Ideas, Issues, Suggestions

Every village has an idiot but sometimes we seem to be overrun with them. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Some common types of village people :sparkles::

11 Likes

I’m defo the Cowboy.

1 Like

Not at all. The issue can be that what one person considers to be banter may be considered by someone else as trolling, baiting, bullying, teasing etc. It can be a very fine line and very subjective, which makes moderation difficult at times.

I guess the key is to treat others with respect. I’m not one to ask the Banter Train to pull up at the next station, but do try to remember that what you may think is a friendly jibe or witty comment may not be received in the same way by whoever it is directed towards.

The preceding post has not taken any particular users or circumstances into consideration.

Giddy up

7 Likes

They have really turned the camp dial down from 11 for the modern generations

I worked out how to link to an image rather than copying it from a website then uploading it. But after I submitted my post I noticed that a copy of the image was automatically downloaded from the original website. Is this what always happens with linked images?

I’m most definitely the elder statesman of we idiots :smiley:

1 Like

Pretty sure.

I just noticed a big change on the homepage, with categories on the left half and topics with latest post on the right half. Why this change? It will take sometime to get used to the new layout.

1 Like

Yeah, it must have changed after midday. I think it is too wide. Do prefer the old layout though.

1 Like

Don’t mean to be too harsh but after only a minute and a wander around, I can say with certainty that I don’t like it…

The right hand column looks very lopsided since it is so long compared to the left-hand side. As a result, when you scroll down there is dead space in the left-hand column which I don’t think looks professional (compared to before).

In terms of using it, with the old homepage, I could get a good look of recent posts in each section separately which was good I knew what I was looking at and could quickly judge whether I wanted to go in or pass. But since the whole forum is now grouped together on the right-hand side, you have to go through the garbage (i.e. stuff I’m not interested in) to find what you want to read.

It’s a backwards step IMO.

1 Like

Seems like someone has added the Latest to the Categories page. Would prefer to keep them separate. Maybe have another page that is a hybrid for the home page, but allow individual users to set their preferred layout? I prefer the Categories on their own as it was before.

1 Like

I believe this is something to do with a new version of Discourse rather than anything the admins/mods have decided on.

1 Like

Is there any way to remove it somehow? I suspect probably not, but I’d rather have it how it was beforehand.

1 Like

On my mobile nothing has changed, all looks the same.

Yep - we upgraded to the latest version today - I’ve reverted the front page style to what it was prior to the upgrade

4 Likes

Out of interest, what’s been new in the latest version?

We dont really know - each version (which happens every few days) contains hundreds of changes (mostly bug fixes and security patches.

Having said that, this is an early beta (beta 3) of the current version - features usually come later

1 Like

I note in the “Users” section it is possible to view stats on individual users eg. who has made the most posts in the last week etc.

And the “Top” section gives you some stats on threads or topics.

But is there a way to view stats on individual posts eg. which ones have the most reads, likes or replies etc?

Kinda. Have a look at the Badges section: http://forums.mediaspy.org/badges

For example, only two posts have received more than 25 likes.

It’s almost up to three: @nationalnews just liked one of my zingers from February (!) which took me up to 22…