Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 3, 2016

I hadn’t considered DAB. And I think the 40+ age group are heavy adopters of DAB if I recall correctly

Neither did I to be honest. :open_mouth:

And yes, I do agree that the 40+ would be heavy adopters of DAB+, mainly due to providing a superior sound quality of the AM stations, as well as the digital-only music stations that would appeal to that demographic. If I have a car that has DAB+ radio, I would spend a lot of time on that band whilst travelling around, particularly in the major cities where there’s coverage. I do have a DAB+ radio at home.

FYI, the next DAB+ ratings report will be released on Monday 27th June.

2 Likes

What’s gone wrong (well, a bit anyway) with the usually competitive 774 ABC Melbourne, Red Symons & Jon Faine (a key election interviewer) both key presenters.

Trounced across the board by 3AW, which for survey 3, was unbelievably high.

I think the next two surveys will be interesting…

@Brianc68 As it turned out, it’s not just Sydney that has experienced a high “Other” figure on among the 40-54s. As I’m going through my ratings calculations on the spreadsheet, Brisbane is another city where they have a very high “Other” figure on among the 40-54s, which accounts for a whopping 22% share, beating out 97.3FM’s 40-54 share of 20.9%.

Fox the highest listened too FM station in the country. Thank god they didn’t change to the Hit brand

1 Like

ARN wonders why KIIS in Melbourne and 96FM in Perth were relaunched (with the lips logo) and yet have both failed to gain any traction in each market.
What could KIIS in Sydney have that KIIS in Melbourne and 96FM in Perth do not have? The answer is Kyle and Jackie O.
Launching the KIIS branding without Kyle and Jackie O is like…well…2UE without Alan Jones since 2002.
Whereas the smooth brand is a true music positioner that does not rely on big name stars, the KIIS brand relied on Kyle and Jackie O in Sydney to succeed. The Sydney success was mistaken for a brand that could be launched as a successful hit music brand across the capital cities - just like Nova was in 2000.
No doubt KIIS in Melbourne have weakened Fox and Nova - but not challenged either station. 96FM in Perth rate strongest with 40 - 54 year olds. But I think they had that market sown up before the lips appeared.
Maybe KIIS should have stayed as a Sydney phenomenon. Mind you I am absolutely sure that smooth loved it when Mix101.1 ceased broadcasting.
A set of pink and purple lips does not make a successful hit music station. Unless those lips belong to Kyle and Jackie.

2 Likes

I think Gemma sounds experienced & wonderful a wonderful person, but, I she’s really just ‘sugarcoating’ everything?

I lostened to her ratings interview on Radio Today.

Too passive and optimistic I say.

Whereas (for comparison), Duncan Campbell from ARN is much more realistic & serious (perhaps honest too)?

None the less, fantastic results for 1019 the FOX & Hamish and Andy across Australia :slight_smile:

As well a growth in 2Day FM & Rove and Sam. Hamish & Andy pulling more solid figures now…

Maybe some growth but still sixth.

1. Kyle and Jackie O (KIIS) 9.9 (-1.4)
  2. Fitzy & Wippa (Nova) 7.4 (+1.1)
  3. Jonesy and Amanda (2WS) 6.9 (-1.1)
  4. Matt and Alex (2JJJ) 6.4 (-0.7)
  5. Grill Team (2MMM) 6.4 (-0.5)
  6. Rove and Sam (2Day) 3.3 (+0.3)
3 Likes

Totally agree. The secret to KIIS’s success is not KIIS itself. Hell, they could’ve kept it as Mix and so long as they had K&J they were bound to win.

K&J could’ve gone to 2UE and listeners would’ve followed.

4 Likes

@TV-Expert
That’s interesting. I’m not surprised the “other” category in Brisbane is so high. DAB stations like Smooth and Classic Rock, and now the new Easy Radio station will start to take s bigger slice of the audience away from the commercial FMs as Brisbane doesn’t have a Pure Gold or Smooth format on FM.

Re: The digital stations, lots of women in their 30s mention listening to Double J, and even my local IGA plays it all day. I wish we had DAB in the car because I couldn’t find anything worth listening to on Sydney/Central Coast channels the past few weekends.

Thank goodness we have the Breeze and River 94.9 then.99.7 from Redcliffe is a great station to listen to also.

@Rupert
Yes Double J is on in my local café, alternating with Classic Rock. I hear Smooth (DAB in Brisbane) everywhere. I highly recommend getting DAB in the car - you’ll never look back. It’s coming standard now in a lot of mainstream cars like Camry, Focus and Mitsubishi Lancer. I spend 90% of my time on DAB in the car, and the other 10% on fringe FM stations here in South East Qld (River 94.9, Rebel, Breeze and 99.7)

@Karen_Cee
Yes agree. Thank god for the fringe stations.