Nine Radio (Talk)

No, companies are paying for the TL rubbish for the time being.

1 Like

Maybe they need to a different approach have 2ue and 2gb back to similar formats is OK. Today in TV land for example, GO would compete with the main 9. It does not matter. Both can run news talk and sport. Different personalities just would have different appeal.

I initially thought they would bring back music to the stations but now I think as long as there are advertisers happy to shell out money to Talking Lifestyle’s minuscule audience I think TL will stay even if it runs at a loss.

They could go back to music but I think that audience has already bolted to FM and they’re not going to come back in a hurry.

1 Like

IMO, the chances of Talking Lifestyle reverting back to a music format are approximately 0%.

If Talking Lifestyle continues to rate appallingly (and it probably will), I think MRN would be more likely to change the format of 954/1278/882 to a more female-targeted talk format which is less heavy on news & sport for a point of difference from 2GB/3AW/4BC.

2 Likes

An overheight truck got stuck in the M5 East this afternoon, so expect Ray Hadley to talk about that for most of his program tomorrow.

6 Likes

Macquarie Media has posted a profit rise of 21% thanks to the Turnbull government’s one-off radio licence fee waiver, resulting in a $3.5 million fee cut. Total revenue and other income of $131.114 million for FY17, a 2% decline from FY16. Profit after tax rose from $14.274 million to $17.323 million. EBITDA (earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation) was up 17% year on year, at $29.450m million. The company said its earnings were double the combined earnings of Macquarie Radio Network and Fairfax Radio Network before the 2015 merger.

I wonder when they will change all the logos to look like 2GB. I assume they (2GB) call the shots. It would be cheaper for them to use 2UEs old logo. But I think they may not want to have any trace if 2UE influence left in Sydney. I wonder if this related to all those years of fierce competition between the two stations. I remember Ray Hadley being interviewed Stuart Bocking show when it was 2UE, the 90th anniversary, some old conflicts resurfaced. Maybe I reading too much into it and 2GB may change their logo to conform.

I would’ve thought at some point in the future, MRN would go with a completely new/different style of standardised logo for the main “News Talk” network.

Both the 2GB and the 3AW/4BC/6PR style of logos aren’t overly distinctive IMO, although I suppose logo design isn’t the biggest priority for a company that is more about sound than sight.

Perhaps 3AW should go back to this if 2GB are going to keep their “legacy” logo.

4 Likes

Yeah, I could see a modern revival of that logo (or a current 2GB-style logo for 3AW) working quite well!

2 Likes

Not being from WA I’m not sure how much heritage this 6PR logo has:

This one from the 1990s:

6PR_1995

Ben Fordham following the station’s right wing agenda once again. He’s better than this.

http://www.2gb.com/podcast/exclusive-pauline-hanson-speaks-about-burqa-stunt/

Ben used to be better than this. Now he is just an Alan Jones lacky.

Pauline spews hate and Ben just listens. No interrupting. No questioning.

Better not fight with Pauline. She one of Alan’s friends.

I reckon when Alan walks the halls of 2GB all the other announcers (with the exception of Ray) just wet themselves.

2 Likes

I had to listen to Alan Jones this morning to hear his views on George Brandis’ impromptu speech in parliament. Alan was spewing hatred towards Brandis and referred to Hanson as a hero. His best line was “Thank God Brandis was not in parliament when the Japs were at the door in 1942 - he would have let them in”

Open line caller Nigel commented “G’day Al - we need to rename Brandis as Braindead Brandis”. Alan agreed.

As Alway Alan’s show provided a laugh when one caller said “Alan in Turkey it is full of muslims and they have banned the burqa - now only prostitutes can wear the burqa in Turkey” Alan did not disagree with this statement.

And therein lies the attraction to the Alan Jones Show - pure hatred combined with 100% stupidity.

4 Likes

Just heard Mark O’Brien filing a report for 3AW’s 1pm news today. Mark was a senior reporter for Seven News Melbourne before joining Ten News.

1 Like

I think a complaint to ACMA might be appropriate as that statement she made is blatantly false, and you indicate Alan didn’t correct her. Alan never lets the facts get in the way of theatre.

1 Like

Went to work for the public service for a while after Ten.

Great to see veteran 3AW morning News Presenter David Armstrong (with an unmistakable voice) nominated for an ACRA.

Shame his long-time counterpart Tony Tardio (afternoons) isn’t among them.

2 Likes

Stephen Quartermain filling in for Ross Stevenson on A Movable Feast this morning. Rare to hear him hosting a non-sports radio show.

2 Likes