Nine Radio (Talk)

How good is this. Spotted in BIGW.

2 Likes

I saw it in JB Hi-Fi the other day and I nearly lost my lunch.

Alan & Ray have done quite a few CDs before, if I’m not mistaken.

On the clearance table?

In the toys section? Because CDs make quite good frisbees. Weapons if you sharpen them enough. :wink:

91% Sydney 2GB content on 4BC has resulted in no difference to 4BC, look back before it went downhill in 2013, better results.

well at least Ray isn’t singing any songs on this CD! :smiley:

2 Likes

Peter FitzSimons is hearing that Alan Jones contract may not be renewed when it expires mid next year.

1 Like

Well he was eventually going to have to leave - either by being sacked, through his various illnesses and injuries or in a body bag. He’s 77 years old, he’s no spring chicken. Depending on what new overlords Nine want, he won’t necessarily have Singo in his corner to back him up.

If only Fitz’ prediction rings true.

1 Like

It will be the financials that kill him off figuratively speaking.

No amount of outrage will do it unless it hits the bottom line, particularly while his ratings remain strong and there’s no sign that they’re flagging.

Fitz is flying a flag here, there may well be an undercurrent of some dissatisfaction but I don’t reckon it’s anywhere near a conclusion.

He’s spot on about one thing; Hadley will replace Jones whenever it happens.

5 Likes

You’re already spared. Don’t listen. No one is forcing you to.

Agree completely - only when the revenue he brings in isn’t making up for the outgoings (I’m sure his salary is decent, and these multi-million defamation payouts certainly don’t help) then will we see change. But he is still ratings gold, as much as that is to the disgust of many, so while that remains and he keeps bringing in the dollars no sensible commercial venture is going to dump him

2 Likes

But would Hadley want to go breakfast? Does Nine want him to go breakfast?

Yes he does :grinning:

It’s the big kahuna of radio shifts… ego alone will drive Hadley to do it.

As for Nine, that is the big unknown.

I wonder if an Australian Network will ever try the “early breakfast” concept used by some UK stations.

As Jones gets older, and presuming he stays, he could start his program at 0630 or 0700. That would mean they’d need a strong early breakfast anchor to start at 0500 or maybe a little earlier.

That later start for the main talent would make life easier for them, allowing their working life to be potentially extended and perhaps allowing the “late” breakfast shift to run till 1000.

Would it work here?

1 Like

Does he still do his show from home?

1 Like

We know - there’s a great song dedicated to the likes or Ray and Kyle. :rofl:

I’m thinking more along the lines of how old Ray is. He’s no spring chicken either - well not quite.

You are right about Nine - they’ve said they want to be an “interested” shareholder in MML, and I reckon they would be looking at some sort of tie-up between them and 2GB, and indeed 3AW and the like. So it is an unknown area.

1 Like

2GB effectively already have it with Wake Up Australia from 4:00 to 5:30. Although it’s an extension of the overnight show, it is much faster-paced and more news and topical interview focussed than the overnight show. Michael McLaren does a fine job with it, and had a stint filling in for Alan on the real breakfast show a little while back, which Alan’s audience took pretty well it seemed.

1 Like

That’s true, the concept I was getting at was starting breakfast proper later… but I take your point.