Nine Radio (Talk)

Macquarie yesterday tweeted coverage details for next week’s first Ashes cricket test from The Gabba.
Coverage will be on 4BC in Brisbane, 5AA in Adelaide and NTS Digital in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth.
Commentators: Tim Lane, Bruce Eva, Ian Chappell, Damien Fleming, John Emburey, Glenn McGrath and Mike Hussey. Lawrie Colliver is the stats man.
Macquarie’s commentary team looks thin compared with Triple M’s star-studded line up especially after Henry Blofeld’s retirement two months ago.

Triple M always have a fantastic call team, just look at their NRL coverage here in Brisbane, ex footy players etc

It will go across all these cities at once due to each city been syndicated off the same SAT Feed

1 Like

Alan "Gloria"Jones and Mark “Boofhead” Latham have gotten together to compile a cookbook. Jones has impeccable taste in food and will share some gorgeous recipes - it will be preferable than the torture of listening to his radio program. What will Latham bring to the book, pie & chips and pizza washed down with a VB? Macquarie should encourage their other stars to write books … Hadley’s Guide to the Galston Gorge would be a big seller.

2 Likes

They should have called the book “At Home With Stephanie”.

Do you reckon it will have a few halal recipes?

2 Likes

No left wing required when cooking chicken.

2 Likes

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/neil-mitchell-lashes-3aw-colleague-johnmichael-howson-for-stupid-comments/news-story/126cbebf0206b52b7da8c8a3d74d8d95

The guy needs to calm down and retire.

1 Like

Grandad’s off his meds again. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I thought he died years ago

1 Like

I think John-Michael took the placebo pill again…

1 Like

Encountered him a few years back, nasty old queen would be polite.

1 Like

That’s a bit demeaning to queens surely.

Only the nasty ones, met plenty of non nasty queens in my time.

2 Likes

Seems odd that 5AA is taking just the Brisbane test. According to the 3AW website (https://www.3aw.com.au/the-ashes-macquarie-cricket-is-back/) that’s their sole test. Also I note that no analog stations are taking the day-night Adelaide test.
Also for the Melbourne and Sydney tests it’s not clear whether it’s Talking Lifestyle in just Sydney or Brisbane as well. It would be odd to have it on 4BC for one test and then Talking Lifestyle for the others.

FIRST TEST – BRISBANE
AM Radio: 4BC, 5AA
DAB+ Digital Radio: NTS

SECOND TEST – ADELAIDE (day/night)

THIRD TEST – PERTH
AM Radio: 6PR

FOURTH TEST – MELBOURNE
AM Radio: 3AW, Talking Lifestyle

FIFTH TEST – SYDNEY
AM Radio: 3AW, Talking Lifestyle

I am sure FiveAA will broadcast the day/night test at home.

There are many things I do not understand in commercial radio including:

• How 2UE was destroyed into being little more than a third rate shopping channel over the last 2 years.
  • Why Alan Jones rates so highly when he goes over the same stories and opinions day after day after year after year decade after decade
  • Why Sydney does not have a full time FM rock station
  • Ben Fordham
  • Why WSFM has a playlist of only 24 songs
  • Why 2DayFM is persisting with trying to compete with Nova and KIIS. Do a vega and go for a new market. Relaunch! 2014 , 2015, 2016 and 2017 should be enough of a lesson. Enough.
  • Why every announcer on smooth sounds like they work on a phone sex line. Byron Webb sounds like he is two minutes away from climaxing for four hours every afternoon.

However, I utterly and completely cannot understand how anyone could consider a radio broadcast of the cricket entertaining. It is the closest thing to torture that exists on Australian territory. I know people listen to it. I would rather spend my summer trying to get the last Pringle from the packet (without being able to turn the tube upside down).

7 Likes

Sacrificed to keep 2GB on top.

Listeners in his demographic don’t remember that they’ve heard it all before. :wink:

That’s a common problem. Nova only has 25. Just from a different era. :laughing:

Unexplainable.

Sex sells. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Maybe you’ve had too many Pringles and your hands are too fat to fit in the tube. :rofl:

5 Likes

It could’ve been worse. If you live in a regional market where SCA is the only real commercial option (ie. not including the Caralis AM stations in Orange, Port Macquarie & Coffs Harbour), then you’re stuck with just the Hit station that plays Top 40 music whilst Triple M plays the cricket.

4 Likes

DX’ing would be your friend there.

I have to disagree that 2UE was sacrificed to keep 2GB on top, although I think that was the plan. In the last survey of 2014 (when 2UE still had its own news service) the ratings of the two stations were:
2GB: 12.1
2UE: 5.6
Total: 17.7% of the Sydney market

In the last Sydney survey the two stations had:
2GB: 11.8%
2UE: 3.3%
Total: 15.1% of the Sydney audience.

Whilst I am sure 2UE is now cheaper to run, the gutting of the station has certainly not benefited 2GB’s overall ratings. With 2UE rating a 1.3 in Drive and 1.4 in Afternoons there is not doubt the audience went somewhere but it was not to 873.

I have no doubt that 2GB management thought a diminished 2UE could only make 2GB stronger. Yet they did not contemplate that 2UE’s listeners were not going to move left to 2GB. They also appear to have not moved to 702. Or Radio National.

In 2014 both WS and smooth were rating in the 7’s - now they both rate in the 9’s. Maybe the 2UE crowd switched to FM.

One thing is for sure - seeing a radio tuned to 954 is as rare as seeing a radio on the 1107 or 1269 frequency.