Nine Radio (Talk)

The daily travel show on 2UE Talking Lifestyle has been bumped to 10:00am. Tim Webster now starts with The Mix at 9:00am which is an hour of various topics.

I think he was voiceover for mix 106.5 fm in the 90s :slight_smile:

1 Like

NatureBee are still advertising on 2GB and 2UE, but this isn’t a good look.

[quote]The Commerce Commission has charged a bee health product marketing company and its director for falsely representing a product.

Topline International and director Jeffrey Bernard Cook face 22 charges each for saying its NatureBee Potentiated Bee Pollen supplement was sourced and made in New Zealand when the bee pollen actually came from China.

1 Like

The Mix isn’t the only new show. There are a few other minor changes to Talking Lifestyle. In general it looks like they’re introducing more broader lifestyle programming, hopefully a gradual shift from the dedicated hourly programs (which is very community radio sounding).

Also interesting to hear next to no mentions of 2UE during breakfast and other shifts. The transition is almost complete, just in time for networking to Melbourne and Brisbane.

2 Likes

I heard Sharina, perhaps inadvertently, give the game away by saying that she would be heard in Melbourne from 27th February. The 27th is actually a Monday, so I guess that’s the day the changeover happens, and she’ll then be heard in Melbourne the following Sunday.

This would tie in with the pre-Christmas stories that Magic staff had been given redundancy notices effective from end of February

1 Like

As 2UE tanks in the Sydney ratings. As 2UE is finally guttered. As 2UE loses listeners - even for its good quality breakfast show. As 2UE sounds more like a community station. As 2UE becomes largely irrelevant in the Sydney market. As 2UE talks lifestyle - even thought we are not sure what this actually means.

Macquarie radio decide to broadcast the station nationally.

It’s official. On February 27 2UE becomes 2SM. Broadcasting live from Sydney and across the nation. To no one.

7 Likes

It’s kind of brilliant really. They’ve managed to find a way to make money from the licence, broadcasting a format that won’t hurt their main stations, broadcasting enough unique content to keep the ACMA happy and blocking any competitors from getting control of the licenses.

4 Likes

If it wasn’t so sad, it would be funny.

Farewell 2UE, the first Australian station I ever listened to online from the UK all those years ago, the first station I heard on my first ever visit to Australia/Sydney 20 years ago. Many of the greatest names in Australian radio have graced your airwaves over the years. You didn’t deserve to end like this

3 Likes

On the brighter side it looks like Talking Lifestyle is broadening their shows. The Mix and Daily Drive shows are a bit more tolerable than those specialty shows. They even have comps during Daily Drive and different talk topics! Slowly slowly waking up.

1 Like

In my mind, 2UE actually died on September 17 last year when they relaunched with the “Talking Lifestyle” format and branding.

But yeah, another iconic Sydney radio brand and callsign will probably soon be gone for good. RIP, 2UE. :cry:

1 Like

Rex Hunt is returning to 3AW much earlier than expected. He will co-host a lifestyle show with Darren James at 9am-10am Saturdays starting this week. During the AFL season Rex will host a post-game show on Friday nights.

Where has the info come from? I haven’t seen any official notification anywhere.

http://www.3aw.com.au/news/rex-hunt-to-return-to-3aw-20161117-gss0tb.html

‘Nightline for Footy’

Pfft, Philip Brady is better at Nightline.

He’s well past his prime. Time 3AW developed new talent. But who is there to give direction?

Ross Greenwood’s morning show Work. Life. Money. is now at 8am-9am Sundays from today, creating a two-hour syndicated block with The House of Wellness from 9am to 10am. The good news for 3AW listeners is that Darren James’ Big House is back to four hours straight on Saturdays from 7am.

3AW still do gardening before 7am Sat? Recall their long time gardening woman retired.

Is the food/travel show on Saturday after 11am?

Not a fan of this syndicated rubbish on a Sunday, no local choice when you have that bloody Macca taking up space on every ABC station.

is Macca still going? People were whinging about him 20 years ago…!

Unfortunately so.

Today he was telling his loyal (rusted on) audience that he couldn’t have done the show today if it wasn’t for the four coffees he had. Who honestly cares? Poor radio.

1 Like

2GB here in Sydney has “The Garden Clinic” on during the weekend breakfast timeslot. Especially with Graham Ross’ national TV profile, I wonder if that show airs on any other stations across Australia?