International Politics (non-USA)

Well he held one of those today with a stupid new ‘Save America’ Slogan.

Yes America needs to be saved, saved from the insane orange fatso and his fascist supporters.

2 Likes

And it was even more unhinged than in the past. An irrelevancy but it needs to be covered so the people are reminded what threat to democracy he is. His lunatic cult followers hang on every word and the extreme right wingers could fuel further insurrection behaviors.

2 Likes

Today’s the 100th anniversary of everyone’s favourite (not) authoritarian party :wink:

Well what can we say about the 100 years. Economically, after a sluggish start for about the first 50 years credit must be given to them for opening up after the disaster that was Mao and allowing foreign investment and an open economy.

Socially however, not so much. Apart from working with the KMT to get rid of foreign nations invading the country, unfortunately it’s not been great. From the pathetic Great Leap Forward and the absolutely atrocious Cultural Revolution, to the Tiananmen Square massacre and messing with HK, Taiwan and the Uyghur Population it seems that they’ve lurched from one disaster to another. They were peaceful (for the most part) during the Jiang/Hu era but with Xi it seems like they want to return to the Mao days which is concerning.

Would love to see the country get back to the successes of the Jiang and Hu era.

Also just on a side note I really enjoy reading Stan Grant’s insights. He is fair and balanced in his approach, not like those idiots on Sky News who are clearly Anti-China with their ‘China will rule Australia’ BS and fails to consider different perspectives as to why they behave like that. They (along with other right-wing pundits) in the world are responsible for fuelling and exaggerating China’s looming powers and creating unnecessary fears in the minds of many.

5 Likes

The way I see it, the only real achievement CCP has made was to have elevated hundreds of millions of people out of poverty.

The right-wing pundits may have exaggerated things, but I agree with them: China is a threat to the liberal democracy and freedom that people had fought so hard for over the past 300 years or so, due to its total disregard of human rights and its unwillingness to solve even the smallest of social issues by accusing victims as “troublemakers” and sending them to jail.

China often says that Western nations of double standards when it comes to human rights issues, but it also has its own double standards with “United Front” - the many overseas Chinese organisations around the world pushing China’s interests and trying to force other countries to change their attitude and agenda towards China.

The Chinese Communist Party was founded 100 years ago by a group of young students who believed the 1911 revolution (led by Dr Sun Yat-Sen) did not go far enough, and felt China, which were dominated by foreign powers and warlords at the time, needed a complete change. Who would have thought that small organisation would become so dominant today.

I feel CCP is like Thanos in the Avengers comic. But unlike the Avengers, we don’t know how to stop it. That makes me worried about the post-COVID world.

1 Like

I feel like there needs to be a clear distinction between China and CCP. They’re not the same thing despite what many seem to think, which is a terrible misconception and it is a misconception used by right-wing pundits to pursue an almost racist rhetoric and portray the country as a negative influence to the world despite the fact that it’s the government that is doing all the hatchet job.

They weren’t a true threat until recent years. Back in the early days of the country (with the Great Leap Forward/Cultural Revolution) their influential was thankfully very small in the world. Then when they opened up economically they actually became a lot more liberal than before and they worked with a more cooperative approach with other countries whilst their power grew. Nowadays they want to go back to the Mao days-style authoritarian policies whilst having ever growing power, which is the real concerning thing.

If they were more progressive and cooperative in their foreign policies instead of their hardline patriotic approach would be use that allusion?

3 Likes

No, that allusion won’t change. I think CCP is power hungry and cares more about its own interest, rather than people living in China, and the concern from the wider world.

Whilst I don’t disagree I think the reason behind this motive needs to be considered too. Considering the country went through a period of civil conflicts and foreign invasion it’s perhaps understandable that they want some power to maintain sovereignty over their country and not to be under influence by foreign power. In the words of Stan Grant 100 years ago they underwent the ‘Great Humiliation’ which they’ve washed away over the many years which is why they want power because they want to appear capable and strong against foreign forces that used to invade and look down on them.

Having said that it doesn’t justify some of their approaches in history and recent times.

1 Like
2 Likes

What are peoples thoughts on the banning of tobacco in New Zealand?

Brexit leader destroyed over Djokovic video:

29 posts were split to a new topic: Russia and Ukraine Conflict

Good to see that right wing extremist Le Pen fail. She is horrendous in her anti-immigrant views and she doesn’t deserve anything.

1 Like

Im pretty sure SBS had live covreige of this, this morning via France 24 English version.

Quite scary though that the party received its highest vote ever.

Just goes to show that since Trump right wing extremists have been on the rise around the world. Idiots and unwashed Neanderthals who are a useless plight on society.

This Le Pen woman wants to ban the hijab because she thinks Muslims and immigrants are threatening her vision of the French identity. Then all those grubby links with the Russian banks and Vladimir Putin. Spare me with this load of rubbish.

1 Like

Maybe spare you. But it’s scary 43% of the population is sharing the same views… we currently live in a very scary world.

1 Like