Movies on TV

Has this ever happened before -
“Fletch”, starring Chevy Chase, is currently on Gem and is half way through the movie, while the same movie started on Nine just minutes ago. (Sydney times).

Talk about a fast turnaround!

3 Likes

Very odd. The guide has House starting after the Hopman Cup at 1.30am EDT everywhere except WA, but the cup finished earlier at 12.30am.

1 Like
5 Likes

“US Marshals” (1998) network premiere on Ch 7 Friday week. Which might mean “The Fugitive” is headed to Seven soon too.

They previously were religious and somewhat iconic features on Nine for past 20+ years

“Possibly the worst action movie of all time”. US Marshals co-star Robert Downey Jr.
http://www.dandychick.com/rdjfilmguide/guide/fg035.php

Yeah, it’s not that good. 'Twas a disappointing sequel. The Fugitive is an all-time classic.

1 Like

First movie from Marvel Studios (and first movie distributed by Disney) to have FTV premiere on Nine. Previously Marvel movies had premiered on Ten (e.g. Iron Man, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger) and Seven (e.g. The Avengers). I feel this will be the first of many Marvel/Disney titles to be shown on Nine in near future.

2 Likes

Didn’t Marvel get bought by Disney, hence Seven ended up getting them a few years back? 10 had the initial premieres under their long running Paramount deal.

So I wonder how Nine gets its hands on a Marvel movie for the first time? Could it be linked to Stan getting streaming rights to Disney/Marvel titles?

I saw something online one day confirming Nine are licensed with Disney now (Santa Clause, Oscars, some other Show I think) and as we know and saving us going around in circles, all commercial networks have now ended their overly expensive output deals in favour of cherry picking from multiple distributors (but yes that doesn’t mean Seven don’t still have some Walt Disney premieres or Nine still have some Village Roadshow premieres, dot dot dot)

They just might be buying packages of movies. They do this in the US in syndication.

Let’s say that Disney has Marvel movies as one package, Star Wars as another, kids movies as another and so on. Nine could have purchased the Marvel movies, Seven buys the Star Wars movies and they don’t have to commit to anything more beyond that.

I could be wrong though, but I do know they have that in the US syndication market.

1 Like

I think Nine gets the rights from organisers Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences, not from ABC US.

Regency films (mainly through Warner Bros.) are starting to make an appearance on Seven:

2 Likes

Seven are now licensed to terrestrially broadcast many Warner Bros films, as is known, which this film is actually under (not Regency).

Regency do supply their films to TV networks globally, but under their arrangement with 20C Fox (who also have a stake in the company), examples over the years on Nine > then 10 > recently returned to Nine again include “Entrapment (1999”, etc.

2 Likes

I’m watching a recording of last night’s 60 Minutes and a promo for Charles Bronson’s Death Wish aired. I watched the original 1974 movie classic on a streaming service last year and the promo for the movie that was broadcast last night at 9.40pm on Gem wasn’t that movie. It turns out the movie that aired last night was the box office disaster Death Wish V: The Face of Death, a movie with a Rotten Tomato rating of 0%. Where does Nine get off pulling this dishonest shit on their viewers?

2 Likes

I hope you’re creeped out as I was with Tomic’s winking :tired_face:

Haven’t been having a good run in recent weeks with the Davis Cup on, wrong PRGs/promos/EPGs/movies have been going to air.

1 Like

Caps of Doctor Strange on Nine:

Promo:

Random caps:

1 Like

Seven will not be happy that it will not be able to complete its collection of Marvel movies. Still to come to FTA include Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther, The Avengers: Infinity War. I think Seven and Nine will fight it out to get these titles on its channels.

2 Likes

Will this be a first for Nine? @Zampakid

Previously aired on Seven and 10 when they respectfully had NBC-U licencing

If I’m not mistaken, Ten first aired the movie Gladiator on February 9, 2003.

First time on Nine, yes.

1 Like