Nine Radio (Music)

…do what Moe suggested a few posts above:

If MSR is a ‘long-term’ project for Macquarie (which I doubt it will be but let’s assume it is for the purposes of this post), I would do that with the goal of moving 3AW’s AFL & 2GB’s NRL coverage completely to MSR when the next radio rights agreement begins (like they did with cricket this Summer)

2 Likes

And since 3AW has the rights to broadcast AFL matches on late afternoon and twilight on Sundays, I will have late afternoon game on 3AW and twilight game in full on MSR.

Why is it that in a so-called ‘sports-mad’ nation, Australia has struggled so badly and ineptly to provide good sports radio?

Radio Sport in Aotearoa (an evolution of the old 'Sports Roundup) on the YC network is a perfect example of Sports radio done well.

EON, MSR are examples of sport done bad. And so arguably are SEN and ABC grandstand.

Amateurish, shambolic and cringe worthy.

1 Like

I disagree. ABC Radio has always done a good job covering sport. They use local radio, digital radio and online streams to cover multiple sports, and have a reliable guide that tells you how to listen to a particular sport. If MSR is serious it will have comprehensive coverage of the AFL and NRL this year.

1 Like

Sports coverage and having a sports radio station are two different things.

While I may tune into certain sporting events…

That’s still completely different to waking up every morning and listening to a Sports radio station.

change the format to an all-Indian station, there is a large population of Indians and expats in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. It’s an untapped market currently only served by SBS PopDesi on DAB+ and small off-band stations, this format is perfect for advertisers targetting this market. I’m sure it would rate much higher than what MSR does currently.

2 Likes

I think a station targeting Eskimos would rate better than MSR

6 Likes

Well I wanted to listen to the first one dayer in Indian, they boasted (during the aussie cricker season)they had the rights, but the footy was on the first innings, wonder why they dont use NTS?

I assume you are in Sydney?
Cricket was on in Melb and Bris, the AFL game deemed more important. I’m assuming it was available online like their EPL coverage currently is.

Yeah i am in Sydney. I used radio app to tune in.

There is certainly a market for an Asian station… though it probably needs to be more than just another Asian music station. A ‘full service’ Asian station with variety content might work better… (though potentially much more costly). Something with a broad demo breakfast show, Asian-themed talkback, Asian music and cricket could work well for Asians and the wider community more broadly.

1 Like

Come on 9, show some sense and dump this waste of format well before the next cricket season. Disastrous.

2 Likes

More delusion from Adam Lang.

5 Likes

And just think about how much that roster of sporting “stars” must be costing them!

2 Likes

There are more people mentioned in that press release than listen to the station.

8 Likes

I nearly fell off my chair the other day when a relative told me they’d been listening to SEN for all these years but have switched to 1278! There’s that 0.2 ratings increase, right there!

3 Likes

I’ve pretty much switched across (do find I’m listening to the 2 combined less and less though) but I’m not a Melbournian. Much prefer Ox/Marko to KB/Doc. Find myself listening to MSR’s EPL coverage too.

Should have stayed with Lifestyle lol

2 Likes

What a load of c**p the CEO came up with.

2 Likes

Most of them have contracts with 3AW or 2GB anyway so their appearances on MSR are just a bonus tacked on to the contract I reckon.

1 Like