International Politics (non-USA)

1 Like
1 Like

1 Like

NZ Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern has postponed September’s election by four weeks to October 17.

The remake of the popular animated film, partly shot in Xinjiang in north-western China, gave two high-powered Chinese Communist Party authorities “special thanks” in the credits.

The Turpan Muncipal Bureau of Public Security is responsible for running “re-education camps” for the Uighur persecuted minority in Xinjiang, where up to 1 million people have reportedly been detained as part of a push to assimilate the population into a single Chinese-identity.

The Publicity Department of the Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region Committee is tasked with refuting claims from human rights groups that the Chinese government’s actions amount to a cultural genocide.

1 Like

Today is Election Day in New Zealand. Jacinda Arden is the favourite time form government. I love the way they have to form government though. It gives the smaller parties and the public so much more responsibility and power.

They are also voting on two referendums: End of Life Choice Act and Cannabis legislation. If they receive 50% in favour then the acts will be enacted making New Zealand one of the, in opinion, forward thinking countries in the world.

Currently 15% of votes have been counted and labour are leading with 50% of the vote. The greens have the biggest increase and hold 8%. There were worries they would lose seats in this election after the last. Labour has a chance to form government without any other party for the first time in a very long time (not sure if exact date but could be the first time since the new voting system begun).

Jacinda Ardens partner delivered media fish and chips. They were waiting outside their house. The media has been very friendly to her so I guess it’s a kind gesture.

1 Like

Preliminary results for the referendums on End of Life Choice Act and cannabis legislation won’t be released until October 30, with full results to come on November 6.
2 Likes

The reality of Brexit hits Britain

2 Likes

The NLD beat a pro-military party in the November election.

Ms Suu Kyi’s party captured 396 out of 476 seats in the combined lower and upper houses of Parliament, far above the 322 needed to secure a majority.

The military, known as the Tatmadaw, claimed there was massive voting fraud in the election, though it has failed to provide proof.

The state Union Election Commission last week rejected its allegations.

2 Likes

“In order to perform scrutiny of the voter lists and to take action, the authority of the nation’s law making, governance and jurisdiction is handed over to the Commander in Chief in accordance with the 2008 constitution … The state of emergency is effective nationwide and the duration of the state of emergency is set for one year, starting from the date this order is announced in line with article 417 of the 2008 constitution.”= Myanmar coup sees military declare control as leaders Aung San Suu Kyi, President Win Myint detained in raids

Posted 6hhours ago, updated 28mminutes ago abc

1 Like

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade confirmed Australia provided “technical assistance” over three years to help with the development of the Anti-Terrorism Act.

2 Likes

Can someone explain to me what happened with the last Irish election? Or Irish politics in general. A friend was telling me that the prime minster duty was being shared in 6 month increments. I did some research and I just can’t quite grasp it as it looked like a three way split at the last election.

1 Like

Neither the major parties: Fine Gail or Fianna Fail could form a majority government as Sinn Fein made major gains creating a 3-way near tie with all 3 parties.

FG and FF formed a historic coalition together with the Green Party and part of the agreement is that the Taiosearch (equivalent of Prime Minister) would be rotated during the parliamentary term.

3 Likes

Today is Ivory Coast’s election night.

1 Like

More specifically it’s Parliamentary Elections for the Ivory Coast.

2 Likes

Thanks for explaining. Such an historic event that seems to have been bypassed by our media. Incredible. And is it working?

1 Like

It’s a little tense atm and there could be a snap election sooner rather than later

2 Likes
1 Like