MasterChef Australia

3 Likes

Nigella Week

4 Likes

Nigella week was filmed back in mid January this year. So after this week’s episodes, the remaining contestants had quite a long Christmas and New Year break before filming resumed.

1 Like

I don’t mind Masterchef but man the judges can be really over the top and annoying at times.

2 Likes

Agree, it needs a shake up for the next season. Ideally they should’ve dropped George for the current one and added someone new, such as a strong female to the trio.

2 Likes

I agree,George can be annoying sometimes,like when he yells out “30 seconds!”, before time is up.I’m sure all the cooks are aware how much time is remaining.

Are contestants allowed to cook the same dish more than once?

I’m not not sure there is a rule that states no but I don’t think it would be looked upon well by the judges.

There have been contestants in the past who have reattempted dishes that they didn’t nail the first time around, does that count?

And then there are some who basically cook variations of the same thing every single challenge (ie Mr Ice Cream last year).

Great episode tonight. The only disappointment was that viewers did not get to hear Melbourne players (both AFL and AFLW) on their views on the dishes, except co-captain Nathan Jones. I wonder if club management stipulated that the players were not to be interviewed during filming as one of the conditions for the Demons’ involvement in the show?

3 Likes

Great episode ,I’ve always enjoyed watching team challenges.Also got a great look at the MCG ,the “hallowed turf” I like how “Masterchef Australia “ was displayed on the scoreboard

1 Like

The first female contestant has been eliminated. I thought that this would be like previous seasons ,all the male contestants are eliminated first up.Matt Preston must have been unwell or had other commitments when these last 2 episodes were taped.Cant wait for Nigella week next week

Apparently they are still filming the current season. According to The Daily Telegraph, Gary, George and Matt were shooting the show at Sydney’s Bondi Icebergs this week (presumably for the final MasterClass of the season) while slamming the city’s 1.30am lockout laws.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/foodies-declare-they-would-have-put-their-foot-down-to-stop-lockout-laws/news-story/8e1ccc65fce94341e4288627bad0bc4e

2 Likes

The contestants could not believe their luck when they had consecutive special guests in Nigella Lawson and Gordon Ramsay. But since Ramsay only stayed in Melbourne during the second week of Australian Open tennis, there was no MasterClass and contestants had to film five days in a row.
From my post back on January 20:

1 Like

The contestants were getting too much help in the pressure test. In past seasons the judges and guest chef used to ask questions and drop little hints if they saw something wrong. Now they pretty much tell them what to do.

Nigella’s presence is enough for me to watch.

But I do find some of her feedback very generic, especially for middle of the road dishes.

After all, she’s not a chef extraordinaire. She came from humble home cook beginnings and is still known for such, so perhaps less harsh and knowledgeable about certain complex or fancy dishes?

2 Likes

By winning tonight’s mystery box challenge, Kristen gets to go to London to have afternoon tea with Nigella Lawson at Fortnum & Mason department store at Piccadilly. It’s a great consolation prize if Kristen doesn’t win this year’s title. I think the trip will be taken after the grand final has been filmed.

1 Like

I don’t think it is a lack of knowledge, more a desire to be encouraging. She was the same on the US version of The Taste. She leaves the harshness up to the regulars.

1 Like

Remember Shui Ishizaka from Bennelong who beat Chloe by two points in last week’s immunity challenge? Shui was named Electrolux Appetite for Excellence Young Chef of the Year in August 2017. The runner-up was Alanna Sapwell, head chef of Saint Peter of Paddington, and she would appear on tomorrow night’s immunity challenge.

I was struggling to get into this season but Nigella week has got me back into the show. I really do like her and for me more than anything it highlights how much this show lacks a female judge.

4 Likes