Media Spy: History and Memories

Yeah, don’t think Evulant/Evo presented any mock news bulletins though.

More great memories I have of the old Media Spy forums were the launches of 4ME and Extra in 2011/12. Who could ever forget the viewer reactions to reduced picture quality of the other network channels?! And then there was some of the more interesting content like Psychic TV, Call & Win, Chat 121 (which I believe a member of the time actually managed to get a shout-out to Media Spy on!) and Babe TV - Nine got a wrap over the knuckles by ACMA over the last one and there was even speculation that one of the two complainers may have been from Media Spy due to his very specific complaint related to program classification! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

A bit earlier than that, but I’m fairly sure MediaSpy also got a shout out on the 7HD exclusive The NightCap. Very obscure multichannel TV programs are obviously the MediaSpy mention niche.

7 Likes

Was a little before my time, but wasn’t someone who is now a right wing journalist a member on here in their younger days? I can’t remember who it was right now, but i’ve seen it occasionally mentioned here.

Edit: Was it Caleb Bond?

Yep, Caleb Bond.

In contrast to his more recent work with News Corp I remember Caleb being fairly centric, perhaps even slightly progressive during his Media Spy days!

I miss that show!

2 Likes

It’s about the only show I can think of that had an on screen presenter for the classification advisory.

He’s still here, but as more of a silent, omnipresent being.

3 Likes

Oh my. What was his account name?

Caleb Bond went under his actual name during his time on the forums, if I’m not mistaken.

When was that? I don’t really recall that and I’ve been here for a while

It was around 2014-15 on the pre-Discourse version of Media Spy.

As his views started to change in 2015, he briefly did Alan Jones-style commentary segments for a program on Yass FM 100.3 which may have been presented by another former MS member.

1 Like

Maybe 2013-14 back on the old boards?

1 Like

Back when Media Spy was news in The Sydney Morning Herald with the infamous Robert Hughes ‘interview’.

SMH article in this column:

1 Like

I joined Media Spy back in February 2014, just a couple of weeks before my 15th birthday if I remember correctly. My original username was CX7 News. The night I joined still really stands out to me. I decided to show my Mum what the site was like (it’s not something I had to do, but anyway) and ask her if I was allowed to create an account on here; I deliberately picked one of the daily ratings threads so that she wouldn’t see the inappropriate banter posted in the other threads. :joy:

I used to be a very frequent poster on Media Spy back then. One of my biggest faults at the time was that I used to take people’s criticisms to heart and then act defensive because I thought they were attacking me personally. It was the reason why I found myself placed on the mod queue on NYE 2015 and in retrospect, I don’t blame the moderators for making that decision.

That was really the turning point for me, tbh. I still post on here every now and then, but I have never been a regular poster on Media Spy since that incident. There’s several reasons for why that is the case. The main one is because I created a forum of my own back in May 2017 and a lot of my spare time is focused on managing Popedia. Admittedly, my interest in the media has also waned over time as well; I don’t upload recordings anywhere near as often as I once did. I have never been particularly obsessive about the networks or the media in general either; you won’t see me being particularly bias towards certain news presenters or networks. I’m not a “fanboy” of any network. My interest in the media makes up just one of the many different hobbies that I have.

11 Likes

She won’t be joining us for Media Spy After Dark? :frowning:

1 Like

Hope I’m not opening up a can of worms by asking this but what was Media Spy like back then?

1 Like

Shit happens as they say. I got off on the wrong foot when I first joined. Members didn’t like me for using their caps in my own stuff without crediting them before I became a member. I was also part of a ‘revolt’ in the late '00s and joined another forum out of protest against the evil MS team. They weren’t evil, I was just young and being overly dramatic. It was all just silliness looking back now.

I always enjoyed your posts and watching videos on your various YT channels. No harm no foul I reckon.

5 Likes

I was around then under another name. I got to know first hand.

I remember visiting the site around 2003… I didn’t join until 2008 I think. The site was very different back then.

I think I joined in 2006.

It was basically like this AusCelebs forum
https://forums.auscelebs.net/viewforum.php?f=88

Endless caps of news presenters etc. IIRC Karen Tso was very popular back then. :slight_smile:

7 Likes