Mock Schedules

'Tis the season to be mocking. It’s never too early to envisage what Network 10 will look in the future. Here is a mock schedule for 2020.

Q1
7:30pm - I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here! (Sun-Thu)
8:30pm - Bondi Rescue (Sun), Summer Serial Drama (Mon-Fri)

Q2
7:30pm - Dancing with the Stars (Sun), Changing Rooms (Mon-Wed), Fire Rescue (Thu)
8:30pm - Five Bedrooms (Sun), HYBPA? (Mon), 48 Hours (Tues), Welcome to Woop Woop/The Break Room (Wed), Gogglebox (Thu)

Q3
7:30pm - Sunday Night Takeaway (Sun), Masterchef (Mon-Thu)
8:30pm - My Life Is Murder (Sun), HYBPA? (Mon), SES: Everyday Heroes (Tues), Mr. Black/Coppers (Wed), COPS Australia (Thu)

Q4
7:30pm - Australian Idol 2020 (Sun), Australian Survivor (Mon-Tues), The Bachelor (Wed-Thu)
8:30pm - The Secrets She Keeps (Sun), HYBPA? (Mon), 48 Hours (Tues), Dave/How to Stay Married (Wed), Gogglebox (Thu)

Q5
7:30pm - The Secret Life of 4/5 Year Olds (Sun), The Amazing Race (Mon-Tues), The Bachelorette (Wed-Thu)
8:30pm - Rove Live (Sun), Hughesy, We Have a Problem (Mon), Ambulance Australia (Tues), Kinne Tonight (Wed), Trial by Kyle (Thu)

What’s New?
Summer Serial (working title) (Q1) - A serial drama/soap opera aired weeknights over the ratings off-season. Possibly set in Brisbane.
48 Hours (Q2/Q4) - Lure Matt Doran back over to 10 as anchor of 48 Hours. Essentially the same format as the US, telling true crime stories.
Australian Idol (Q4) - In the spirit of revivals, Australian Idol returns for one year only as the search to discover Australia’s next big commercial success begins. Having introduced Australia to the likes of Guy Sebastian, Shannon Noll, Anthony Callea, Ricki-Lee Coulter, Jessica Mauboy, Matt Corby and Stan Walker, Ian Dickson and Marcia Hines are joined as judges by season 1 winner Guy Sebastian with Osher Gunsberg returning as host.
The Amazing Race (Q5) - A massive reality hit on CBS, eleven teams of two race around the world.

Sitcoms - Wednesday nights become comedy nights with 10 investing in six sitcoms across the year. In addition to Mr. Black and How to Stay Married, 10 commission Dave. They are joined by new shows Welcome to Woop Woop which follows a family that moves from the big smoke to the bush, The Break Room (borrowing elements from The Office and the How to Stay Married pilot) which follows a dysfunctional law firm and Coppers (working title) following a rookie cop and his colleagues in the force (borrowing elements from Brooklyn Nine-Nine).

Factuals - Following the success of Ambulance Australia and Bondi Rescue, comes three new factual series following various emergency services. Fire Rescue, SES: Everyday Heroes and COPS Australia.

Multichannels
Entertainment Tonight (hosted by Angela Bishop) joins the daytime line-up at 4pm leading in to B&B. Encore presentation at 6pm on 10 Peach. Sports Tonight becomes a regular fixture on 10 Boss at 6pm weeknights. Both shows would be filmed out of Sydney/Melbourne studios respectively at 4pm (ET live) before 10 News First.

Notes:
Big Brother could replace I’m a Celebrity. Julia Morris would host Big Brother with Dr. Chris Brown on The Amazing Race.
I would be open to getting rid of Rove Live, Kinne Tonight and Trial by Kyle.
Possible replacement shows include: Shark Tank, Todd Sampson’s Body Hack, Science of Awesome (with Derek Muller and Todd Sampson), Good News Week or new sitcoms (revival of Frontline, The Castle TV adaptation, CBS co-production: We’re a Weird Mob of an Aussie family moving to the US).

2 Likes

Very much liking what you have put together / the vision.

2 Likes

This is a gem of an idea. But I would like to put my 2 cents worth here. Ten should look at separating Ten News First on the main channel from the sports segment (similar to the structure Seven News was in Sydney pre 1988). Here is what I mean:

Ten
5:00pm Ten News First - structured with local national and international news and weather
5:45pm Sports Tonight
6:00pm Game Show

Sports Tonight on 10Boss could be produced cheaper this way, first 15 minutes with an encore of Sports Tonight (state edition) followed by national and international events not already covered. In addition I would test the waters on extending Friday to Sunday to 1 hour editions covering the week that was in sport and the weekend fixtures.

I will probably be criticised for ending a show not on the half hour, but thats what I would try and an cost effective strategy.

1 Like

I think separating Sports Tonight from 10 News First could be a good idea, but that would mean Sports Tonight couldn’t be it’s own program on 10 Boss.

Localised sports news doesn’t really work in a market like Australia. Other than the AFL/NRL divide, there would be too much crossover, better just to have either a full national edition or full local edition.

I think people would be a bit annoyed if in Sydney they spent 10 minutes on NRL with 2 minutes on AFL and then the other 15 minutes on NBA/NFL. Hyper-localised sports news would only really work in a market like the United States e.g. Denver local sports would talk Nuggets, Broncos, Rockies, Avalanche with national discussing wider NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL news.

Let us look ahead 10 maybe 20 years… scheduled linear channels will be no more… all content will be on demand streamed at ultra fast speed via the national 10G network; it will be so fast that downloading will be completed before you even thought about watching the program.

Each network will have 3 or 4 “LIVE” channels which will be used for live streaming of sports and events - the only time the audience will want to set an appointment to watch.

Network popularity will be driven solely on the content they have to offer. The role of a program director deciding on clever scheduling strategies will be gone. But the role of a content director, charged with securing valuable programming, will be enhanced.

2 Likes

I think we will have one channel for each station with the “programming” be similar to 9Gem at the moment with infomercials most of the morning (perhaps in 7 and 9’s case air a 2 hour breakfast show 6:30am to 8:30am. Kids programs would return to 3pm til 4:30pm with a short format game show (or soap) followed by news across all 3 commercial channels

My big 2 year plan for 10. Shuffle of reality shows and changes to the 6:00 and 8:30 slots.

6PM - Until Masterchef begins Pointless to stay put.
Friday-Sunday - Sports Project - similar to Sports Tonight but with a mix of The Project - some big interviews and inside stories. Josh Gibson to stay as host.
MAY ONWARDS - Come Dine With Me Australia - 4 times a week with a contestant walking away with $10k every week.
Sports Project to stay Friday-Sunday.

6:30-7:30 The Project - now Saturday edition to take place.

7:30 timeslot

January-February - I’m a Celebrity
February - March - Sunday Night Takeaway, Dancing With The Stars, Ambulance Australia, Changing Rooms
March - May - Sunday Night Takeaway, Dancing With The Stars, Bachelor in Paradise
May - July Masterchef
August - October Sunday Night Takeway, Survivor, Bachelor
October - November Sunday Night Takeaway, The Masked Singer, Ambulance Australia, The Bachelorette
November - Christmas I’m a Celebrity Get Me Outta Here

8:30 - Drama, Light Entertainment
9:30 - Factual/News/Current Affairs shows/Documentaries; 48 Hours Australia, Lisa Wilkenson Specials, Wanted Australia, Taboo, Crime Australia
10:00 Ten Late News
10:30 US Drama

2020 - this is where I am going to start changing up the schedule (having moved Celebrity forward it creates a new opportunity to begin the year)

SUNDAY JANUARY 12TH - SATURDAY FEBRUARY 15TH - 6 WEEK RUN
7:30 - Sunday Night Takeaway, Secret Life of 4 Year Olds S2, Ambulance Australia, Bachelor in Paradise

SUNDAY FEBRUARY 16TH - SATURDAY MAY 9TH - 10 WEEK RUN
7:30 Big Brother - the first season will see a return of previous seasons big brothers to bring back the die hard fans.

SUNDAY 10TH MAY - 1ST SATURDAY 1ST AUGUST 12 Week Run
7:30 Masterchef

SUNDAY AUGUST 2ND - SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 19TH 8 Week Run
7:30 Dancing With The Stars, Survivor, Bachelor

SUNDAY 20TH SEPTEMBER - SATURDAY 31ST OCTOBER 6 week run
7:30 The Masked Singer, The Amazing Race Australia, The Bachelorette

SUNDAY 1ST NOVEMBER - SATURDAY 28TH NOVEMBER
7:30 I’m a Celebrity Get Me Outta Here

SUNDAY 29TH NOVEMBER - THURSDAY 24TH DECEMBER
7:30 Sunday Night Takeway, Changing Rooms Australia, Ambulance Australia

I know this discussion has been had many a time before, and that 10 have denied interest in starting such a program repeatedly but they would be absolutely fucking bonkers if they didn’t launch some form of morning program with everything happening at Nine and Today currently. Doesn’t have to match Sunrise of Today in length or content either.

10 This Morning with Hugh Riminton and Natasha Belling (my preference is to have her on Studio 10 replacing Sarah Harris who would move to 10 This Morning). Similar in format to ABC News Breakfast. Start at 7am. Run till 8:30.

Sam Maiden to join for political opinion [will cover morning politics across the network with PVO in the evenings - would be hell of a duo for election night]

Studio 10 through to 11 am.

10 News First - This Morning through to midday.

4 Likes

It will be a great alternative to Sunrise and Today

It is something I hope they look into but I doubt it.

10 News First Breakfast 7-8.30 with Natarsha Belling (7-7.10 national headlines, 7.12-7.18 international headlines, 7.20-7.24 sports headlines, 7.26-7.28 weather. Rinse and repeat.)

One day I hope to see a news/current affairs schedule on 10 that features: 10 News First Breakfast (07.00-08.30), Studio 10 (08.30-11.00), 10 News First Mornings (11.00-12.00), Entertainment Tonight (16.30-17.00), 10 News First (17.00-18.00), Sports Tonight (18.00-18.30), The Project (18.30-19.30), 10 News First Late (21.30-22.00) plus 48 Hours Australia and Spotlight (current affairs - more similar to Four Corners than Sunday Night or 60 Minutes).

A pipe dream yes, but hey who knows what could happen.

1 Like

See I would be inclined to go with something like this personally. Also a pipe-dream.

6:00 10 This Morning with Sarah Harris, Hugh Rimminton and Jeremy Hernandez (weekday team) - 7 days a week
8:30 Studio 10 (weekday only)
11:00 10 News First - Morning Edition (weekday only)

3 permanent member presentation style will be an element across morning programs.

7 days a week
5:00 10 News First at Five - National Edition with updates for Perth. High profile anchor. Standing presentation.
6:00 10 This Evening. The project renamed.
7:00 10 News First - Evening Edition. Hyper local.

10:30 10 News First - Late Edition. (11:30 weekends)

’10 This [insert morning / evening]’ ties in very nicely with 10 Daily website.

As previously mentioned Sam Maiden would join as political commentator across the mornings, with PVO covering evenings.

Election coverage will be fronted by Hugh Riminton and Lisa Wilkinson, with PVO and Sam Maiden rounding out the panel.

1 Like

How to fix Ten’s early evening-primetime woes

4.30pm Bold and Beautiful
5.00pm 10 Evening News
6.00pm Deal or No Deal/Wheel of Fortune/Jeopardy! Australia
6.30pm The Project
7.00pm Primetime programming
10.30pm 10 Late News and Sports Tonight

1 Like

Simple ways to fix 10’s current primetime woes:

5:00 Pointless
5:30 10 News First
6:00 The Project
7:00 10 News First
7:30 Primetime

7:30 Sunday to Thursday:

January-February: Bachelor in Paradise
February-May: Sunday Night Takeaway, Dancing with the Stars, Ambulance Australia, Changing Rooms
May-August: Masterchef
August-November: Survivor/Bachelor/Bachelorette
November-January: I’m a Celebrity, Get me outta Here

8:30
Sunday: Sports Tonight
Monday: Have You Been Paying Attention/Hughesy we have a problem
Tuesday: Fast-tracked imports/Trial By Kyle (don’t like the show but since it rates, let it fill this slot)/Kinne Tonight
Wednesday: Australian Drama
Thursday: Gogglebox/How to Stay Married/Taboo/Show Me The Movie!
Friday: Graham Norton/Encores (apparently they rate alright for Fridays)
Saturday: Celebrity Name Game/Rove’s Saturday Night Show (Bring Back…Saturday Night or whatever it’s called) (air at 7pm/7:30 respectively)

Simples. It would rate higher than whatever trash they’re pumping out nowadays.

Keen to hear what others think.

1 Like

Sorry for double posting, but following on from the conversation in the Australia’s Got Talent thread, here’s some proposed plans for Seven in the future in terms of stripped reality.

January-April: MKR (get a head start on Celebrity and MAFS)
April-July: Instant Hotel
July-September: The Masked Singer or Come Sing with Me (Sunday, Monday), A new variety show like Running Man/Infinite Challenge or Happy Camp (Tuesday), Mission Impossible (a talent show where the impossible is achieved and records are set) (Wednesday)
September-December: All Together Now (Sunday, Monday), Zumbo’s Just Desserts (Tuesday, Wednesday)

Don’t care what people think about Seven targeting older or younger viewers. Seven needs to go younger or they’ll not survive.

1 Like

4pm Neighbours (first run then played 6:30pm on 10Peach)
4:30pm The Bold and the Beautiful
5pm 10 News First
5:30pm Pointless
6pm Everyday Gourmet with Justine Schofield
6:30pm 10 News First
7pm I’m A Celebrity, Get Me Outta Here! (Rotated with MasterChef, Survivor, Bachelor franchise etc)
8:30pm Drama/ Comedy etc
9:30pm The Project
10:30pm Sports Tonight
11pm US content

I like the idea of switching up The Project to late night. If I had to devise a schedule on the fly it would be:

15.00 Ready Steady Cook (revived)
16.00 Everyday Gourmet with Justine Schofield
17.00 10 News First (local)
17.45 Sports Tonight (from Melbourne w/ Matt White, switch display screens over)
18.00 Entertainment Tonight (from Sydney w/ Angela Bishop, switch display screens over)
18.30 10 News First (local)
19.00 Primetime
20.00 Primetime
21.00 The Project
22.00 US content

Would 10 throw the dice and air programs on the hour?

Option 2:
19.00 The Big Quiz (Hosted by Scott Tweedie; interactive quiz show where viewers play along on an app for the chance to win prizes i.e. cash, cars, holidays, other prizes from sponsors)
19.30 Primetime
20.30 Primetime
21.30 The Project
22.30 US content

1 Like

I don’t know about changing the names of bulletins. “The Earliest”, “The Recent”, “The Closest” doesn’t sound very good.

Don’t know if axing Home and Away is a good idea. If you are going to do so maybe an interactive primetime game show (see above)?

2 Likes

Accidental satire is the best kind

5 Likes

With the Masked Singer premiering with 9.4 million and pulling in record figures in the 18-49 demos, the networks are in for a tug of war. Would love to see Endemol/Network 10 collaborate on the format.

They could give Bachelor in Paradise or I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here! a rest, and air the show for an 8-week run before Masterchef.

Format the show similar to the South Korean version with a new cast of celebrities each week. I would suggest the following format:
Sunday - All eight celebrities perform in four separate one-on-one heats, judges pick the best in each matchup to go through. The losing celebrity is revealed at the end of each match-up.
Monday - Two semifinals then a final followed by a performance by the ‘Fan’s Favourite’.

Shows would be aired live, an opportunity for some harmless fun. Runtime would probably be 90-120mins with commercials.

For the premiere it would be awesome if they did a masked reveal of each of the judges after performing a song.

Now for my favourite part: creating a dream cast.

Hosts: Sam Hammington or Lawrence Leung
Judges: Dami Im (lock), Dicko or Marcia, comedian (Tahir or Ronny Chieng)

Now imagine the possible ‘celebs’ you could get. There are a ton of comedians, reality tv stars and ex-footy players looking for some exposure. Can’t wait to see what Jack Riewoldt has up his sleeve.

I would love to see 10 put I’m a Celeb in November and possibly Paradise in December.

I do think the Masked Singer would be good on 10.