Andrew Jaffrey?

5 Likes

Harold?

3 Likes

Swanny. He recruited me too

3 Likes

Did Mediaspy really have a news arm??

I’ve missed out ._.

Yeah. I have been around since 2002. Back when we used to get heaps of inside scoops.

3 Likes

Ah The Spy Report. Those were the days. And anyone remeber MS Monthly?

3 Likes

If that was the case, probably a bit stupid to purge the whole website and downgrade to just a Forum. But there must have been a reason for it :wink:

They were subsections of the forums. There were a few attempts over the years, but they always ended up with outdated info on them as the guys managing them moved on.

We used to get annual re-skins of the board as well. Mr Q was one of the guys who did some great graphics work, also great Mocks.

2 Likes

Was feeling nostalgic, here’s a trip down memory lane. They grow up so fast.

I wonder if all my old posts are available to cringe at…

20 Likes

It was great when it broke news but otherwise just had the same news that appeared on other sites such as TV Tonight.

1 Like

Spy Report was probably the golden era of this site.

11 Likes

Haven’t seen the first few versions ever before. Learning…

The red page was when I first visited all those years ago.

Wayback Machine is brilliant.

Unfortunately has limited use (i.e.) specific posts next to non-existant now.

Swanny was a legend of news for MediaSpy, yes.

But no, I wasn’t referring to him.

It was Tim somebody I’m pretty sure?
@tamago_otoko gave a farewell post to him.

Probably TJ Kirk or Cyril Washbrook

1 Like

Tim Graham?

1 Like

Ah… What a bloke. The tech mastermind of MediaSpy.

No, no and…

No.

Thanks for helping though.

I recall there was some sort of plan to keep the old site available in a read-only mode at the original mediaspy.org domain (hence why the Media Spy forums are at forums.mediaspy.org instead of mediaspy.org). From what I remember this idea was dumped and it took a very, very long time (months?) for mediaspy.org to redirect to forums.mediaspy.org, which gave me the shits until I got used to it.

I did want to have a look at my old posts during the Lindt Cafe siege a few weeks ago approaching the third anniversary of that event. I recall I made a bit of a running commentary while the police raided the cafe at 3am.

The new forum software seems to be much more stable than the old one though. I recall there were far more long-term outages back in the day than there are now.

7 Likes

Likewise, I used Wayback to read the thread on Where were you on 9/11, which was super interesting. Half of it was never captured though.

Lots of interesting threads on the old forums though. The original 2006 boxy Nine launch and a couple of threads on Seven vs Nine ratings battles were nice hours-long reads.

1 Like

What forum software was the old site using?

phpBB does have transfer capability to Discourse but it’s a pain according to the guide.