#jacketgate

There’s something about Julie I don’t like. I could understand Amber’s frustrations with her as Amber has been there for years and Julie gets promoted from early early morning news to weekend today weather fill in to the coveted sports reporter role (does she even like sport?) I feel like she thinks its a stepping stone so she took it.

In Amber’s defense I don’t think it was because Julie was wearing white, it was because she looked at the monitor and saw how stupid they all looked and knew they would get either calls from stupid viewers or the comments from the bosses. I’m surprised there was no producer around to see this but maybe they are all on holidays still?

People were saying why couldn’t Amber put on a jacket? Well that would have been stupid considering she had just read a bulletin with no jacket up until that point. It was the most logical thing to ask in that situation and as Amber said she gave her fair warning.

And I wouldn’t put it past someone in that clip leaking it to humiliate Amber and lift their own profile.

4 Likes

and Clementine Ford is an idiot, she can find any topic and blame a man for it.

4 Likes

Honestly, I don’t see the problem with the three women wearing white.

All it needed to be was something professional looking and uncontroversial, which all three ladies had on.

And as like @SydComMedia posted in Post 1246 further above regarding the Today team, all 6 of them were all happily wearing white tops and dark pants, and I didn’t see anything wrong with that (not that I am any fashionista since I only have three pairs of shoes :smile: ).

1 Like

Or any woman who has the audacity to make choices Ford doesn’t approve of. Her way is the only way and she’ll roast anyone who doesn’t go along with it.

I agree with your view on this entire tempest in a teapot. Amber Sherlock may have overreacted and the whole thing is pretty ridiculous, but one has to wonder why someone found it necessary to leak the footage. It strikes me as rather petty and pathetic.

3 Likes

No. ABC employees are fully capable of separating their personal opinions from their work and I see no reason why the simple expression of support for something (I also don’t agree with) requires dismissal.

Thanks for the contractual analysis, matlock.

In any case, I don’t see how you’ve entered her brain and dissected how she is fully capable of separating her personal opinions etc. etc. You’ve just made up a sentence there. I’ve seen her espouse the same silly opinions on Q&A anyway.

I’m not reading her contract. Her twitter is her own outlet, not the ABC’s. She’s fully entitled to express her own opinion through that medium if she wants and that shouldn’t have anything to do with her employment.

RE: her on Q&A, Andrew Bolt was on Insiders for many years with his opinions. Both are programmes which espouse opinions.

Sorry. That is simply wrong. See SBS sports reporter & ANZAC Day a year or two ago.

Was he a guest on Insiders or an ABC employee? Genuine question. Don’t know.

Pretty much anyone is fired if they make racist, homophobic or anti-Semitic jokes on social media. Crabb’s tweet has none?

1 Like

Well, I’m going to add a new category to yours there. One that is actually, you know, kind of related to the job of journalism.

Nonsensical, illogical remarks which make ordinary ‘consumers’ of ABC News products question the journalistic rigour of the ABC.

Wasn’t an employee I don’t think, but did come to fame during his stint regularly appearing on the programme.

Crabb isn’t paid for appearances on Q&A so there’s no difference in my eyes between the two.[quote=“Firetorch, post:1338, topic:148”]
Well, I’m going to add a new category to yours there. One that is actually, you know, kind of related to the job of journalism.

Nonsensical, illogical remarks which make ordinary ‘consumers’ of ABC News products question the journalistic rigour of the ABC.
[/quote]
I have a clause in my non-journalism employment contract for responsible social media usage.

And I don’t see many people depending on Mrs. Kitchen Cabinet’s twitter feed to make judgements on ABC. Non-issue.

Well, I didn’t say it was the biggest issue facing the world in 2017…

In any case, I’m not Ms Crabb’s employer (even though I do contribute to her salary). I’m not here to direct you to clause 23(b) of her contract and show you how she has over-stepped the mark…

I’m here as a regular pundit, a consumer of news products, highlighting how absurd it is for a prominent ABC employee to go out of her way to publicly agree with the most nonsensical, nasty article I have seen. She could have quietly read the article and nodded along if she agreed with it. She didn’t. She used her platform to make a (subtle to most people but blindly obvious to anyone that is switched on) political point.

In any case, at the end of the day, I had the same tone directed at me for years on this forum when I would highlight how inadequate Melissa Doyle was as host of Sunrise. Until, actually, Seven decided the same and shafted her. I have a nose for these things. When you say for example, that there is no push from any quarter for Leigh to be sacked, well, here it is. On these forums. I was the only one pushing for Doyle’s removal for years. Journos don’t campaign for the removal of other journos (just see how Fox has backed CNN after the Trump presser this week) - so I don’t know where you expect a campaign to start, if not with viewers.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/amber-sherlock-and-julie-snook-video-the-laughing-stock-of-jimmy-kimmel-live/news-story/bb76c71daffde4956fe07fd50a884257

1 Like

I definetly don’t like Clemintine Ford, she puses her agenda so much that all men are bad and then she blames men for what happened between the two female employees in the great jacketgate? Seriously? I don’t take her seriously at all.

Second, I think some of the negative comments directed at her on instragram and twitter, were too far. If you are going to critique someone’s meltdown at least do so constructively. Don’t do it where the children can see it, or better yet, if you haven’t going anything nice or constructive to say don’t post out there! It sticks, once it does! And people have feelings.

I think this is the problem with social media - It has become a place where people attack other people when something goes wrong and not necessarily do it for the better, but more for because everyone else is doing it.

It’s a shame though - I don’t think she should have reacted like that , I am grateful it wasn’t live to air! It was truly unprofessional in my opinion and if i did that in my workplace. Financial Services - or behaved like that in front of a client and said “oh sorry can you put on a jacket because your business shirt is the same colour of my business shirt?” I would probably get a chewing from the boss.

Secondly - whoever leaked it - Should be disciplined. It’s one thing to share it around the office for a b it of laugh, but to leak it out to the public and have all this crap go down? Surely they would have known this was about to happen and that to me - it’s like leaking confidential information - should be instant fireable…

This thread isnt the ABC thread, and I would appreciate if you didn’t hijack it. look I don’t like much of the ABC, but out of all the things you could have chosen to talk about - especially since this particular news of Amber Sherlock is interesting and now reaching world wide news services, you chose to single Annabel Crabb? Her opinion is her opinion if she wants to agree with the Ford, then she can do so. Doesn’t make her anything. Just shows that she’s allowed to have an opinion outside of her job.

Moving on…

Just read that article about Kimmel. :wink: They’d definitely dissect the video on #TheView that’s for sure.

A vile piece of work with her triggered feminist rants.

2 Likes

lol

Julie Snook taking no chances tonight. She wore a multicoloured outfit for her cross during the sport segment.

This incident has snowballed to the point where I think it has become necessary for Nine to remove Sherlock until it blows over. An enforced break of a couple of weeks would certainly allow all parties to get some perspective and evaluate the amount of damage this has done to the Nine News brand. I think Amber can recover from this but it will certainly take time to rebuild her image.

6 Likes

Yes, let’s move on from discussing the Australian MEDIA’S response to this incident, which is what this website is all about, to what an American chat show said about it.

Please stop hijacking MEDIASpy discussions to give us a rant on what you believe to be more important or not.

I already addressed the incident. I referred to Amber Sherlock’s behaviour. I then moved on to also discussing what representatives of Fairfax and the ABC have published in the public domain regarding the incident.