Movies

This?

yep thats it

Nominations for next month’s Academy Awards were announced overnight. Roma and The Favourite both received the most nominations with 10 each.

Among the snubs were Bradley Cooper (A Star is Born director), Emily Blunt (Mary Poppins Returns, A Quiet Place) and Margot Robbie (Mary Queen of Scots).

Forget the Oscars…the real award nominations were released a few days ago! :wink:

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced this week that the Oscars for cinematography, editing, live action short, and makeup and hair would be handed out during commercial breaks of the Academy Awards ceremony on February 24, however the presentations would be streamed live on Oscars website.

Will 9Now stream these four categories live during commercial breaks of Nine’s telecast on February 25? The reason is that live streaming on Oscars website may be blocked outside the US.

UPDATE: after protests from leading actors and craft unions, AMPAS announced on Friday (February 15) that the four categories would be shown live during the awards telecast and not during ad breaks.

What did you think? :slight_smile:

good film. I know others who had already seen it and they liked it. I did not intend to watch it the other night I just found it while channel flicking.

Agreed. I recommended it to my folks and they saw it with friends and also enjoyed.

I thought Taraji P. Henson’s performance was excellent as the main protagonist, persistent and striving to achieve, her scenes with Kevin Costner I also enjoyed. :slight_smile:

Just watched Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! I can see why people say it isn’t as good as the first one… Too much “story” and not enough songs (like every musical nowadays)?

Also, the DVD runs at the regular speed, pretty odd but Universal are doing this nowadays…

Green Book lol

1 Like

I think some members of Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences voted for Green Book to win best picture because hot favourite Roma was distributed mainly through Netflix.

With the release of the trailer for Dora and the Lost City of Gold, SEQ locals have noted how local shooting locations have been transformed in the movie. E.g. Palm Beach Currumbin High was transformed into
Silver Lake High school LA.

Trailer

3 Likes

A special rerelease for Easter. One day only.

1 Like

A “live reveal” of Bond 25 will happen today at 10.10pm AEST.

As far as I can tell, it’ll be streamed on the 007 YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook accounts.

There’s a couple of rumoured titles floating around - Shatterhand, and Eclipse

1 Like

(The Academy Board of Governors) left intact Rule Two, the one that established that a film can be eligible for Oscars if it has a minimum 7-day theatrical run in a L.A. County commercial theater. That theater has to have a minimum of three screenings for paid admission each of those seven days, and those movies can be released on streaming sites on or after the first day of their theatrical qualifying run.

That means a movie which is released through Netflix (e.g. Roma) will continue to be eligible for the Oscars as long as it is screened in a LA camera for seven days minimum and people pay to see it.

Is “Too Old For This Shit” one of the possible titles?

In reference to Daniel Craig now doing a 1985 Roger Moore and failing to step down :wink:

In all seriousness though, IMO, Spectre was a let down on Skyfall. Hope some new creative screenwriters have come on board?

Regular writers Neal Purvis and Robert Wade wrote the story treatment, script has been written by Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Scott Z Burns. Both are new to Bond, however Burns was involved with one of the Bourne movies.

There was more than one script too, it seems. When Danny Boyle was originally brought in to direct, the original script by Purvis and Wade was scrapped and a new one started by John Hodge. Wiki indicates that once Boyle stepped down, Purvis and Wade were brought back on board but it’s not clear whether they reworked their initial script or Hodge’s.

Spectre was a let down after Skyfall. I would go as far as saying I prefer Quantum of Solace over Spectre.

1 Like

Great info and agree (well, maybe I’d still put Spectre in front). Die Another Day, The Man With The Golden Gun and A View to A Kill are all also pretty weak.

The other two that are often mentioned are Diamonds Are Forever and Licence To Kill, but I liked them better than all the above for seeing Connery back and some good moments & the more gritty bond, respectively.

The Bond 25 live reveal did not announce the title of the movie, only the main cast. Based on 007 Twitter account, the cast includes:
Returning: Ralph Fiennes (M), Rory Kinnear (Tanner), Ben Whishaw (Q), Naomie Harris (Moneypenny), Lea Seydoux (Dr Madeleine Swann), Jeffrey Wright (Felix)
New: Rami Malek, Billy Magnussen, Ana De Arnas, David Dencik, Lashana Lynch