 reality-TV channel. The Loop would be a good fit for the channel, IMO.

7 Likes

I’m more than aware of that, but as SouthCoastTV rightly pointed out the standard MTV channel on Foxtel still has some music video programming. Remembering that there are multiple MTV channels on Pay TV, surely a free to air version is likely to have a mix of everything?

I also think having The Loop on the free to air version of MTV Australia would add a certain level of prestige to Ten’s music video program/brand.

1 Like

People are also forgetting that there are numerous MTV channels on Foxtel outisde the main channel (E.g. MTV Dance) that play music all day. So there is no reason that there can’t be a range of music content on 10s MTV and the FTA channel can be a representation of everything MTV offers. Also the MTV main channel on Foxtel has a lot of repeats so I can easily see 10 throwing in more music content in place of that, which I think would be a great point of difference to the other mutli-channels on FTA.

3 Likes

Maybe they could revive the Video Hits brand??

8 Likes

Now that I’ve thought about things a bit more, surely a FTA version of MTV (aside from obviously needing to be scheduled differently so the channel meets the stricter classification & Australian content quotas of free to air TV) is going to be positioned as a kind of “Best of MTV” channel which has enough of the programming highlights but not so many that it has the potential to take away viewers from the various MTV channels on Foxtel and other Pay TV providers?

Think about how Sky News on WIN is programmed (but obviously adjust the thought process for MTV & Ten) and you’ll probably get an idea of what we could be in store for.

2 Likes

I’m guessing it will be a bit like SBS Viceland… a lot of the prime time content is from Viceland but during the days they still have a lot of world news and other things that fit the SBS brand. 10s MTV will probably be bit of a mixed bag with prime time having some of the core MTV content (possibly delayed as Foxtel have first rights) and the rest of the schedule might be music or reality related filler content that Ten have to burn out (maybe some new things but also a lot of repeated stuff).

6 Likes

Just like WIN’s Sky-produced morning news bulletin (which for Foxtel users and non-regionals airs on Sky News Weather).

They should relaunch MTV Classic (80s and 90s music) on Foxtel. The “back by popular demand” relaunch via Fetch has been working well I think, so why not on the signature cable TV service?

1 Like

I wonder if this could have also explained why Catfish Australia was dropped from pilot week. They’ve commissioned it to launch MTV on FTA?

7 Likes

Probably because the classic music genre is well covered across Max, Smooth and even CMC?

3 Likes

MTV seems like a good fit to join 10’s suite of channels. The hardest part of adding multichannels, apart form finding content, is to not cannibalise the existing channels. The young-skewing reality-type programming on MTV programmed across a schedule is likely to do more damage to 7Mate , 7Flix, 9Go and 9Life than 10’s main channel. MTV shows are some of the highest rated on Foxtel, sometimes making the top 10 for the night so I think the channel could become a go to destination for some viewers.

7 Likes

It’s good to see an extra channel on FTA, and MTV is a very recognisable brand, but let’s not forget that their programming really is absolute garbage and an insult to TV viewers everywhere!

5 Likes

Ten or MTV?

2 Likes

Hmm, on second thought it’s probably a perfect fit for 10. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Should do well - based on some of the garbage that rates on FTA now (MAFS - I’m looking at you).

6 Likes

Perhaps 10 could do a proper local version of Geordie/Jersey Shore in Australia. Even perhaps ex on the beach…

2 Likes

I’d rather it be 24/7 music videos like the original MTV was!

2 Likes

Maybe not with Richard Wilkins presenting between the videos though! :laughing:

4 Likes

Why? How is Video Hits any different to The Loop?