Nine Radio (Talk)

She’s at it again tonight. It was interesting the first time, but now it is just plain annoying. I don’t see how management can allow this to go on. People tune in for the hour to hear Andrew Bolt, not Miranda Devine, and they risk alienating a large part of the audience if they don’t bring in a more amendable host.

1 Like

It’s the clash of the egos again! At least Steve Price does seem to realise that listeners are at least as interested in hearing Andrew Bolt as they are in hearing him, so (leaving aside my own thoughts on the views Bolt expresses) it works reasonably well. I had put Monday night down to Miranda Devine perhaps trying too hard on her first night but it seems she has not learned from that. Management will be torn on how best to respond I guess but I doubt Andrew Bolt will allow it to continue like this for the next few weeks

Yes I agree… she was better on Tuesday… but by Thursday had slipped into her ‘fellow commentator’ mode again.

Indeed… that’s what the editorial is for… and sometimes the editorial can be long and tedious (whether it be from Steve Price or Michael McLaren or whoever else… but that is when the host gets to express his or her opinion).

1 Like

From Radio Today:

Alan Jones is expected to make an announcement regarding his breakfast radio future at 2GB on Monday morning’s show.

The Daily Telegraph has reported that Ray Hadley will replace Jones’ fill-in Chris Smith, stepping into the coveted breakfast slot “temporarily” from tomorrow, as Jones recovers from his third surgery - this time on his neck.

Read more: http://www.radiotoday.com.au/news/whats-new/10395-hadley-to-cover-2gb-breakfast-for-jones.html

Some people don’t know when to retire.

1 Like

So True, 2GB now in panic mode.

1 Like

Reading between the lines, sounds like advertisers might have been saying they weren’t too impressed with Chris Smith on breakfast for an extended period

1 Like

The worst kept secret in radio is now official - Talking Lifestyle will be heard in Melbourne and Brisbane late this month:

1 Like

I expect a lot of Magic listeners will switch to Smooth or MyMP when Talking Lifestyle starts in Melbourne.

Is MyMP or 3MP still going? I thought it was Classic Rock now?

My dad has finally ditched Magic but I think he’s gone to Gold 104

3MP is gone, so it’ll be Smooth or Gold now.

It will be about as popular as SEN when it broadcast in Adelaide. Won’t rate, won’t last.

would we see Classic Rock hurriedly changed back to a Magic-type format in response? It wouldn’t be the first time 1377 has made a rapid format change in response to a rival dumping a program format… it picked up “Easy Listening” at a moment’s notice in 1986 after 3AK suddenly dropped “Beautiful Music”

Unlikely. The sales strategy of linking classic rock format to the same demographic as SEN and therefore being able to sell both stations together is far more attractive to Pacific Star management.

1 Like

The big winners of the Talking Lifestyle expansion will probably be Gold 104.3 & Smooth 91.5 (maybe also 1377 if 3MP is revived yet again) in Melbourne and 4KQ in Brisbane.

Only 3.5% of Sydney radio listeners tuned into 954AM during the final survey of 2016 which was the first full one for Talking Lifestyle in this market and I can’t really see it doing much better this year. Neither can I really see the format being a hit in Melbourne or Brisbane.

Personally, I’m willing to predict that “Talking Lifestyle” will probably only last a year at best before MRN switches the stations to a music format and/or sells 954 Sydney, 1278 Melbourne and 882 Brisbane off to focus on 2GB/3AW/4BC/6PR.

1 Like

MRN should keep Magic as a DAB only station at least. Maybe replace NTS with Magic. I think more ppl would perfer Magic over NTS

1 Like

The bean counters prefer NTS as no music = no payment for songs played… Wont happen im sorry to say

1 Like

I forget that 3MP is gone, but Magic’s loss is other stations’ gain.

There is also SCA’s Easy Radio. Also I wondering when will MRN will start letting people on air on Magic about this big major change

Easy on DAB+ also an Alternative.