Nine Radio (Talk)

They will be still on at 9am Sunday. From what I heard this morning.

Herald Sun reports that 3AW is looking at a succession plan for their high-rating breakfast radio show. Ross Stevenson and John Burns are out of contract at the end of this year, with Stevenson expected to stay on and Burns to slide gracefully into retirement.

Youā€™d be forgiven for thinking they were casting an FM breakfast show considering some of the names suggested as possible replacements. Iā€™m surprised Macquarie isnā€™t insisting on making the show newsier and installing an Alan Jones type in the chair.

I like the format and listen regularly but it is very ā€œliteā€ for an AM talk station.

Interesting to see current fill in Justin Smithā€™s name not mentioned. Perhaps his ill-fated stint at 2UE is a mark against him?

1 Like

Eh, maybe not Justin Smith. I wonder if Red is up for it again?

I would think theyā€™d not want to rock the boat too much. Light chat has worked very well for AW breakfast for longer than most of us have been alive. :smiley:

2 Likes

You might have just given Macquarie an idea to syndicate Alan into Melbourne :face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

I did? :confused:

I think that was @NewsWeary :flushed:

For all the faults of MRN (and thereā€™s more than a few), surely theyā€™re not stupid enough to simulcast a Sydney-based breakfast radio program into Melbourne?

3 Likes

I never thought theyā€™d move Bruce/Simon and Phil aside for Steve Price but they did. Makes me wonder if Price could be a contender for AW Breakfast.

As I said I like the format; itā€™s better than anything on offer on Sydney radio but it baffles me that the likes of Glen Robbins and Lehmo are being mentioned as replacements. The Robbins segment is my least favourite on the show at the moment.

Is 69, wouldnā€™t be a long term succession plan although Iā€™d tune in.

Any names mentioned it inthe HS article?

Along with those mentioned above - Hamish McLachlan, Sam Pang, Rob Sitch and Kate Stevenson.

4 Likes

Rob Sitch would be a good choice if they wanted to keep it light but still have someone capable of discussing meatier subjects should the need arise. I canā€™t see Sam Pang, Robbins or Lehmo being taken seriously if a major news event occurred overnight and it was the topic of discussion on the show for most of the morning.

3 Likes

Who is the current B-team when Ross and John are not on? Are they deemed to be contenders?

Justin Smith and Kate Stevenson. They filled in this week and were on over Christmas/New Year. I find them to be OK but the comments attached to that Herald Sun article arenā€™t positive about either of them.

Canā€™t see Sam Pang leaving Nova, certainly not for 3AW

2 Likes

Donā€™t listen a lot but doesnā€™t Smith have a terrible nasally voice for radio?

1 Like

They could do with a female. 3AW is very much a boys club during the week.

Brigitte Duclos would be good. I think sheā€™s on Macquarie Sport Radio at the moment?

Jane Holmes might not care for breakfast radio again but she could easily slot in

1 Like

Doesnā€™t Sam Pang have history with AW?

He did contribute to Tom Elliotā€™s weekend show going back a while.