Nine Radio (Talk)

It would be cost cutting at 4BC. Braybrook is not doing much else with his time there. Makes sense.

2 Likes

Yes Braybrook doesn’t have many operations left to direct in Brisbane so he might as well direct himself! The fact that he apparently has time to prep and present a 3 hour live show each day tells you a lot about how busy his ‘day job’ keeps him.

1 Like

Minimal or zero as marketing, seldom with sales.

Sales are not bothering to sell to their direct clients (however unsuitable they may be for radio advertising and therefore receive no results and are lost clients) about Ben Davis for three hours in the afternoon, they’re pushing the Jones/Hadley line and the fact that despite dwindling numbers, the TSL is quite high.

TSL we know is pointless if it’s in small numbers and not of the audience you want to reach.

Doing enough or not enough to arrest the huge staff turnover following the gutting of the stations in early 2015.

Here’s the chronology:

2015: When the GM sent in to scuttle the station, Frangi was made redundant himself (very sweet day for many past/present staff),
Then: Sales manager was made the ‘Operations Manager’.
When the sales manager finally woke up to the fact the sales commission would continue to shrink not expand, she left and that left the then news director, Braybrook to be Operations Manager

Braybrook arrived in the news director position from sports director as Psaltis had long left for 4TAB so sports director was vacant.

The last news director in the David McDonald led era was Scott Mayman, he too saw the writing on the wall, the rout of the once well staff and moderately successful station and left himself.

Correct!

I know of a talk drive announcer who is there often to 7 - 8pm after arriving prior to lunch. Well over 8 hours work and the quality of their show reflects that great effort.

1 Like

2GB in the post Jones/Hadley-era (and 3AW after Ross & John + Neil Mitchell decide to call it a day) will be extremely interesting, that’s for sure.

I reckon MRN need to start looking for younger, media-friendly people with a conservative viewpoint to be the future of 2GB right now. Are the likes of Chris Smith, Ben Fordham & Ross Greenwood really going to keep 2GB as Sydney’s #1 radio station without Alan Jones/Ray Hadley? Probably not.

Michael McLaren is an OK presenter, but I don’t think he has enough profile to lead a breakfast or morning show. even though the overnight ratings for 2GB are probably something ridiculously high (I know they were about five years ago when Brian Wilshire presented 2GB overnights, not sure about current/more recent figures though).

1 Like

That’s basically what Sky News is for - getting the next lot of 2GB hosts better at presenting. I’m sure Paul Murray will be on 2GB once either Jones or Hadley goes.

3 Likes

Jones and particularly Hadley could still be around for a while, maybe Paul Murray and even Jason Morrison and Stuart Bocking could bounce back. Surely Bocking would be waiting for the opportunity of another crack. But I still think John Stanley would be the next to move up the corridor.

4 Likes

MSR is a criminal waste of the talents of a highly professional, respected and long-serving broadcaster like John Stanley. Ditto Tim Webster. Whether John Stanley’s political views are sufficiently right of centre to make him a good fit at 2GB is something I don’t know.

I think Stuart Bocking should definitely be back on air somewhere. He’s able to turn his hand to just about any shift. Whether Macquarie would ever welcome him back after his short-lived spell as Hadley’s executive producer is unclear. Who knows whether his departure was that amicable.

4 Likes

Needs to be a leftie/centre station, nobody in the next 20 - 30 years would listen to a station like 2GB unless it changed direction.

2 Likes

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there. Macquarie seems to assume that the current demographics will continue for ever and that the next generation of over 55s will have the same views and interests as the current generation. Dangerous assumption to make. No longer-term planning at all.

3 Likes

Never met a young Liberal? The future is more partisanship in both directions, the specific topics and battlegrounds will shift - but no one should be naĂŻve enough to think that history is on an unstoppable march towards more progressive politics, or that the current political balance among young people will still exist as those people age.

Indeed, the fact people get that sense, that those on the right think that there is a general political shift towards the left, creates the very audience that 2GB and the like will succeed on.

5 Likes

Back in 2010/2011 Ray Hadley had an AVO application against him dismissed, with the magistrate determining that Hadley had not contacted the applicant Matt Murdoch, with Murdoch’s claims being baseless.

Murdoch has now lodged another AVO application against Hadley, with the case listed for mention in Gosford Local Court on 26 July.

https://onlineregistry.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/content/court-lists#/detail/20180018812017745974MentionAVOPrivate/Ray%20Hadley

1 Like

They were, however Luke Bona turning MMM into live middawn radio has severely dented it.

Kyle’s a start. Once he’s done with Kiis, it’'ll be talkback time for him. It’s Jackie who’ll have longevity on lighter talk bfast if she wants it.

With a lot of nasal problems.

Not very successful on UE nor were the other names mentioned. Still, much better than the current laughing stock format.

Audience numbers for Sky are dismal, worse now than when they did straight news, but these opinion chat shows, ‘filler hours’ I call them, get them headlines.

It didn’t end in the usual Hadley 2004 Athens fashion but was a ‘agree to disagree’ departure. Bocking did his best to maintain the Hadley style, Hadley wanted more of a Hadley style really to force him out. They both knew it was strained, so Bocking went. It was a Hobsons choice.

In Qld, the young Libs are dominated by gay males currently, so you could take this literally and consider that they’d die out due to being biologically unable to procreate. That’s just the party members and people under 30, the membership changes significantly in all parties once people hit 40 and especially 50. It’s an older thing.

Fear and nostalgia, it’s all they’ve got at GB. In Brisbane, they only have nostalgia. Talk radio in a post Brenno world is lacking vision on the commercial stations north of the Murray.

1 Like

4BC needs a Local Breakfast Show of their own with Ray Hadley and Chris Smith to Continue broadcasting from Sydney, Reckon a Woman would host Breakfast to go ahead against Craig Zonca?

The Fairfax/Nine merger is great news for MRN.

Business as usual will be over for Singo and the Clark Kent lookalike he’s using.

Be good to MRN out of their lease at Cannon Hill and if they choose to hold onto the radio, shift what little is left to a spare corner up the hill at QTQ or perhaps Nine might move to the Barracks with their future acquisition, SCA.

Any change to the decimation of 4BC and 4BH would be a great thing. Same for 2UE.

Perhaps its for the best for Nine to free themselves of these licences that Fairfax has made a mess of.

2 Likes

Mark Braybrook on air says Fairfax have let MRN run its own business.

Who writes these comedy lines?

He also said 4BC and their sister station (wouldn’t name it) are making in roads in Brisbane.

Since when? Both have gone backwards, 4BH dramatically since MRN took over.

Mentioned that 2GB and 3AW are number one in their cities.

Would require all Brisbane commercial stations to roll over and play dead for 4BC to be anywhere close to number one.

7 Likes

Ah, so they blame themselves then.

2 Likes

Does someone want to tell Braybrook that 4BC may not be included in this merger :rofl:

Source: https://radioinfo.com.au/news/fairfax-and-nine-network-merge

5 Likes

I agree with you on the last paragraph at least. That fear the right have of a move towards the left in younger people is definitely contributing to some of the more extreme behaviours of the right, and the success of players like 2GB.

But I don’t think their fear is unfounded, and that’s why the likes of Abbott and Credlin and Hadley are so desperate.

And yes I’ve met young liberals - and that just convinces me more that the right is in even bigger trouble down the line :slight_smile:

1 Like

LOL oh the ignominy of including Macquarie Sports in the graphic but not 4BC. Oh dear…

1 Like

4BC and 4BH making inroads in Brisbane?
OMFG there’s spin and then there’s that LOL

2 Likes