MasterChef Australia

I thought you were talking about MKR above…

4 Likes

Ah, the beauty of opinions! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

They will be doing a team challenge at the South Melbourne market next Wednesday 18th Jan at 12pm. I am going to try and get off work to check it out. Had a lot of fun with the Chinese New Year challenge last year.

Me too.

3 Likes

Well, if you ignored the small fact that MKR is in fact Australia’s highest rating programme, not MasterChef. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

So I popped out of work today to head down to South Melbourne Market where the team challenge was taking place.

When I arrived before midday there were already heaps of people there. There were 4 teams of 4 set up cooking but the crowd was a bit back so you couldn’t really see too much of what was going on. Every team was selling a main for $10 and a dessert for $8. Most teams desserts seemed to be donuts and the mains more Asian inspired dishes. The whole thing was really badly set up and it wasn’t clear where you had to line up to get to each team. All these vegan protesters turned up too holding signs of animals on them and the words ‘I am not an ingredient, I am someone’. They were everywhere throughout the crowd so it’s going to be hard for them to edit it out.

After being there for about 45 minutes time was up and service started. The lines weren’t directly in front of the teams so nobody really knew who they were going to end up at. The blue team that I ended up in line for I waited more than 30 minutes and they probably served no more than 10 customers in that time. The guy serving had to go back and help plate up with the rest of the team so nothing was getting out. At that point I left without eating as I needed to get back to work. It seemed like the yellow team next to them were struggling getting out dishes as well. The other teams though seemed to have plenty of food going so I probably got stuck in the wrong line.

Overall did not have a whole lot of fun this time around. Last years CNY challenge was heaps of fun but this was in a bad location, cramped, too many people, teams didn’t have food ready etc so was disappointing.

3 Likes

Disappointing to read you did not enjoy today’s team challenge.
By my calculation, this will be week 5 of the competition, assuming 1 contestant eliminated in week 1 after top 24 was decided, then two eliminations in each of the next three competition weeks. When filming resumed after the festive break, another contestant would have been gone last week or on Monday, leaving 16 people for today.

2 Likes

I can’t wait for the next season of Masterchef,they must start filming the next season not long after the previous one ends

1 Like

Each season usually starts filming in October-November and ends the following May. There are breaks for Christmas / New Year and Easter.

2 Likes

[quote=“Chris, post:769, topic:366”]
All these vegan protesters turned up too holding signs of animals on them and the words ‘I am not an ingredient, I am someone’.[/quote]

Er, most of the country eats meat, so obviously that will be reflected on a cooking TV show. It seems odd to target Masterchef specifically when their beef (pardon the pun) is with the eating habits of the vast majority of the Western world.

MasterChef judges ambushed by vegans at South Melbourne Market

VEGANS claimed their stake during a protest at the filming of Channel Ten’s MasterChef Australia at the South Melbourne Market.

Judges George Calombaris, Gary Mehigan and Matt Preston were yesterday ambushed by two-dozen vegan protesters while tucking into the dishes contestants had whipped up for a new season’s challenge.

The protesters were holding up signs displaying cute animals, saying they are not “ingredients” but “someone”.

Includes lots of photos

2 Likes

Yeah but I guess they’ll claim that shows like MasterChef encourage meat eating.
They’re just looking for a publicity stunt. If they thought they’d get the same attention they’d be protesting outside Burger King, McDonalds, etc. outlets.

2 Likes

This is the first time a MasterChef outdoor public challenge was ambushed by protesters, it is unfortunate. Will it be discussed on The Project tonight, if not last night?

1 Like

I overheard someone talking to one of the protesters and his view was that their aim was simply to highlight the connection between meat and the animal. He said people will see an animal and say that it’s cute and then go and eat meat. So I don’t think they were particularly protesting against the use of meat on cooking shows, they just saw a cooking TV show being filmed as an opportunity for them to get their message into peoples minds e.g. when you eat a kangaroo, you are eating a kangaroo that was once a living thing.

I don’t agree with it and I think most of these protests have the opposite affect to the message they are trying to preach because they just look like whiners who are trying to force their views/lifestyle onto people. Plus it did spoil the vibe of the whole event a little bit. I think in their mind though as long as a snippet of one of these signs is shown in the background of the show they achieved what they were there for.

1 Like

With a write-up in the Herald-Sun they have probably already exceeded their expectations.

3 Likes

I doubt Ch 10 would want to give any sneak peak / spoliers by publicising the incident.

It’s rather funny reading about this actually.

I can imagine the judges faces as they came out of nowhere protesting… :fearful:

2 Likes

I think people realise this already but it’s one of those things meat eaters like myself can accept and deal with unlike vegetarians/vegans who find it a foreign concept.

2 Likes

Vegans do tend to take it further than just not eating once-living things, with most also not eating or using animal products. So they don’t eat eggs despite them never being alive and won’t wear wool even though it is dead when the sheep is shorn.

1 Like

Because before cooking shows no one ate meat or made the correlation between meat and animals.

Dang I guess those vegans got us good.

Honestly don’t get why there so aggressive. I have a friend who turned vegan and he does not care what we eat vs him. But that’s another topic for another time I guess.

Mental

Oh please. Think about the mile of welfare issues associated with even the best practice egg farming.

I suppose this is a discussion for another place but what a ridiculous comment.