Long distance television

This is an example of co-channel reception. This is SEQ 10 from Nambour with interference from DDQ 10 Darling Downs - the horizontal lines seen in image. Both stations could be received in Brisbane (to varying extents and affected by reception conditions) depending on which direction an antenna way pointed.

To get anything watchable a dedicated Band III antenna was needed. In this case I used a Hills 6 (?) element that covered channels 6-11. You could purchase 12 element versions that covered just 6-8 and 8-11 for super-fringe but they were very very large.

2 Likes

That was the first and only time I ever received those channels…

I was at my local gym earlier night, and noticed that they had Nine (NBN) Newcastle and Nine-NBN Central Coast on two TVs only a couple of sets apart.

However, Central Coast reception pixelated a fair amount, it would be fine for a few minutes then goes haywire for 20 seconds or so and then comes good again.

Their antenna is a basic phased array set up, but is feeding multiple TV sets, which may be causing too much of a drain on the signal (depending on what their distribution set up is like). Their antenna is probably 3 floors above street level.

Whereas I am 6 floors up, but use an indoor amplified antenna feeding only 1 TV, but my reception is more stable than what I saw at the gym (I get the occasional pop or glitch for a second or so maybe once every 10 minutes).

First time receiving WIN from Wide Bay under new affiliation… Very intense coastal tropo tonight especially from north up to past Rockhampton on radio.

4 Likes

I have some coast channels

Gosford

ABC
SBS
Ten Newcastle
PRIME7 Central Coast
7 Sydney
Nine-NBN Central Coast
Channel 9 Sydney
Ten Digital

Nerang

ABC
SBS
Ten Gold Coast
PRIME7 Gold Coast
7 Gold Coast
Nine-NBN Gold Coast
Channel 9 Gold Coast
Ten Digital

1 Like

Tamworth

ABC
SBS
Ten Tamworth
PRIME7 Tamworth
Nine New England

Toowomba

ABC
SBS
Nine Toowomba
7 Toowomba
WIN Darling Downs

Canberra

ABC
SBS
Nine Canberra
PRIME7 Canberra
WIN Canberra

Albury

ABC
SBS
Nine Albury
PRIME7 Albury
WIN Albury

Cairns

ABC
SBS
Nine Cairns
7 Cairns
WIN Cairns

Central West

ABC
SBS
Nine Orange
PRIME7 Orange
WIN Central West

Taree

ABC
SBS
Ten Taree
PRIME7 Taree
Nine Mid North Coast

Coffs Harbour

ABC
SBS
Ten Coffs Harbour
PRIME7 Coffs Harbour
Nine Mid North Coast

Northen Rivers

ABC
SBS
Ten Lismore
PRIME7 Lismore
Nine Far North Coast

Townsville

ABC
SBS
Nine Townsville
7 Townsville
WIN Townsville

1 Like

I bought a new indoor antenna today.

The main attractions with this one is that it has separately adjustable VHF / UHF gain controls, as well as that it doesn’t have a loop section, which I think hindered VHF reception.

And I’m pleased to say that it works very well on Sydney VHF (much better than my other amplified antenna), and also DAB+ radio, and at least as well as the previous antenna on UHF.

A minor downside is that it is some ways more cumbersome than my other unit, whereby the amplifier is a separate dongle.

This is the new unit below

The one below is what I had been using

The amplifier dongle for my new unit can be purchased separately and is here

1 Like

Any TV DX tonight in Vic?

Good evening I’ve just found a Wollongong channel Is still reception in North Parramatta

Nine Wollongong
PRIME7 Wollongong
WIN Illawarra

And it’s still works the reception on my LG DVD recorder VCR Player Combo

1 Like

Interesting!
So how did you manage to get all of

• Nine Newcastle
  • WIN Illawarra
  • Nine-NBN Central Coast

From North Parramatta when

a) Newcastle and Illawarra are on the same UHF channel (36)
b) Central Coast is on vertical polarity (when the others are both horizontal)?

2 Likes

With Sporadic E being prevalent this week for FM radio, what long distance television was received?

There must have been some VHF channels that surprised a few?

Higher than the usual 30 - 300 MHz for Sporadic E, but did the off air receive for translators in the Hunter and Illawarra suffer their co-channeled interference (normally from coastal ducting) or was this phenomenon limited to only more distant skips from Sporadic E?

I checked the TV when the openings were on but didn’t see anything.

2 Likes

Saw this article which might be of interest to DXers: http://tedium.co/2016/05/12/dxing-radio-television-history/

Also notes some world record DX activity recorded from within Australia.

1 Like

Wide Bay into Brisbane tonight

5 Likes

It is a REAL shame that there are hardly any DXable TV frequencies left now.

In my area, all I have ANY hope for are VHF 10 and UHF 29, 34, 45 and 49-51.

And the nature of digital being that you need virtually NiL interference from an unwanted station to be able to get the signal that would otherwise be DXable.

1 Like

MySwitch tells me that I should have good reception of the Illawarra stations but I’ve never had any luck. I assume it’s because the antenna on top of my unit block is set up to get the Sydney stations only.

1 Like

Yes, Yagis in particular can be very directional.

The longer the antenna, the more directional I think.

And there can be signal loss with shared antennas and long cable runs in those set ups too,

Possibly a VHF only antenna ?

The main chances for me are VHF 10 and UHF 36 (Rockhampton) or as you said hoping for a distant station to overpower a closer one.

1 Like

Well the chances of me getting some TV DX from Melbourne is none.

But from the other location SE of Geelong I should receive, Launceston (rare), Gippsland, Ballarat (if I point the antenna NW) and Melbourne (gets patchy at night)

I have received none of them except Melbourne.

Sometimes I pray on DX because of the patchy signal on the Melbourne signals, tho sometimes I think the old set top box is the cause of the problems sometimes.

I’m going down there tomorrow until Monday but I doubt I can share any caps because I haven’t had any luck receiving any of the regionals on the set top box thats there.

TV DXing for me is going from two sets of the Melbourne channels to three.

1 Like