Nine Radio (Talk)

Never underestimate the pettiness of Australian media executives, so it could happen.

However, if he segment is working and there’s sponsorship attached and he’s a not direct competitor nor is he appearing on another radio show, then he’s probably safe.

Most segments of that nature are probably safe. They’ll no doubt take a good look at each of them and examine if keeping them is worth it but letting people go just because they appear elsewhere seems unlikely.

Australia and NZ are the 2 markets where this level of competitive paranoia seems to flourish. In the UK and the US personalities from other networks often appear on rival channels for a variety of reasons, usually publicity related. But both sides seem to appreciate the mutual benefits.

It seems the smaller the market the greater the pettiness.

4 Likes

No loss there!

An example of how things may playout is with WIN and their TV and radio assets, and SCA with theirs.

Both radio networks still feature talent from other television networks.

I agree that Nine would be mad to make such drastic changes simply to push an already VERY heritage TV brand. If they do, it won’t take listeners long to get upset about it.

Just for goodness sake could we PLEASE not have another dedicated 9Honey radio show on MML stations. It was bad enough on Talking Lifestyle for the few weeks it lasted.

MY PREDICTION: Nine will leave the majority of the radio network (including branding) very much as it is. I predict the name Macquarie will still live on for radio. Only that Nine will be sharing the obvious resources (Sales, News, digital, admin staff). But in saying this, get ready for a whole heap of cross promoting.

Bring on the Watch, Listen & Win tactics!

3 Likes

Last Friday (December 7) 3AW launched a new one-hour show on mental health called Mindful, hosted by Justin Smith, with Salvation Army’s Major Brendan Nottle and sports psychologist Jacqui Louder. Major Nottle said the show had a strong focus on strategies to deal with mental health issues.
It will be broadcast at 7pm-8pm Fridays until January 25, plus a two-hour show from 4pm to 6pm on Christmas Day.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mental-health-services-guaranteed-with-beyondblue-funding-boost/news-story/f847aa8d5e33db2db4513e89eb838867

3 Likes

Stephen Quartermain and Kate Stevenson are filling in for Ross and John on 3AW breakfast this week.

2 Likes

A few of the Christmas / New Year changes across the network until mid-Jan.

Andrew MacLaren is filling in for 3AW nightline.
Australia Overnight is also airing on 2GB/4BC - with John Deeks and Pat Panetta filling in.
Chris Kenny is filling in for Steve Price and Luke Davis on nights.
John Stanley is filling in for Ray Hadley.
Luke Grant is filling in for Ben Fordham.
Michael McLaren is filling in for Chris Smith until the end of December, and then Deborah Knight.
Nick McCallum and Justin Smith alternating filling in for Tom Elliot.
Tony Jones and Heidi Murphy are alternating filling in for Neil Mitchell.

I also believe that 4BC has no local programming currently over summer at this stage.

Also I don’t know how correct it is - but according to the Carols By Candlelight website - a simulcast of the event will be on 3AW and 4BC. It additionally says 2UE - which would be highly unlikely as its now part of the Sports network.

Network on Christmas Day (except 3AW) (AEDT):

5.30am - 9am John Stanley
9am - 2pm Exodus Foundation Christmas Lunch with Luke Davis
2pm - 7pm Luke Grant
7pm - 12am Mike Williams

3AW:

6am to midday: Shane McInnes
Midday to 4pm: Denis O’Kane and Richard Stansbury
4pm to 6pm: Mindful, with Justin Smith, Brendan Nottle and Jacqui Louder
6pm to midnight: Nightline with Phil Brady and Simon Owens

2 Likes

Well done!

Correct, no local shifts on 4BC. Only their profit centre of syndicated news, the only content going out of Cannon Hill.

AW’s Christmas day line up looks great, Nightline from 6pm, as it should be.

By the way, when does the Cannon Hill lease end? Nine should shift the stations to QTQ on the hill as soon as they can, fold these businesses in together.

Some interesting schedule changes. Australia Overnight from Melbourne will be a different style and pace than what 2GB and in recent years 4BC listeners are used to, a much softer show than Michael McLaren.

No local shows on 4BC until 21 January. Shocking really but they get away with it, no regulation on local content for metropolitan stations.

1 Like

Merry Christmas @martp, great to read your contributions.

1 Like

Thank you @crankymedia that’s very kind of you. I think our views on radio are very similar. Merry Christmas to you and everyone on here

1 Like

No Carols By Candlelight simulcast across the network it appears.

However 3AW has Nightline with Phillip and Simon doing a live outside broadcast from the event - but not airing the event itself, but are airing some delayed content from the broadcast instead.

2GB/4BC and other stations taking Christmas Eve with Mike Williams.

1 Like

Even the regional stations get 5 weeks a year where they don’t need to meet local content requirements.

Very sad indeed. Good on Stephen and the team for at least doing an OB, who better than Phil and Simon.

There’s more than enough revenue in metros to justify local 24/7 on every station.

It would encourage less overlap of format as more of the potential would be serviced by viable alternatives to each competitor.

1 Like

I’m not expecting metro stations to be local 24/7 but local in peak shifts and some sort of effort at the weekend probably isn’t that unreasonable to expect, certainly from a big player like Macquarie. I thought there was a certain irony in the message from 4BC heralding what was apparently their best survey results in 5 years - thanking Brisbane and then going on to say in effect see you again on 21 January!

1 Like

Agree. Just shows how neglected the station is. Running on the smell of an oily rag. This works for a few years to conserve money but long term, damages the licence running import content.

1 Like

I have been hearing rumours that this might become a permanent thing at some stage this year… But don’t quit me on that as it is only a rumour I have heard

Surely it hurts the 2GB product to be trying to make something that can be networked to Queensland? Or are the shows still just NSW focused with no regard to the listeners outside the state?

While I’m reluctant to assume that the ownership change matters - Nine on television do a lot to seem local to Queensland, and clearly they see that as particularly important there as they often go above what Melbourne get in terms of splitting from the Sydney “national” news content.

If it makes sense on TV, surely that should be part of their vision for the radio side of their operations as well.

4 Likes

this. there is minimal qld content and thats why they are as popular as a ham sandwich in a synagogue. you’ll get the occasional rant about the “lefty qld government” or something else but it seems they are using the frequency because they don’t it will be taken away

i would hope so - 9 probably the best at local content in Qld

2 Likes

It has been pretty much the case since 2GB took over in 2015, victim of the Fairfax radio/MRN merger.

So the summer of 15/16 onwards has had zero local content for weeks surely? Certainly happened 17/18.

1 Like

If Nine are to fix and not flick MRN, getting the Brisbane stations under the control of QTQ GM, Kylie Blucher would be their best path to rehabilitation for BC and BH.

Kylie worked for Austereo in their halcyon days in the 90’s in Sydney and Brisbane. She knows radio and its business very well.

Written it before and will write it again, BC has a ready to go breakfast show with QTQ staff, Luke Bradnam and Ben Dobbin, tailor a Brisbane version of the Ross and John bfast show, bring a couple of producers up from Melbourne who understand the content needed and you’ve created a vital fundamental of local shifts to later build from.

Find a decent, local talent for a lead in at 3am - 5:30am, yes, Brisbane is up at this time and many are the long TSL audience that would be perfect for BC and away you go.

2 Likes