MasterChef Australia

MasterChef makes its debut on Australia Plus Television across South East Asia and South Pacific this week. It will start from season 7 which aired on Ten last year. However MC is only shown on APlus on Sundays and Mondays, so people who haven’t seen the show before will have to wait a long time to find out the winner.

Ten chief content officer Beverley McGarvey told Mumbrella that MasterChef would have “10 degree shifts” next season.

We take the development of MasterChef very seriously. People love it the way it is but love to see some change as well, we will make some small degree changes, a shift you may not notice, they’re 10 degrees not 90 degrees.

I wonder what the changes will be? Could it be how contestants will qualify for immunity challenge? How the winner in the team challenge will be decided?

Hopefully it’s picking contestants that can actually cook.

And then not shamelessly obsessing over people they identify as ‘personalities’ and ‘great narrators’.

Why would they change and do that?

I don’t understand the degrees shift comment. Does that refer to the cooking temperatures. Not going to cook quickly at 90 degrees.

To me it means the direction of the formats being discussed there (Masterchef, The Bachelor and The Bachelorette) will see a slight change for each format - it won’t be a ninety degree right turn just a subtle ten degrees, hardly noticeable.

4 Likes

Apparently the top 50 has been chosen but auditions have not begun just yet. I reckon it will be filmed sometime in the next two weeks, due to the RMIT university exams (which finish on November 11) and Equitana equine expo (November 17-20) being held at the Melbourne Showgrounds.

1 Like

Nigella Lawson is in the country this week. I wonder if she will be making an appearance on Masterchef? They should be filming the Top 24 stage by now right?

I think the top 24 stage would have begun by now, but there has been no reports of the first cooking challenge featuring this year’s winner Elena Duggan.
Due to events at Melbourne Showgrounds (there is Motoexpo this Friday to Sunday), there is limited timeframe for filming of the show to take place there, so we may see more challenges at hotels and outside venues in the show’s first few weeks.

Why can’t they film at the showgrounds just because there are events on? The showgrounds are a big place and most of these events are only in certain sections of the grounds. I don’t see how it would affect a closed off studio so much. I understand how things like Stereosonic might have in previous years (because of the loud music) but most events I wouldn’t think should impact on it too much.

Nigella was here for an event at Margaret River over the weekend. I can’t find anything else, though she could have flown to Melbourne for MC afterwards and we wouldn’t necessarily have heard about it.

Complete with Matt Preston with a beard.

1 Like

Congrats to MasterChef (Endemol Shine & Network Ten) :clap:

Took out the AACTA award for the second year in a row!

MasterChef Australia Wins AACTA Best Reality Television Series.

MasterChef Australia has added to its growing list of achievements, winning the Best Reality Television Series category at the sixth AACTA Awards last night.

The victory marked the second year in a row MasterChef Australia has taken the prize and was achieved in a hotly-contested category and Network Ten congratulates the other nominees: First Dates, My Kitchen Rules and The Recruit.

Last night’s honour caps a remarkable year for Australia’s most-loved reality television series, which is produced for Network Ten by Endemol Shine Australia.

Network Ten Chief Programming Officer, Beverley McGarvey, said: “It is a wonderful accolade that in its eighth season, MasterChef Australia is the recipient of the AACTA Award for the Best Reality Television Series.

“The show is the work of a large number of talented and passionate people. I would like to congratulate our amazing judges and mentors Gary Mehigan, George Calombaris, Matt Preston and Shannon Bennett – who bring the show to life – the Network Ten team led by Executive Producer Rick Maier and our partners at Endemol Shine Australia, led by Peter Newman and Marty Benson.”

Video

https://twitter.com/masterchefau/status/806653020461101056

3 Likes

Two cent award for a two cent programme. I really wish it would get the axe soon, so Gary and George can go back to cooking soup in a hot kitchen.

Remember Con? He always said he was going to open a restaurant in Hobart.

2 Likes

Gladly forgotten; sorry to see his sad mug again.

@Firetorch. Did you get fired by Channel Ten? You seem to be very bitter towards them! :slight_smile: If we have to have cooking shows on TV at least Masterchef is the best of them. I’d understand if you were rubbishing the crappy MKR.

4 Likes

Agree. Calling it a two cent program is rubbish.

3 Likes

I disagree. One is insufferable, smug, pretentious, and hosted by (at least) two wankers.

The other is Australia’s highest rating TV programme, and has been for years.