Hit Network

Which are a copy of the 90’s/00’s 2dayFM Black Thunders. I didn’t realize KIIS made such a blatant rip off, they could have at least not used the word thunder in the name.

2 Likes

I remember visiting Adelaide in the 90s. One station had Black Thunders and another station promoted their White Lightenings.

2 Likes

2DAY is sounding very much like a station from the 90s in many ways, from the promotions, music, positioning etc.

Even the voiceovers have a hint of Ray McGregor about them, and I reckon that is a good thing.

4 Likes

You could have said the same thing about 2DAY circa 2013…

And then K&J were taken away from the 2DAY brand and they had nothing…

K&J are the reason ARN are the most profitable radio network though, so I’d imagine ARN will ride it out with them as long as they have to.

Heh, I only just realised that Thunderbirds is a rip-off of Black Thunders…
I thought the Black Thunders were Toyotas though - I don’t really see why 2DAY need to use the exact same model of car and the exact same colours as KIIS… I assume they’re going for c onsumer confusion

It’s the other way around.

2Day had the Jeep Black Thunders. ARN had Hyundai’s.

When the KIIS relaunch occurred ARN immediately purchased the same model promo vehicles as 2Day.

KIIS hit 2Day where it hurt. Now with 2Day’s relaunch it seems they’re hitting KIIS where it hurts (ie poaching H&K, changing the music to win over older ex-Mix audience, and making noise in the Sydney market by breaking the network mould which is something neither KIIS nor Nova have to the confidence to do).

6 Likes

Jeeps have been part of the Hit branding from the start. When the hit branding was launched in each of Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Canberra, Hobart, Gold Coast and Newcastle the “Hit Squad” was launched with the Jeeps. (Sea FM Gold Coast and Hobart already had Jeeps before the rebrand).

Adelaide was the first station to launch at Hit in October 2014, bringing with them Jeeps.

Sydney (and other metros) followed suit in January 2015.
The 3 2Day FM Jeeps were first registered in early January 2015. These are the same Jeeps that have been rebranded to the Black Thunders.

KIIS 1065 has 2 Jeeps, which were first registered in a December 2014, but were not launched until January. KIIS 101.1 and Gold also got a Jeep each at the same time.

If anyone copied anyone, KIIS were copying Hit Adelaide, possibly predicting that the other stations would follow, which they did.

Nova 96.9 also had a Jeep in 2015 or 2016.

3 Likes

Non stop fresh hits. Simple and effective positioning.

2Day FM are referring to themselves as “The Original”.

1 Like

It’s kind of ironic really, Triple M used that positioner when 2DAY targeted them with their “Good Times And Great Rock And Roll” format in the early 90s.

NEW FM also used it around that time too.

1 Like

have been since the change.

Again in the office last week discussing it and the overwhelming feedback was extremely positive, so it will be interesting what March 13 brings.

4 Likes

Who else would quietly love to see the rise of 2Day again?

7 Likes

If it’s a rise it’ll be a pretty slow one.

3 Likes

Listening to Game Changers podcast with Craig Bruce and Kyle Sandilands… interesting listen, especially to remember that 2DAY were in essentially the same position in 2006 as they are now. Losing majorly to a new player (Nova at the time) and a 3ish% share. Took somewhat of a gamble on K&J and shot to #1 within about 3 months.

K&J are probably more formidable than Merrick & Rosso were, but it’s interesting to see the parallels…

I personally think it matters little what 2DAY do with their music. As it is, they may steal a little share here and there and boost their ratings a little. They need to go back to taking risks. There’s no reason they couldn’t have a breakfast show that beats fitzy & Wippa at least. But they won’t do it with Em, Ed & Grant.

5 Likes

Sure. But not until the current programming management is turfed.

Lots of deadwood, mates of mates accumulated over decades that need a good broom and for their next chapter can buy themselves a job with the redundancy, say a franchise from Janine and Jeff.

You can say, ‘that’s radio’, it is, however the employment culture has obstructed and protected positive progress.

Paul Thompson built DMG, wiped the slate, chose the best team, not the chums, not the in market poaching, just got on with. Their share began as zero, they made a success of it. 2DAY hasn’t been at zero since they bungled K&J, so get on with it.

As with the rise of DMG, SCA won’t admit they need to change. Denial among programming execs supported by management and the board not only shuts them out of success, but also the bottom line and hurts shareholders.

1 Like

Not quite right, Wendy’s show was nearing the end of its life. K&J had many more years in the tank when they went to ARN and still do. Different cycle of bfast shows, Wendy’s show was vulnerable if it went, no big loss, opposite for K&J.

It was only 2DAY and Nova with similar formats. Kiis/Mix not in the picture. Less direct competition.

Beyond 9am, 2DAY very different in the early 2000’s, live middawn, live late night, live almost the whole grid of the week. Do you remember the good years of FM Drive between Martin Molloy and H&A?

Being live all those hours, 2DAY were developing talent, K&J were two of them. Arrived at the station on nights. 2DAY had been developing talent on nights for years, successively and successfully. K&J, Ugly Phil, David Rymer and those before. Culture was good then.

Enter DMG to occupy 2DAY’s time. Focus shifted to b’fast to the detriment of the talent development. Eventually, piped in talent from FOX to fill drive, switched on the computer for what they then considered non essential shifts.

No risk taking as they’re not developing talent.

Grant Blackley talks so highly of radio, what a difference it is owning the IP to the programming than TV but he doesn’t deliver. Annual reports show no genuine increase in staff costs and we know the program grid remains unchanged.

What does 2DAY late nights? A development show from Brisbane. Not even the best one that’s come out of 105 either.

No risk taking going on here.

1 Like

Yeah, different time, different circumstances etc. but still plenty of parallels.

Personally, I think K&J are #1 because they’re the only show and only station willing to take a risk in Sydney breakfast - of course it’s already proven to work so they’re in a good position, but man. Get a good team in and let them be themselves. Take a risk.

1 Like

Fitzy & Wippa are the only real competition for Kyle & Jackie O in Sydney.

What do you mean live? How are they not “live” now?

Not even close. Fitzy & Wippa are way too safe and homogenised to ever seriously compete with K&J.

They’re a decent show but they’re no K&J killer, not by a long shot

3 Likes

Then who would be competition for Kyle & Jackie O? It’s certainly not Em, Grant & Ed that’s for sure.