Nine Radio (Talk)

More advertorials from Melbourne and Brisbane during breakfast if viable, MRN will try or at least consider it.

The conventional talk content may be considered unsuitable as it may cannibalise 3AW and 4BC.

Lang indicated in September that weekday and weekend breakfast would have an audience outside Sydney. At the time it was thought 2UE would probably be put on digital radio in Brisbane and Melbourne, but now we know it’s on AM.

[quote]As to content changes at either weekday and weekend breakfast shows, Lang noted the hosts will have an awareness of a growing national audience outside of Sydney. “Some of their audience will be new and some of them won’t be in Sydney.”

[/quote]

I assume from next February George and Paul will be heard on Magic 1278 or whatever it will be called in Melbourne, and not on 3AW? Otherwise the likes of Ross and John and Denis Walter should be worried.

I can’t exactly see them dumping Ross and John with around 20% of the breakfast ratings in favour of a unknown breakfast pair from Sydney.

4 Likes

I’m sure George & Paul would most likely be heard on “Talking Lifestyle 1278” or whatever actually comes out of the current Magic station in Melbourne next year.

I think even MRN realise that it would be totally stupid for them to axe one of the highest rating breakfast programs in the country on 3AW in favour of a pair that even Sydneysiders don’t listen to in particularly commanding numbers…

A few observations:

1. 2GB seem to have dropped the “2GB” from their sport and weather hourly intros. It now simply says “Sport” and “Weather”. Not even saying “Sydney Weather”. I suppose it follows Talking Lifestyle which now says, “A sports update for … …”. Maybe a sign of further networking to come?

2. Talking Lifestyle seems to have next to no mention of 2UE in their Mornings shift. Could this mean Breakfast stays local and networking workdays in 2017? Even when Tim Webster refers to the website he only says “talkinglifesyle.com.au”, whereas John and Garry say “2uetalkinglifestyle.com.au”.

3. What happens if/when Talking Lifestyle’s Sports Today is networked into Melbourne on Magic? Will there be listener confusion with 3AW’s soon to be called Sportsday and Talking Lifestyle’s Sports Today?

Sadly but surely, the name 2UE is gradually being phased out of the Sydney market and Australian radio landscape. Hopefully MRN will take some note of its decline in ratings before thinking of expanding the brand.

… I personally cannot wait for the day that 2UE is sold to another owner and the brand is revived …

7 Likes

3AW’s Ross and John are now on holidays after another successful year on air. They will return on January 9.

There’s a rumour that Stuart Bocking has moved on from his job with the Ray Hadley show.

Well he was certainly with Ray Hadley during the week but Friday being the last Hadley show for the year you could be right. I can’t help but think they will use Bocking over Summer but this being Macquarie anything could happen.

Well…Stuart Bocking has indeed moved on. Will be interesting where he turns up next.

My guess , follow Paul Murray and have a more regular role on sky news.

This is unlikely, but how about this one, 2ch breakfast , music and talk on 2ch for the over 60s :smirk:.

Can’t say I’m surprised that Stuart Bocking has moved on. Despite the positive spin that was put on it at the time, the role seemed at best a sideways move for him. Moving from presenting a show in the same time slot as, and in competition with, Hadley to being Hadley’s producer must have been difficult for Stuart - and in truth not that different from the role he had all those years ago as John Laws’ “co-pilot”

Stuart deserves to be back on air regularly in his own right

So it seems there is no local programming at all on 4BC over summer apart from news bulletins. Michael McLaren is presenting Drive in a simulcast from 2GB whilst Ben Davis is away (and you do have to wonder whether he will return in the new year) Unbelievable! Just confirms that Macquarie really has no interest in Brisbane at all

1 Like

I love summer but…

I hate it when I tune to 702 and they are covering the cricket and Radio National is playing music.

I use to then listen to 2UE but now Talking Lifestyle means I have to listen to sponsored content.

And as for 2GB. I don’t need to hear how there are not enough Christmas tress around Sydney or that someone in David Jones told Stephanie to have a Happy Holiday instead of Merry Christmas.

Could someone go to the 2GB reception in Pyrmont and report on the Christmas decorations at the station? In a world or Trump, terrorism in Berlin, budget deficits and rising house prices it seems that 2GB is once again obsessed with the usual conspiracy of who stole Christmas. I think they took this talking point from Fox News and they are running with it.

Summer in Sydney is too often marred by a lack or news and talk radio of any quality. Unless, of course, you believe that someone has stolen Christmas. Personally I am more concerned with who stole 2UE. And how the cricket stole 702.

3 Likes

Perhaps 2SM ABC Local Radio on Digital?

The Age senior editor Mark Hawthorne is hosting weekday drive on 3AW this week and next week, filling in for Tom Elliott. His stint began yesterday.

1 Like

7.45am this morning on 2GB. Chris Smith is talking to a reporter and she mentions mental illness. Chris then comments that “sometimes mental illness is little more than attention seeking”.

Is this the same Chris Smith who groped four female colleagues at the 2009 2GB Christmas party? Is this the same Chris Smith who then claimed that he was on the wrong medication for his “alcoholic bipolar” disorder? Is this the same Chris Smith who then got his job back?

Or is this the Chris Smith who groped females at the 2GB Christmas Party as he was just seeking attention?

Gotta love right wing radio hosts and their glass houses.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/groping-2gb-host-chris-smith-loses-job-family/news-story/9bf43da383633c776ccdab7fa3e11061

1 Like

2UE had Milton Black predicting the future. That would be more entertaining than Smith.

And which client sponsored that riveting segment haha

Confidential is reporting that Hadley has had difficulty finding a new producer. He approached Jones’ producer Luke Davis, who he also asked last year, but was knocked back. It seems the Bocking replacement is now former Hadley staffer John Redman who has recently been at Sky News.