Ideas, Issues, Suggestions

Repost of that info from earlier

Instead of posting from the browser address bar (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC-pn9RLT4E) - go to the bottom of the video an select SHARE and a different address with appear to copy

2 Likes

OK thanks will try that - although it seems a bit odd when you consider the official v= is in the URL, and I’m pretty sure it use to work here. But thank you.

He’d better not. Regardless of his, err, biases, Luke is a national treasure. He gives the forum a unique twist.

2 Likes

I wanted to post this link in the HD thread because I quoted from it:

I got a message that someone else had posted the same link in an earlier post (on 23 November), and do I still want to post it, but the content of the page has changed. The content shown in the post is from the old page. “ABC main channel is making the transition to high definition on 6 December” is not there any more. It’s as though Media Spy has cached the old content and is using that instead of the new content. Interestingly, it got the “ABC HD is now live” right from the new content.

Can I just get it to post a link only? You might not always want any content so it shouldn’t be enforced, and in this case I had to leave the link out because the content it was going to show was wrong.

I’m assuming the message you received was automated? (If so, niiiiice)

Probably easiest to quote the original post and add a remark that ABC HD is now up and running.

Yes, automated. I thought it was nice too, since I didn’t want to re-post what had been posted, but in this case it wasn’t a re-post because the content had changed.

[quote=“Bort, post:453, topic:22”]
Probably easiest to quote the original post and add a remark that ABC HD is now up and running.[/quote]

No, the point of my post was that the ABC trumpeted “spectacular HD” on the day the channel went live but broadcast nothing in HD quality. It was the page’s current content plus the date 6 December that mattered.The earlier content and post linking to it were irrelevant.

Hi
I have had a post removed from the Nine thread. It was a good post and link in regards to shows that Nine will be losing and no longer screening such as Two Broke Girls, Gotham, Mom, etc
Very relevant, very topical and BANG gone.
Explain?

Is there anyway i can block someone from viewing my posts? I know the old forums had that function, but can’t seem to find it here.

Our consistent rule has been that we don’t allow bloggers to post direct links to their work.

One sentence that provides a setup to the content of an article with your name on it doesn’t constitute a good post.

1 Like

I use Chrome and Safari. I think it doesn’t like PNG’s or any files with over 1MB. If I convert to JPEG it works, though PNG just stays stuck at 100% uploading.

Testing a PNG uploaded from my mac using chrome:

Edit - seems to work fine???

I’m going to extend this out and say that unless you add some meaningful commentary to the link, it will be removed as well (and this also goes for all people posting links)

1 Like

1 Like

Hi
People link to TV Tonight and others all the time and its okay - just as long as it is not actually TV Tonight doing it?
This is not taking readers from your site. These other blogs and sites are NOT message boards as such so the real discussion happens here.
At the time nobody had linked and the information that Gotham would not be returning to Nine, future seasons of Mom and Two Broke Girls are out because of a renegotiated WB deal and viewers would not see the final seasons of a couple of shows is a.) news b.) definite interest to people that talk about tv in MediaSpy and c.) is definitely worthy of discussion.

Why you would feel parochial about MediaSpy having a link to another site that would be the basis of discussion here is beyond me?

So let me get this right - you can link to The Australia, Tv Tonight, Daily Telegraph, Ad News and all that if it creates discussion as long as the person that wrote the original article is not the one whom wrote it?

Correct. That’s never come up in the past as none of the journalists who write for those sites visit MS to provide direct links to their work.

And as you may have noticed, another member has since written a post that summarises the key facts contained in your article and has provided a link to it. That post will remain because it adds to the discussion. People can obtain the key facts from the post, and visit your article via the link provided to read the full content.

Well at least you admit it. You don’t like people that write articles to make a link to their work. That is the most ridiculous thing ever and I am pretty sure unheard of on the entire world wide web. It must be some kind of paranoia.

I could not care less about getting hits on a story I write. I been in tv writing business for over 16 years and have a real passion for it and something like that was a good discussion point that be good to share and talk about. MediaSpy only place like that. You also have stated that this has never come up before with other journalists which means I am the only one that has done it. I can only infer then you have an issue with me - whatever it is it is childish.

It just about sharing a story for discussion because I am passionate about tv and have provided MS with some exclusives in the past before I even write stuff. Just petty

No, it could be considered Astroturfing or Sockpuppeting - Not everyone will draw the parallel between your identity here and your writing

The content contained within the link is not the issue (and it never has been) - a handful of words and a link doesnt really add anything to the discussion.

For someone who admitted “could not care less about getting hits” this seems to be an ongoing issue - this has been our position for some time now and nothing has changed.

‘handful of words’? It is not supposed to add to the discussion, it is supposed to formulate the discussion. I put the information out there to start the discussion, just as people quote a whole heap of other sites and articles.

It seems to be an ongoing issue because you let it. I can tell you for a fact that your readers don’t mind. They like to come on here and discuss anything relevant to television, whatever the source. They know I have been around a long time, they know schedule updates and info are accurate and really don’t care about moderator politics. The ongoing issue is that some people in admin have a personal issue and can’t let go. At the end of the day it is a good tv talking point and your happy for anyone to post a link - just not me.

If you had a real issue with people not making the difference you could have just asked that I make a disclaimer such as ‘I am the author of the linked story’

‘This has been our position for some time’ whilst also admitting that nobody else does it. So the real answer is that ‘it has been our position for some time to create a rule just for you’.

Your readers appreciate the info - some admin just have a personal issue.

Mate, look at it this way.
Anything that is part of the discussion on the forum should be posted directly to the forum. Be that your own opinions or relevant quotes from external articles (posted in quotes). Links should only be used to show the source or be a source of further information that is not directly relevant. The forum should flow without having to open links to read the discussion. For example, external websites change - articles can be removed or links change. When that happens, the link you post will be nothing more than an error page. If the purpose of your post will be lost when that link breaks, then it’s not a well constructed post.

4 Likes

Sorry, I’m on the mobile so I can’t quote directly:

• this isn’t a political issue, personal vendetta or some kind of conspiracy (or anything else you order anyone else wants to attempt to construct it to be)
  • we have removed posts in the past for the same reason by other users
  • we have also removed posts where the content (effectively a link and some teaser words) don’t add to the discussion - given the way the threads work, unless it’s a brand new post, you’re effectively adding to the discussion of the broader thread topic

I’m currently talking with the team about the matter to see if there is a mutual acceptable way forward - this will likely result in some give and take from both parties

If you have any further concerns about this, please contact me directly