HM Queen Elizabeth II (1926-2022) -- Funeral Coverage

The New Zealand Herald front page today:

May be an image of 2 people and text that says "Photo/AP Photp THE STATE FUNERAL OF QUFEN ELIZABETH II L The Let Zealand Ljerald Te Herora o Aotearoa 'WITH GRATITUDE WE REMEMBER. WITH ADMIRATION WE RECALL. WITH THANKSGIVING WE PRAISE.'"

2 Likes

this did seem a bit unusual. SBS doesn’t usually follow the pack when it comes to royal events or, as you say, it usually offers alternatives even if it is a doco about the royals, and as the 2nd national broadcaster it should be largely to complement ABC not compete with it as such. But I suppose the lure of covering such a massive event was too much to resist and if it was just tapping into the BBC coverage it probably didn’t cost that much, either.

3 Likes

That would make sense given the demographic of 3AW’s listenership

1 Like

Should’ve done this earlier, but who do we think won the ratings battle last night?

• Nine
  • Seven
  • ABC
  • SBS
  • Sky
  • 10 Bold

0 voters

1 Like

I was mainly watching Sky UK and BBC News

It was ABC.

1 Like

Expecting Nine, but hoping ABC. They had less useless drivel during the local coverage before the funeral.

You can only talk for so long before you need to find some kind of nonsense filler to keep talking.

Their “BBC” network.

Now that the funeral is over, it seems that ongoing discussion will gradually migrate to morning TV and revert to trivia, lip readers and body language experts for insights :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Huh? It was Seven?

I’m confused too… as other sites are also stating a Seven win.

The combined ABC + News Channel audience was over a million

4 Likes

The service at Windsor Castle was beautiful. So emotional when her casket was lowered into the vault. Tears all round I expect.

1 Like

And also quality wise.

KAK is that you??

1 Like

I called win for ABC’s coverage based on being number one in all time slots coded for its simulcast on ABC + ABC News. Seven won the night in network share it seems largely due to having a higher rating news.

Funeral
ABC Total 1,070,000
Seven 975,000
Nine 879,000
Late
ABC Total 629,000
Seven 525,000
Nine 332,000
Day
ABC Total 366,000
Seven 243,000
Nine 232,000

Seven and Nine had a coding for Procession that ABC didn’t.

Update - More numbers:

16 Likes

great breakdown… thank you

2 Likes

Update - just ran similar numbers for regionals where ABC won the Funeral, Late and Day codings - once again not all codings matched - but ABC was well clear in all.

1 Like

I don’t know about anyone else but this was defiantly the longest running time I’ve ever seen FTA go without running commercials.

3 Likes

What’s the point of sending her over then if she isn’t sticking around for the main event?

2 Likes