Monday 18 February 2019

ratings
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f715ae01b68>

TV Tonight headline says ot all: Today sinks to 13 year low.

This has been canvassed over and over. There are many potential problems with what Nine is doing. I can’t ask every viewer to give a complete response. I’ve said it could be the presenters inexperience or chemistry, the personal life sagas and disputes that have historically engulfed the show, the segments might contain talent that is less appealing or interesting, the Sunrise family may be more familiar and likeable…

Gosh! Dreadful. That’s almost got to be when Jessica Rowe was still co-hosting

They throw presenters together with next to no chemistry and there’s no succession planning. Instead of experimenting with combinations when the opportunities arose last year- holidays and Karl’s extended absences for love sickness and hair transplant surgery- they take the easy route and throw anyone into the chair. Why bother exposing Ragless to the audience when he had no intention of making the move from Adelaide?

They should’ve been on the lookout for news people with big personalities when Karl flagged his intention to leave a few years ago, experimented with various combinations and allowed them to develop chemistry. Nine has put more effort into selecting couples for MAFS than they have for their flagship breakfast television show.

Most great, successful presenting teams have emerged when the a regular presenter has been on leave and it was discovered the replacements clicked and had better chemistry- Koch and Doyle, David Campbell and Sonya Kruger, Gumbel and Couric, Lauer and Couric. It takes time for chemistry to develop.

They need to stop throwing random people together and expecting it just to work. The result is something that appears to be fake, forced and manufactured and viewers see through it.

Reminds of the good old days, used to happen regularly on weekdays.

Maybe they should use some of those lowlifes people as presenters on Today. Or at least use the same casting agency to find replacements. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My tv would be covered in projectile vomit if Ines and Sam were behind a desk serving me news at breakfast time.

And how’s that been working out for them?

Broadcast television needs to appeal to the older audience if they want to remain viable in a digital age.

Pretty well actually, up until Changing Rooms, taking into account losing summer sport.

Just based on articles I’ve read with programming bosses speaking and Cynic’s ratings here on MS and TVT.

Seven got rid of DWTS and A Place To Call Home because they weren’t doing well in key demos, did they not?

The distinction here is that they need shows with broad appeal, so the oldies will tune in as well as the younger crowds. Arguably under 30s are a lost cause for broadcast TV given the other entertainment options. I wouldn’t say A Place to Call Home had broad appeal.

And if you look beyond the last five weeks, Ten has absolutely not been doing pretty well.

Fair points.

To be fair to 10, if you’re referring to summer, it is just that - out of survey.

Though I guess backing up your point, would be 10 have shot themselves in the foot, saying on record “50 week ratings year”.

People saying go for the oldies and give up on under 30s – what happens when the oldies die and the under 30s age? Does free to air broadcast tv go to a static screen? I can’t see how that is a long term option that’s sustainable.

I said broad appeal, which includes the oldies. I think the networks are fighting a losing battle to attract under 30s in big numbers.

More the last decade or so.

FTA is a mass medium. Different programs will appeal to different people across the schedule. But as long as you get a fair chunk of cross viewership within each program that spread out across different programming, you can generate more consistent and strong ratings with chip in for new programs commissioned from that consistency, as long as it isn’t clear crap.

This one demo across whole schedule for main channels will never be a long term solution for FTA. It is almost impossible to deliver without becoming niche and alienating your other viewers.

Re, the 13 year lows for Today: Realistically it won’t happen in this “play it safe” environment but I’d really like to see Nine do to weekday breakfast television what they’ve already done to their 4pm bulletins (five local/state-based editions, if that isn’t already obvious).

Also, can Nine please finally do something about improving their Sydney weather coverage/presenters? At a time the bulletin should be enjoying flow-on effects from MAFS (as much as I absolutely despise the program, there’s no denying that the market loves it), I’d be extremely concerned that the gap is only 6k at 6.30pm if I was Darren Wick or Simon Hobbs.

Now those dead horses have been flogged…

Yep, I agree.

Seven will continue to produce Home & Away for as long as there’s a decent international market for it, but here in Australia it really should be airing on 7TWO.

Can’t argue with that.

Even though it’s doing quite well as it is, I also wonder what heights MAFS could’ve soared to if it was airing right after the news on weeknights, because there’s been an obvious dip in numbers during ACA from my observations.

Knowing what Ten’s ratings have been like in recent years, I personally think they’d be happy with ANY viewers if it means getting a higher share of the audience than the ABC. As Bort rightly pointed out…

…because most people under the age of about 25 or 30 are turning to the internet for entertainment and information.

It should be obvious to you that this idea is cost inhibitive and not the way of the future. If anything, more state-based programming will become national if networks are to survive.

The CW (aka superhero channel) in America seem to make it work.

A recent podcast had Michael Stephenson (Nine’s sales boss) drill home the message “there’s not a single media buyer in this country that buys off Total People”.

Which for a network like Seven, that skews old, is concerning.

And for 10, even if Total People continues alright for DWTS, if key demos crash and burn, also concerning.

Money, money, money.

I wonder if the Coles and other food advertisers have flocked to Married At First Sight now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just on that, even though humorous, Coles have been principal sponsors of MKR and MasterChef since day dot, two shows that continue to perform well in key demos 10+ years on.

Grocery Buyers with Children I’d imagine is the key demo there. Do you think families/kids are watching the M-rated Married? No.