Nine Radio (Talk)

It’s probably been asked before but isn’t Stephanie that really old sounding woman that (from what I recall of some discussion on pre-Discourse Media Spy) Ray Hadley essentially once barred from calling his program?

Doing a quick Google search, Mike Carlton was one of the 2UE announcers Stephanie made complaints (which I believe were rejected) about to what was then the ABA in 2002.

Carlton apparently had a comedic character with the name Stephanie (with a different surname, but still likely based in part on Alan Jones’ most famous caller one suspects), probably in his long running “Friday News Review” segment.

2 Likes

Alan’s leave has been on Macquarie Syndication’s website for weeks. Alan made mention of it the other day…something about a medical procedure.

2 Likes

Are we sure it’s not Bryan Wiseman?

1 Like

Brain insertion or removal? :rofl:

2 Likes

Heart transplant

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2SM 1269 Sydney

The Australian has heard rumours around 2GB that if Alan Jones leaves, Hadley would move to breakfast and possibly either Ben Fordham or Karl Stefanovic would takeover mornings with the other doing drive. It is also reported that Andrew Bolt found it more financially viable to leave Macquarie than stay as he was given a payout. I wonder if Jones has a similar exit clause? The Australian claims that 2GB is now averse to paying high salaries.

2 Likes

They would as they always do against competitors. I gave up on their media reporting long ago due to the lack of objectivity.

1 Like

2GB news at 7am - lead story:
“The New Zealand Government is considering cracking down on gun laws in the wake of the Christchurch massacre”

To “crack down” on something is “to get rid of it”. For example, to crack down on underage drinking. To crack down on speeding. I doubt the NZ Government is thinking of “cracking down” on their gun laws.

I think they meant to say “The New Zealand Government is considering tightening gun laws…”

Sigh.

2 Likes

Not really. From the Cambridge Dictionary.

crack down — phrasal verb
to start dealing with bad or illegal behaviour in a more severe way

1 Like

Exactly - you can crack down on guns.

But not gun laws.

:joy:

Wondering if anyone knows why the last week or so, during commercial breaks they seem to cut to the AW Jingle from the start for a portion of the break and it then cuts back out mid commercial?
Seems to happen a lot throughout the day.

Is it something to do with betting regulations of online streaming and they are playing it to cover the ad? It’s the only thing I could think of why it’s happening or if there’s a glitch in their system and it’s airing on the usual Radio broadcast as well?

What are you using to stream the station or are your listening over the air?

Are you using this? http://shout01.stream.hostworks.com.au/3aw/

Streaming through the app.

Just wondering why it’s happening. Seems to be either deliberate or a system glitch on their end.

Contact them direct to find out why.

It sounds like a poor version of ad insertion.

It really is odd hey? Well the ads on the stream are the same as what’s broadcast on air across normal radio. I feel it is masking something because it cuts off at different times and the next commercial is missing the start of it.

It could be ad insertion which is masking original content, they’ve made an incorrect setting, enabled it therefore the problem you’re receiving.

1 Like

The Daily Telegraph has named the person described in a public Facebook post by a former 2GB producer.

This is a tough status update to write. But in order for me to process life going forward I thought I’d let you all know.

Mostly for family, I can’t ring everyone and at the moment please don’t ring me. Others already know what I’m about to state or have seen what I’m about to say.

For a number of years I’ve suffered mental health problems. I won’t bore you with the resulting ill effects. But they’ve been very serious.

After seeking intensive treatment I’m getting much better, as you’d hope. What I’ve learnt about my condition from all the psychiatric advice I’ve been given points towards two things.

Trauma, the death of my parents, a real obvious one. Nothing could prevent this and I know we have all suffered losses. That’s just life, sadly.

But also 16 years of intense bullying by a work colleague at Radio 2GB. I can’t bring myself to name the person, because even with my new found clarity and insight I fear their unpredictability. This person is incredibly intelligent, a pure genius at getting out of a sticky spot. Plus is backed by much more coin then me!

But then again you don’t need to be Sherlock Holmes to work it out.

Working in the media, straight out of school was literally a dream come true. But gradually as time passed I was subjected to vile and inexcusable behaviour. I know many of you have witnessed what I’m talking about.

I also took part to an extent in this behaviour. When you’re dealing with someone you’ve put on a pedestal since the age of 8, someone who can pick up the phone and ring the Prime Minister, Opposition Leader or Police Commissioner on a whim, someone that an entire company relies on for a significant part of its profit - well you tend to just do what they say.

I’ll admit that I was well remunerated eventually and I got to do and see some amazing things. Attending Olympic Games for example.

But I was bullied. Not the kind of “harden up” or “tough leadership” style treatment but out of control sheer rage. It was directed at me at least weekly. Yet I was constantly told I was the best at my role by this person. A role that’s relatively rare in radio.

I’ve heard this person blame their behaviour on a culture that was around in the 80’s. Which is just a load of crap. There’s plenty of decent media people from that era.

At one point I think we went several months without talking to each other. This is a person that sat 5 metres away from me, 6 or 7 days a week in a soundproof studio. Thank god there was double glazed glass between us.

But it also meant a covert form of bullying could take place, far removed from a management that could barley contain this person themselves.

It’s been two years since I resigned from that role, after calling the person out for it. Obviously I was a slow learner.

I moved to another program, but a pattern of being marginalised, given the silent treatment and the removal of roles I’d been told I was excelling at started to occur. This person once hated a former employee so much he carried a copy of an old footy card featuring the ex league player in his wallet. Kind of like a voodoo doll, I dunno it was a tad weird. So an expert at holding a grudge.

Did I ever complain? Yes. As far back as 2008 I was removed from the show for a short period after sending an email about my concerns. But complaining was about as effective as setting yourself on fire.

Basically I was holding onto a dream, while one of the most powerful broadcasters had me firmly in their grasp. Why did I not leave earlier? I think coming from a simple upbringing with no university education I feared there was nowhere else to go.

So where to from here. Well, I’m felling much better. A stint in a clinic will do that! Much, much better in fact. It has taken me two years to reveal this, but my health issues go back well over a decade. Thank god I met my wife and have my beautiful son in my life.

I don’t expect this revelation will go down that well. I’m ready for some nasty blowback and the opening of a Pandora’s box.

There’s a good chance the shit will hit the fan to be frank. Working for a lunatic doesn’t make you a model citizen, that I will concede. I’m sure some dirt will be found on me.

But I don’t want sympathy, even attention. I mean who wants all of this out there!

But I want bullying to stop. The soul destroying type, the imbalance of power type the unchecked and unhinged type. Bullying doesn’t just occur in the schoolyard. It’s all around us. If I can stop this person from screaming and swearing like a maniac at just one more person, I’d consider that a win.

Thanks for listening. Trust me when I say I’m ok.

I’ve now officially indulged in Facebook oversharing.

Can’t say I’m surprised by the behaviour of the bully considering the manner in which he sometimes becomes unhinged when he takes a dislike to talkback callers or guests. Haven’t been able to listen to this presenter for years because he exhibits behaviour similar to what I was exposed to growing up from my late father. I recognise the fear and anxiety the producer would’ve felt being in this person’s presence. Nine must be a little nervous this is going to cost them considering the presenter has faced legal action in the past following a tirade directed towards an employee.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/ray-hadley-accused-of-bullying-by-former-2gb-producer-in-blistering-facebook-post/news-story/dd8a7d35c1a1a89bd7951eda197792a7

1 Like

Not exactly the behaviour of a sane person.