Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 8, 2018

Am I the only one that doesn’t think this makes sense?

A hell of a lot more.

2 Likes

Why has the 4BC audience increased? Where has the audience come from?

Other stations? Increased TSL or cume or both?

The “Other Stations” ratings in Brisbane went down from 18.3% last survey to 16.8% this survey.

Incredibly, 4BC is #1 in the 65+, outrating ABC Brisbane & 4KQ.

1 Like

Did 2SM ever get that low before Bill pulled them from the ratings?

1 Like

In its last survey back in 1/2004, they did get down to 0.1% overall share.

3 Likes

On Wikipedia it reads “In 2002 the night time show, hosted by Graeme Gilbert, scored a rating of just 0.1%, the lowest rating ever recorded for a commercial program in a metro market in Australia. 2SM subsequently withdrew from the Sydney radio ratings” But how trustworthy is Wiki?

My memory is that 2SM pulled out of the ratings so they were not listed on the ratings form, but their ratings were still being reported based on people writing 2SM in the blank space on the form. iirc, 2SM protested that this was reporting an inaccurate figure so they got dropped from the reported ratings. Is this right?? (Or am I thinking of 2KY?)

1 Like

As pointed out by some on here, 2CH needs to learn from 4KQ and Cruise. “Easy Classics” is never gonna cut it in a market where Smooth exists on FM. They should just copy the KQ playlist.

97.3 needs to change course as well. Too disjointed and the music is repetitive and safe (lame even - especially the older music they play - who picks that rubbish?). Hit 105 could probably increase their lead over 97.3 if they went a bit 2day.

Cruise is amazing in Adelaide. What on earth is going on with Triple M and Hit in that city?

Actually Triple M is pretty ordinary everywhere except Brisbane and Perth - and if they mess with Mix too much more over there who knows.

Smooth FM is needed in Brisbane. Smooth 882/DAB would work.

MSR. What can anyone say about that?

3 Likes

To be fair to 2CH, those will mostly be throw away figures, but I’m not surprised at them.

2CH was playing way too many 60’s songs, & for about half the year, were running sweepers saying we listened to you, so now we’re playing more 60’s & 70’s (or something to that effect), & it was sounding very old & quite bad, to anyone not in a nursing home.
I don’t know who they were listening to, but the ratings weren’t lining up with them saying listeners wanted more 60’s & 70’s?

After Cherie Remano took over, & at long last with Bob Rodgers retiring, they’ve changed tack, & there’s very few 60’s now, with the bulk of music being 70’s & a nice amount of 80’s stuff building.

Bob retiring & the change of music to be more modern, would’ve only happened during the last 1 or 2 weeks of this survey period, so changes won’t be noted in this survey, this would’ve been remnants of the old 60’s & 70’s format.

I think 2CH is now a very good alternative to Smooth, & I think they’ll build next year, as they play a lot of the 70’s & 80’s stuff that Smooth doesn’t play.

They’re probably approaching, with a bit more work on the format, to be like a Classic Hits 2WS of the late 80’s, early 90’s around the time of conversion from AM to FM?

5 Likes

It does make sense if you read it and quote it in context and leave in the words “even more embarrassing than…”

4 Likes

I remember 2ws did play a lot of 60s. But it was more up beat stuff. More variety is the key in my view and more advertising too.

2 Likes

Yes agree. Look at 4KQ, they play a lot of 60s and 70s.

1 Like

A few more highlights:

SYDNEY
Nova - largest share since S8/2009

MELBOURNE
Smooth - largest share ever (edges out previous record of 10.5 in S6/2017)

BRISBANE
Triple M - largest share since S5/2006 and first back-to-back wins since S2/2006

3 Likes

Unsure why Perth Now has released this in January:

Article gives no clues as to which station is beating the PR drum, if any.

1 Like

Has former mix 94.5 Lisa Shaw joined 6pr

Carmen Braidwood ex 96 is on PR now.

PerthNow is a news.com site? Probably just any excuse to bash the ABC and it’s a slow news day. :wink:

1 Like

The timing does seem a little odd. But as to the content everyone takes a swipe at the opposition when the opportunity arises.

Even the blessed ABC has put out at least one news release pointedly declaring themselves Australia’s number one news channel comparing its ratings with those of Sky News.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that :sunglasses:

1 Like

Not difficult to achieve.

@KnowItAll, what’s the URL of the media release?