Hit Network

Until the PD forgot to renew the registration and the police forced some poor Casanova to leave it on the side of the road somewhere in Western Sydney.

No one - that’s the point. I don’t think there’s a breakfast show currently on air in Australia that could legitimately compete with K&J.

Maybe if you slid KTM into Sydney breakfast

1 Like

Jonesy and Amanda equalled them in the ratings last year.

2 Likes

Personally, I would not be overly surprised if 2DayFM has a slight improvement (although probably still having less listeners than KIIS, WSFM and Smooth) in their overall ratings once the results of Survey #3 are released. However I do think they’ll continue to struggle at breakfast for quite some time, possibly even until Kyle & Jackie O, Jonesy & Amanda and Fitzy & Wippa all call it a career.

Mind you, it does have to be said that newer breakfast radio presenting teams (especially in markets like Sydney) do take time to gain traction with listeners although knowing what 2DayFM breakfast has been like since 2014, I’m not sure if they’ve managed to get the balance quite right yet…

1 Like

I guess you could say that in Sydney you just simply don’t rate unless you’re a “heritage” breakfast show.

1 Like

Given their different target demo and the fact that they’re stablemates, they’re hardly competition.

Being around for a while certainly helps in Sydney but K&J went to #1 in sydney in like three surveys. If the content’s there, people will listen to it. Yes, K&J were known to the audience - but so were Dan & Maz.

Sydney is full of breakfast shows that are already ‘heritage’ - even Fitzy & Wippa have been on breakfast for like 5 years, which makes it much harder for a new show than say Melbourne where all the shows are new or nearly new anyway and so there’s potentially more flicking around and ‘trialling’. Not to mention Melbourne has no real juggernaut show like K&J (and when they did with Matt & Jo on Fox, it took other shows a little while to bed into the market).

But at the end of the day, if the content is good, people will listen to it. K&J’s content is at the very least very real - they don’t hold back, they’re not afraid to take risks, and they say what they think - which I can’t say for many other shows on Australian radio.

3 Likes

So you’re selectively picking what is or isn’t competition now. What rot!

What’s your problem? Jonesy & Amanda are a good show with good ratings. They don’t compete against Kyle & Jackie O any more than Bogart Torelli competes against Fitzy & Wippa.

They target completely different demos and work for the same company.

2 Likes

Tanya Hennessy to host national Weekend Breakfast, 7-9am Saturday and Sunday. Does that mean local is out?

3 Likes

Although different radio stations would be aimed at different demographics I’m pretty sure they’re all competing for listeners. Really, Sydney’s overall #1 breakfast program isn’t even on FM radio…

2 Likes

Your constant spruiking of Kyle and Jackie O and KIIS. We get it. You love them.

Ratings are measured across all the radio stations who subscribe to them. If you ignore other ratings then you might as well ignore their ratings too. You can’t pick and choose who their competition is.

3 Likes

I do neither. What I don’t tend to indulge in is bashing for the sake of it. I don’t work for any radio network and am not affiliated with any, so don’t take any pleasure in bashing another network’s shows.

I am a fan of radio though - feel free to look through my post history, you’ll find me openly saying I’m not a fan of the Kyle & Jackie O show personally but I can recognise when a show is good, and when a show resonates; that is to say I understand why they are #1.

You don’t have to like them, to be honest I couldn’t care less what you or anyone thinks. I’m merely stating my own opinion. I’m not a big fan of any major metro breakfast show to be 100% honest, though I tend to listen to a fair few of them.

I’m also not particularly old, and prefer to keep perspective about shows, stations and radio in general, rather than resorting to bashing one show, station or network because I work for the competition or am too old to enjoy modern radio and pine for the ‘good ol days’.

I’m not ignoring ratings at all. I’m saying K&J aren’t in direct competition with Jonesy & Amanda. Their audience is different. K&J aren’t in competition with Bogart Torelli either, even though KIIS itself might be in competition with Smooth in terms of #1 FM.

Of course, and they all do so in different ways and by appealing to different demographics.

True, although if you look at the numbers, it’s only #1 due to over-representation in the over-55 demographic.

That’s my point. K&J aren’t really in competition with Ray Hadley either.

The fact of the matter is you can’t reasonably compete with everyone - just as 2DAY seem to have given up competing with K&J for the moment. You can’t be all things to all people, so you need to pick where your battlefronts are. K&J’s battlefront isn’t the older demographic.

1 Like

Well, then you could use the same argument to say that 2Day FM are not their target audience any more either because their playlist has changed and they are closer aligned to Smooth and 2WS for most of the day.

If we start doing that with the way the industry is fracturing, then you will eliminate all competition. It’s a stupid argument.

2 Likes

2DAY certainly seem to be attempting to shift their demo older and compete in that older battleground. I don’t think it will work as well as they might hope.

My point is K&J aren’t competing against Jonesy & Amanda any more than 2DAY breakfast is competing against the Grill Team.

Yes, sure they’re all technically competing against each other, but SCA don’t want 2DAY breakfast pulling audience from MMM and vice versa. Not to mention the fact that MMM is very ‘bloke’-oriented whereas 2DAY is very female-skewed. They’re not really in competition with each other, except from an ego ‘who’s got the better ratings’ perspective. ARN still has the #1 and #2 FM breakfast shows in Sydney, regardless of which way they fall each survey.

ARN don’t want K&J pulling audience from J&A. They want them pulling audience from Fitzy & Wippa, 2DAY breakfast and Ben & Liam.

You’ll notice that there doesn’t exist a radio network where they have two main metro stations that directly compete against each other…

1 Like

Just because they target different audiences, doesn’t mean they aren’t competing against each other. When it all comes down to it they’re all competing for the same advertising dollar and nobody want to lose their share.

3 Likes

As above: ARN have the #1 & #2 FM breakfast shows in Sydney. Sure they may fluctuate as to which is which, but from a ratings and revenue point of view they shouldn’t be competing with each other. ARN want WS pulling audience from Smooth and KIIS pulling audience from Nova. They don’t want them pulling audience from each other.

Kyle may want to be #1 for his own ego, but from a management perspective, KIIS and WS wouldn’t be in competition with each other, which is why the two stations run different formats in the first place.

3 Likes

It would appear so. The local weekend breakfast shows didn’t work last year - Heidi & Xavier in Perth and Those Two Girls in Brisbane were the only shows that lastest the year. Ryan & Tanya in Sydney and Will & Woody in Melbourne quietly got pulled almost without anyone noticing. I can’t even remember who did the Adelaide show.

She talks about the show being filmed so it sounds like it will come out of Sydney, but I wouldn’t surprised if she sometimes hosts from Newcastle and Sydney. I believe she’s currently living in Newcastle where her family is, and she’s Melbourne reasonably often.

I doubt she’d be doing national weekend breakfast from Hit 106.9, then again I could be wrong. @MarkHD would most likely be able to confirm this.

It’s hard work and a well resourced team that works hard that secures their #1. Ross & John in Melb do the same, working hard and taking risks in different ways for their very different audience.

Not on FM they don’t, but see above.

This is a come down from a 5 day a week b’fast gig, how will she fill the other five days of the week?

1 Like

I’ll ask around.

Obviously Newcastle now has network send facilities (Australia By Night on Triple M is sent from Newcastle) and it’s no secret our people would love to do more national stuff from our studios.

Tanya is a Hunter girl done good. She’s been working quite a bit out of 2Day recently, so she may just stick to doing it down there.

2 Likes