KIIS Network

Odd thought, but could this just be a bargaining ploy by ARN? Publicly announce they’re letting her go, with the hope of getting her management back to the table to accept an offer they may consider more ‘reasonable’? Weird strategy I admit, especially with a very popular host, but possible nonetheless?

Alternatively, what would Robin be likely to do going forward anyway? She has a big profile in Brisbane but less so elsewhere, so a national media gig in say TV might be hard to come by. And if the high-rating 97.3 can’t bring themselves to pay her asking price, I can’t see any of the other adult stations in this city (like 4KQ or the cost-cutters at Magic) forking out the dollars for her

I say this as nothing against her at all - she’s the pick of the team in my admittedly not-overly-intimately-familiar opinion, but I just wonder if this announcement is more of posturing during negotiations than a clear ‘dismissal’

true, but theres always those weekend travel shows like the great south east and whatnot she could end up on alongside sophie formica and the rest of em

Robin Bailey speaks out about shock axing from 97.3FM

She was called in to a meeting with management immediately following her shift yesterday and told her services were no longer required. She will not be back on air.

While the station is yet to name Bailey’s replacement, Campbell signalled further announcements about the breakfast trio were due “soon”.

But rumours were already circulating among industry insiders yesterday, with sources suggesting that mornings presenter Louise Poole could be offered the gig.

1 Like

This is a very odd decision. Robin was the star of the show and the reason it rated so well over the years. Let’s not forget Robin was also part of B105’s breakfast domination in the 90’s and so has built a very loyal following in Brisbane over many years that cannot be replaced easily.

1 Like

Already has a foot in the door there. 9 News female panels, Today Show, daytime news panels etc. Very good relationship.

Kiss 1011 breakfast has failed to fire. Meshel Laurie back to Bris to 973?

Other tea leaf readers invented a pairing of Luke Bradnam and Robin Bailey on MMM.

Yes if 4MMM had any brains it would grab Robin and slowly push back into a classic hits/soft rock FM104 format that worked so well for so many years. It would also hit 97.3’s main demo, knocking back into the field, pushing Nova and Hit 105 up the ladder as well.

This is a classic case of poor negotiation skills on the part of her manager/agent. He obviously pushed for too much money and she was prepared to leave. She would have been across everything the manager/agent was saying to ARN.

1 Like

The Courier Mail has revealed that “Veteran Gold Coast radio announcer Bianca Dye will replace Robin Bailey.”

When discussing Spencer Howson leaving 612 breakfast on his show this morning a comment was made by Steve Austin (mornings) to expect another big change (departure?) in breakfast radio in Brisbane this year.

Jack Laurence to replace Matty Acton and anchor Hughesy & Kate next year.

Jack used to be at Sea FM Gold Coast. SCA will poach him back if they’re happy with his improvement.

of course, no one stays at ARN for career development. SCA treat ARN like a regional development ground as well as their own stations.

Meanwhile, Radio Today reports Luke James (aka Manchild) is moving back to KIIS 1065 as Kyle and Jackie O’s Operations Producer. He is currently Executive Producer of the Hit Network’s Ash London Live.

Hey did you know im know Robins son hes was at my primary school years ago thats true Me & Him been friends for a long time

2 Likes

Welcome, enjoy your time here.

Duncan Campbell: “That format hasn’t worked for us”

What does he say in the interview? I’ve had no time to put aside to listen, prefer quick glances over written stories.

To “expect changes” in 2017: he wasn’t clear if those changes are to music, or presenters, or both.

2 Likes

Thank you. It was their error, very bad, messed with the format.

There are clear format gaps in the Perth market, ARN chose to make a gap where there wasn’t one. Fools.

3 Likes