Nine Radio (Talk)

The boys worked with a Tech on Saturday and Sunday but when Clinton Maynard took over at midday all seemed fine. Watching via the webcam I find it amazing how many staff are seen wandering around.

2 Likes

I share your amazement at how many staff seem to be wandering around, not only in the on air studio but in the adjacent rooms which you can see through the studio window. I’m sure they’re all very busy and I must just catch some of them on their breaks when I look at the webcam - but I have to say some of them don’t seem to be doing anything other than just standing around. Excluding presenter and contributor, there were 6 standing around in the on air studio when I looked the other day, plus others the ‘other side of the glass’

So I wonder if talking lifestyle in Melbourne & Brisbane take the cricket? Instead of 3aw & 4bc. Will they have any local shows at all?

Would leave 3MP in an interesting position if they did flip Magic over to the lifestyle talk format - do they stick with Classic Rock, or try and gain the old Magic audience (well what’s left of it that didn’t die/switch to Smooth/Easy).

Seems Pacific Star’s strategy is to go after males (at least the radio side of the business - the publishing side seems to be geared female).

Wonder how many Triple M listeners have/will jump to Classic Rock with such little promotion: same story with Magic listeners to 3MP previously

It’s all about sales. By having 2 stations that target the same audience, it’s easier to sell both stations to advertisers in a package deal. Even with lower ratings (despite 3MP not even being rated) they could potentially sell more advertising dollars for less effort.

I might be stating the obvious, I don’t know, but like much of the media in general, are Macquarie Radio under financial/budget pressure?

RE: Keeping “Magic” stations operating or not?

Sure, the way they keep going with mismangement they will be.

1 Like

If someone was smart, they’d buy 2CH and 3MP/CR (licence the frequency like SEN) and have a AM/DAB+ and Online 2-city network. Imagine Smooth+Personality talk, it’d be a winner.

Jane Edmondson is leaving 3AW after presenting gardening show The Big Backyard for 14 years with Darren James. Her final show will be this Sunday morning.

1 Like

Murray Olds and Deb Knight to host breakfast over the summer period on Talking Lifestyle, Magic 1278 and Magic 882.

1 Like

So this means, the end of 2ch. Or maybe the rebirth of 2ch. I doubt they would rebroadcast 2ue on 2ch.

No, it seems that Magic Melbourne and Magic Brisbane will take the Sydney 2UE breakfast show. News on the sale of 2CH next week I believe.

1 Like

Wonder if the name will change from magic to talking lifestyle over Christmas

I hope they don’t use something like “Macquarie Radio Summer Breakfast”. The name Macquarie means nothing to listeners.

It’ll be very interesting to see what MRN do on Christmas Day with 2GB and 2UE Talking Lifestyle as far as programing is concerned. Hopefully they won’t take the cheap option and simulcast the same programing like what happened several years back (I think 2011?) when there was a 2GB/2CH/MTR simulcast.

As far as possible changes to Magic are concerned, one would imagine that any major programing changes to 1278 Melbourne, 882 Brisbane or even the soon to be divested 2CH 1170 Sydney will probably happen sometime early in the new year but of course I could be wrong!

Presumably you wouldn’t get 3EE Talking Lifestyle, or a revival of 4BH - I wonder what’s their plan for branding the stations in networked content in general? Talking Lifestyle is a slogan not a station name, they’re going to need some way of referring to them.

2 Likes

Lifestyle 1278 or something probably, they lack imagination as it is.

3 Likes

George & Paul have confirmed (on air) that they will be heard in Melbourne and Brisbane from February. It still intrigues me who will do weekday breakfast. I presume it will be John Stanley & Garry Linnell out of Sydney.

1 Like

I’m thinking the only local content will be the news from 3AW and 4BC with all programs coming out of 2UE. But what will happen with the overnight show? Will 2GB, 3AW and 4BC now get the same show, with the Lifestyle stations having a separate overnight program??