Nine Radio (Talk)

No worries, you can pick-up a lot when you listen closely to radio :smile:

Yessssss :grin: Finally!

What a veteran & what a news voice, between 5:30am & Midday on 3AW.

Congrats Armo

images-47

I still want afternoon news reader Tony Tardio to get one, purely for that Italian voice :ok_hand:

5 Likes

He looks nothing like I expected. Have missed his voice in the mornings during his recent absence from 3AW. Thought it odd regular replacement Denis O’Kane wasn’t filling in for him.

You have to wonder how much longer Steve Blanda’s best AM newsreader winning streak could’ve lasted had he not been shafted after “the merge”. He could’ve brought some much needed authority to the Macquarie Sydney newsroom. With the recent revelation that the news director practices reverse sexism by only allowing females to present news during key shifts, is it any wonder his services weren’t required?

5 Likes

Same! Though I saw this photo a few years ago.

I’d always associated the voice to a clean-shaven, older, guy in a suit :smile:

He had a kid a few years ago, it was shown on the TV news.

I’d put him around 45-50? Tony Tardio around 55-60? Could be completely wrong though.

As a side note, you mentioned him being on holidays, Dennis O’Kane is quite old (been at AW as long as I can remember) and still does so much reporting, sometimes in the hussle and bustle, courts, etc. Perhaps lightening his work load?

Current fill-in Alicia Byrne (also middle aged) I didn’t realise used to work at GOLD, as Dee Dee mentioned it?

He would be older than that. He was working at the 3AK newsroom when I did work experience there in 1987. Can’t remember but I think he was afternoon newsreader there then.

He then had a less serious stint as part of Danger Low Brow which was a 3RRR show that later became the breakfast show for Fox FM (and which also featured Brett McLeod)

1 Like

It’s a shame that MRN didn’t hold onto Steve Blanda, but Smooth 95.3 is better for having him (along with fellow longtime Sydney radio newsreaders Glenn Daniel & Ron Wilson) as one of their current newsreaders.

Who is the current breakfast newsreader for Macquarie National News Sydney anyway? I know that Natalie Peters used to do it, but I think she’s focused on hosting the Sunday night program with Michael Pachi on 2GB these days.

1 Like

I think you’re referring to Armo (and not Tony or Dennis), very interesting insight :+1:

Yes David Armstrong

1 Like

I don’t suppose you know when Armo, Tony & Gary McQuade (weekend evenings/overnights) started in their current roles?

I know at least well before 2008?

Also when the station transitioned to new logo/theme/intros

No I’m not a regular or long term 3AW listener

2 Likes

I only became one around that time, hence why I asked.

Before that I was more ABC local radio and certainly FM (1019 the Fox particularly).

Thanks anyway.

I remember Denis O’Kane reading news on Sydney radio in the 1980-90s. He was on Wendy Harmer’s 2Day FM breakfast show for a time.

I remember hearing Tony Tardio on 3AW, memorable for his distinctive name, when I spent some time in Melbourne in 1998.

Gary McQuade was let go from 3AK in 2003 so would’ve started on AW some time after that.

3 Likes

I think he was news director and reader at Gold 104 when their newsroom was a decent operation.You’re other mate Tardio was reading news on 3MP in the late 80s and 90s with Kitty Chiller on sport and the exclusive, 3MP Radar Weather.

Was working for the CFA at one stage, early 2000s I think.

2 Likes

Armo and Tony were most definitely on in the early 2000’s

1 Like

Tony’s LinkedIn profile provides some answers:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/tony-tardio-799a3b2a/

1 Like

Thanks for the responses.

It’s quite an achievement for a major radio station to still have prominent news readers still in their current roles after ~20 years.

Grubby is away sick today with John Origliasso filling in on the Weekend Break.

1 Like

Why couldnt Grubby’s brother Richard fill in for him instead?

1 Like

3AW morning traffic reporter Chris Miller is finishing up with ATN today.

Jimmy Wirtanen tweeted this morning:

Chris told ABC radio listeners (where he’s been afternoon traffic reporter since 2014, joining ATN around 2013) that he’s accepted a job with VicRoads, he joked literally two desks across from where he currently sits (in the Traffic Managenent Centre, as he feeds info to all the other reporters in the arvo - Jimmy in the morning).

Which tells me a systemic problem at ATN with pay? Lots departed nationally the past few years. There was some nasty stuff going on at one stage with a Sydney reporter years ago and ATN’s management has changed in recent times.

When driving, he provided excellent reports, so a big loss (a hole with a number of radio stations, including News Radio now too).

4 Likes

I know that ATN had a number of full-time, part-time and casual positions advertised a month or so ago - not sure what to read into that

1 Like