Nine Radio (Talk)

2GB had the commercial radio cricket rights in the early 1980s, then they went to 2UE in 1986 and stayed there until 2UE lost interest in 1994. Did the ABC complain to the ACB back in the 1980s and 1990s then?

3 Likes

Seems that 3AW has taken a different approach to its BBL coverage. It is sending its own commentators like Tony Leonard and Dean Jones interstate to cover away matches of the Melbourne Stars and Renegades, instead of relying on commentary from sister stations (2GB etc).

Sounds like a figment of an over active imagination and obsession with MML.

If anything, ABC have lifted their game with a bit of competition. There was a recent complaint about the sportsears at ground rebroadcast excluding ABC but that’s been resolved.

2 Likes

Do you know how the issue has been resolved? I’ve heard a bit about it but didn’t know it’s been fixed

Off the top of my head, ABC and BBC TMS have been added and BT and MMM removed for melb and syd.

1 Like

Mark Petkovic with Andrew Mclaren on Nightline with Simon Owens tonight :blush::blush::blush::blush:

1 Like

Noted most of the cricket coverage is coming from the MRN studio. Do they do this for ARL coverage?

Simon Owens will be on holidays starting from Sunday Night.

1 Like

I’ve really enjoyed listening to Heidi Murphy on 3AW Mornings this week. Much better than regular fill ins Tony Jones and the shouty bloke they had on last week.

4 Likes

Heidi has been fantastic this week.

1 Like

Yep heard a bit of Murphy last week via 3NE, much better than Tony Jones.

Rita Panihi is joining 3AW to replace John-Michael Howson on Sunday mornings.

https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/herald-suns-rita-panahi-co-host-3aws-sunday-morning

1 Like

@Frankie One right wing ratbag replaced by another. Who listens to this trash?

1 Like

No idea, but it rates.

1 Like

To be frank, Panihi will be vastly better than Michael Howson

1 Like

Wouldn’t be hard!

I don’t know where TuneIn get their program data from but according to them this evening Overnight with Brian Wilshire is on!?!?

Pretty sure it’s usually scraped from websites.

1 Like

3AW’s Neil Mitchell has ‘outed’ Breakfast presenter John Burns for twice getting caught drink driving but failing to tell management.

Full statement can be seen here.

I have one of these SoundDec devices - don’t get them confused for the SportsEars, as they operate only for NRL, AFL and Super Rugby, and they have two well known frequencies that you can get on a cheaper Chinese-made radio, like the Degan DE-215.

There’s 4 (maybe 3, not sure) specified frequencies one goes through - when I went to the cricket (didn’t go this year, didn’t have the money or ability to get a ticket quick enough), you’d keep pressing the buttons until you’d find the commentary you want. IIRC, Nine’s commentary was one, ABC was another, Fairfax/Macquarie was the other. You could also get FM radio as well.

If there is 4 spaces, then it would have been easy to put ABC, BBC TMS, MRN and Nine or BT Sport on each one, and tell customers wanting Triple M’s take on cricket commentary (think The 12th Man’s Final Dig where the Nine honchos wanted Darrell Eastlake to take over from Richie in the CCP. That’s what it sounds like to me) to tune to 104.9. Nine or BT Sport may have to lose out.

Really, in future, you’d have ABC, Nine, away broadcaster 1 and 2 as the presets, and Triple M on FM.

Just had a thought…were they referring to the yellow earpieces the Commonwealth Bank were giving away? They’re designed to only get the on ground frequencies. They don’t get any other frequencies including FM away from the ground.