Nine Radio (Music)

With a population of 1.4 billion people at least one would have to choose MSR. That would help them to get rid of those annoying asterisks in the survey results.

Maybe.

2 Likes

Macquarie no doubt will be urging GfK to distribute a few survey books on the sub continent

3 Likes

According to the MSR Facebook page Mark Levy and Mark Riddel are back tomorrow with some big news.

It’d be interesting to hear what it is…

Also what is interesting is the fact this was posted on the general MSR Facebook page.

Does it mean the boys will be networked across all MSR stations including into Melbourne? Makes sense - why would a struggling station with an asterisk have a designated Melbourne breakfast show? Just network it all 24/7 as a last ditch effort.

Levy/Riddell now on air 5.30-10.00 daily.
The Run Home also on air 3.00-7.00 daily.
I’m not sure what’s happening 10.00am-3.00pm.

I notice Rohan Connolly (former sports journalist at The Age) has his own show on MSR called The RoCo Show. He also hosts the innings break during MSR’s coverage of BBL matches.

Yeah, RoCo has been on pretty much every day of the BBL unless there’s been something else on (live sport or days like double headers he’s only on once). He’s been into Melb only though.

Looks like the two shows have been combined, Levy, Riddell and Bartel nationally, based off the website. Morrow daytime possibly? They’re saying 10-1 for him which doesn’t fit.

Well, I know I’ll be placing a bet on whether it rates more than an asterisk next survey.
Shame the big news also wasn’t that there’s a format change coming in time for the first anniversary. Still time though for that dice roll.

Actually that’s not true. Jimmy Bartel is only doing 9-10am with them according to the website.

Also just announced that Macquarie Sports Melbourne will be taking the Continuous Call this year.

2 Likes

Well, given the website is a bit of a dog’s breakfast, with all sorts of misleading information (Morrow 10-1, Halftime 12-2 as just one example), I’m surprised anyone is able to get any information out of it.

Melbourne gaining CCT, might at least be some hope for more than asterisk, but only might.

I’ve been listening a lot to BBC Radio 2 online over the last couple of weeks - for Brexit updates :). I still think this format is an option, especially for Sydney and if they really must keep the 3 stations networked. It’s music focused but gets quite eclectic. The presenters are engaging and there is lots of news and brief discussions on topical subjects - which they manage to keep non-confrontational somehow! Even Brexit! When I was in the UK in December they had a panel chat in the afternoon including both sides of the debate and even had some Irish political figures. The Irish were actually late because they couldn’t find the BBC :). I couldn’t believe how well it was handled by the presenters. The best part is even when they have these discussions they’re still playing plenty of music throughout. Love it.

4 Likes

I think you’re referring to the Jeremy Vine show? Mixes current affairs and politics with the music in a very accessible way. The chat isn’t allowed to go on for too long before there’s music to stop things getting too heavy

1 Like

Yes that’s him. Great presenter and really controlled the discussion without ever seeming overbearing - quite a talent.

2 Likes

reading thru the thread.

Lots of people eating humble pie regarding MSR which I prefer of AFLEN oops SEN

What’s the venue of your next comedy gig?

1 Like

Yeah, amazing how you can come here once a week and there are 20 posts most of which say “this needs axing”. zzzzzzz
My other favourite is the Pacific Star Network thread which constantly has the “we need Classic Rock Radio back”. zzzzzz again
It’s like a broken record here sometimes

5 Likes

Lot of people do not realise that 3AK was basket case when SEN took over and the SEN rating for the first year was close to that asterisk. SEN did not have AFL for at least good 5 years and that was in my opinion was it best because you could talk about any sport and have your opinion.
Barry Quick sold the Soul of SEN(or AFLEN as I call it now) when he picked up the AFL rights for SEN and then most of talking about other sport went straight out of the window. I even rang up for a comment only to be told by the producer that they only put thru people with praise for the AFL. The only team that really did talk about other sports was Mark Allen and the Ox.
Now that Craig Hutchinson’s Crocmedia, I can see it even move AFL agian which the yearly junket to the Superbowl which is one of Craig Hutchinson’s sport he love. Selling the Brisbane station or any other to crocmedia would be disasterous to the Radio market(Heck, They just start SEN SA in Adelaide agian). That lasted less than 3 months last time.

I give MSR some respect because they will putting More Rugby Union and League in Melbourne and Perth and more AFL in Sydney and Brisbane

Now I love AFL but I do not want it drum into my ears 24 hours a day, 7 Days a week. I would love to hear about other sports so I listen to MSR. The problem with MSR is that they have not branched out to Tunein or other radio app to allow people outside the area to listen instead loading up the website and streaming from there.

It is not a short team Music station, MSR has to be a long term investment

3 Likes

Read this thread and laugh at comedy here. MSR will be closing in 6 months time and that was 6, 12,18 even before MSR was started.

If you do not find it funny Cranky Media, Here the Yellow pages search for right up you alley

https://www.yellowpages.com.au/search/listings?clue=clown+school&locationClue=All+States&lat=&lon=&selectedViewMode=list

Macquarie Sports Radio is available on these apps, and probably on some others.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thisisaim.radio2ue&hl=en

1 Like

Sorry you are right. However it did take a while to transfer to Talking Lifestyle to MSR

A sports radio station is worthless in Melbourne without AFL coverage. EON Sports never rated here, and neither will MSR, even with the benefit of AM market penetration instead of solely relying upon DAB.

For what it’s worth, RSN and 2KY succeed because the stations can target a niche audience - as do RadioTAB and TABradio in their respective markets. Simulcasting talkSPORT’s EPL coverage, while a potential niche drawcard, does nothing to boost your 5.30am-12 midnight ratings.

Macquarie would be in a much stronger position if they moved both their AFL and NRL coverage from 2UE, 3AW and 4BC over to MSR. Cross-promote it heavily on the News Talk stations, and that gives you a guaranteed Thursday-Sunday audience. Give them shows worth sticking around for and the audience will.

5 Likes