Nine Radio (Talk)

Broadcasting the 5pm news live.

1 Like

Thanks. Love it.

Pachi

https://twitter.com/michaelpachi

As was Brian Wiltshireā€™s show for a few decades before Price. In Wiltshireā€™s usual disarming way, heā€™d discuss another of the conspiracy theories.

Diane ā€˜Dee Deeā€™ Dunleavy joined Tim Webster for The Morning Mix on Friday on Talking Lifestyle. Seems she will be the regular co-host. They might make a good pairing doing a proper talk show, but being forced to talk about mindless non-current affairs makes a very bland hour of radio.

1 Like

My feeling exactly. We have already seen the Travel segment cut back and in my opinion there is too much gardening and around the house and all these money and finance segments, one moment it is Peter Switzer and then David Koch and other contributors as well. It was far better when Stuart Bocking had My Business Day at 1130 each morning. I suppose we are going to have to put up with these ongoing changesā€¦

1 Like

I think the main point missing is, lifestyle is about the personalities on the stations. Travel can be boring or can be very interesting it depends on the delivery. When Clive Robertson talk about ā€œlifestyleā€ it was often interesting. Even the late Stan spoke a lot about what is classified as a lifestyle. The people need a licence to to be creative and have their signature on whatever topic they wish to discuss.

Its like having a good teacher. Any topic can be boring but if you have a good teacher it can make maths seem very interesting. 2GB has a lot of lifestyle too :).

2 Likes

True, personality radio would work well in that regard, they need to make it more about conversation and less pushing product so hard.

Tony Moclair seems to have been dropped in Sydney and replaced with David Prior. Does anyone know if he was heard in Melbourne overnight?

Yes, Moclair continues in Melb and regional stations, remains on syndication website.

M

With a bit of luck we will be spared Alan Pearsall in Sydney alsoā€¦hooray!!!

Dale Sinden will be doing Weekend overnights on the Talking Lifestyle stations, Pete Graham for who Dale has been producer for mentioned it on Saturday night.

It seems that Talking Lifestyle will be expanded in to Perth also at some time;

The phone app has been updated today, where you could previously change between stations in the app (i.e. you could switch to 2GB, 3AW etc) has been changed so that now you can only switch your location so that you would hear local ads and news the list includes of course Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane, but also list Perth. When listening to the Perth stream currently it is just that of Sydney.

Also, the Talking Lifestyle website, as of today at the top right corner there is a drop down ā€œLive fromā€ where you can choose which stream you want. Unlike the app, it lists only Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane, however if you look at the page source (the HTML stuff which makes the page) Perth is also there just commented out so that it does not show on the page.

2 Likes

So there are now three overnight talk shows out of Macquarie - 2GB, 3AW, and TalkingLifestyle? They had reduced overnights but itā€™s just been expanded.

I would have expected 3AW to take the 2GB overnight feed but at least Macquarie has recognised that in particular the late night and overnight 3AW audience is very, very different to that of Sydney, possibly early evenings also.

1 Like

At the moment 3aw networks weekend Australia Overnights to Talking Lifestyle

We still dont know what will happen there

Four if you include 6PRā€™s show.

I listened to about fifteen minutes of Devine Bolt whilst driving back from the supermarket. The talk was all about Muslims, the ABC and lefties. Devine said that when she worked at Fairfax she felt obligated to go on Q&A, Bolt also put the boot into Q&A. It must make for very boring listening if they talk about the same subjects each night.

Favourite 2GB Talking Points:

• Muslims do not fit in, do not shake hands, eat different food, have weapons of mass destruction in their living rooms and are a threat to our way of life
  • Tony Abbott was the greatest PM in history
  • Malcolm Turnbull is a fool and a threat to our way of life
  • Cruelty to greyhounds is good
  • Penalty rates are a threat to our way of life
  • Amalgamated councils are a threat to our way of life
  • Clubs and Pokie machines are good and restrictions on pokies are a threat to our way of life
  • Pauline Hanson understands Australia
  • The Greens should be used as live bait in greyhound racing as they are a threat to our way of life
  • The budget deficit is a threat to our way of life
  • Safe Schools are a threat to our way of life
  • Climate change is a fraud and burning coal is good

Forget 2UEā€™s ā€œWhere You Donā€™t Miss A Thingā€. Listen to 2GB ā€œWhere You Donā€™t Know a Thingā€

7 Likes

And donā€™t even get them started on the subject of Bill Shorten and Labor!!

1 Like

I also forgot the subject matter that Ray Hadley is talking about as I type this morning. Thatā€™s 18 Ā© od the Racial Discrimination Act.

Rayā€™s guest just reminded listeners that 18 Ā© has the potential to damage family life across Australia. Itā€™s a 15 minute interview on 18 Ā©

Forget reducing penalty rates. Forget rising health care costs.Forget dementia and cancer rates. Itā€™s all down to 18 Ā© and 2GB is here to get us all outraged that you canā€™t stir up racial hatred on this continent.

Yet they lap it up - the unemployed, the disability support pensioners, aged pensioners, truck driversā€¦they lap it up and live happily ever after in fear.

5 Likes

What gets me the most is the frequent presentation of opinion as fact. Thereā€™s nothing wrong as such with presenters being opinionated - thatā€™s what gets a debate going. However, too often thereā€™s a lack of clarity about where the facts end and opinions begin. So people for whom 2GB is a primary news source start to take the opinions as fact.

Whatever your political views, a Labor government led by Bill Shorten would not be the end of Western civilisation as we know it - yet some 2GB presenters simply state as a fact that it would be.

I heard an incredible interview on 2GB a few weeks back with the author of a book which basically rubbished the existence of climate change. I canā€™t claim to be the worldā€™s greatest expert on climate change but even I could tell that some of what he was saying was at best highly questionable. Yet there was no challenge whatsoever to some of the frankly ludicrous claims he was making. It was all simply presented as fact and he was basically given uninterrupted air time to push his very partisan views. Iā€™m sure the author of a book which suggested climate change was a serious threat to our future would not have had such an easy ride!

3 Likes

Facts are the news at TOH, opinion and entertainment is the program around the ads in the other 55mins.

They donā€™t bother about editorial standards, no requirement for them apart from the broad codes.

1 Like