Hit Network

Why do they have to change the name? Wouldn’t it be even more disconnect for listeners?

To relaunch it and treat it as a new to Sydney radio station. Like how Mix turned to KIIS. Give the audience the illusion it’s a fresh new radio station.

1 Like

and unlike Fox FM, it’s traditional brand isn’t doing much for it anymore.

4 Likes

I don’t think that the case and I have my doubts that just changing the name to Hit will fix all their problems.

Just ride out the wave until K&J hang up the headphones then it’ll be a level playing field.

Same with the AM stations once Jones moves on.

Years from now it’ll be a more balanced playing field. At the moment you’re either with Jones or Kyle.

I think there is room for a station in Sydney that sticks to the more mainstream Top 40 hits of the past decade. Cut out the rap and drop the more extreme R&B.

In Los Angeles MyFM (KBIG) has done exactly that. Stuck to the more poppy tunes and now it rates as the city’s No.1 radio station – out rating long term leader KIIS.

1 Like

Is that not KIIS right now though?

1 Like

IMO the issue isn’t only about 3 stations playing the same music format, however, the issue is when 3 stations play the same sounding breakfast show.

Tip for Hit and Nova: Don’t be Kyle and Jackie O. Stand for something and the music will find its place.

Nova doesn’t try to be like KIIS at breakfast. Fitzy and Wippa are very different. The same same music is the problem though.

I use Radio App and when I hate the song I flick stations. The amount of times Nova, KIIS or 2Day are playing the exact same song, at exactly the same time, has become ridiculous.Too much Top 20 repetition from these stations.

2 Likes

I think there are a few different possibilities for networked afternoon/drive shows for the network. If the Bachelorette doesn’t fail don’t be surprised if they give Matt Acton & Sophie Monk a shot (the chemistry is there from the KIIS Summer Breakfast), also the possibility of an Abby Coleman and Ed Kavalee show with either being networked from Brisbane.

Either was I do not think we will see Osher return to breakfast in Brisbane in 2018.

2 Likes

Is Em and Harley still produced from Melbourne?

Yep, still produced in Melbourne

They aren’t always in the same studio though. Em is sometimes in Sydney.

Not often though. She says on air that she alternates weeks between Melbourne and Sydney, but in reality it’s far less frequent than that.

The show is jointly produced between Melbourne and Sydney though.
In Sydney they have at least 3 staff - Executive Producer, panel op and phone op.
In Melbourne they have at least 7 people - obviously Em and Harley, as well as panel op, audio producer, social media and at least 2 producers.

If you follow Em on social media you will see that she is 99% at home in Melbourne, in fact her trips to Sydney seem to only really be when she has other work.

1 Like

What she said makes sense though, why uproot their families if the show doesn’t end up working. And it’s not like it matters, other cities get Sydney made content all the time.

1 Like

I don’t see it making that bigger difference.

Kyle would regularly broadcast from L.A. for 2DayFM when his wife was based in the U.S.A. I am pretty sure Kate, Tim & Marty broadcast from 2 different studios. Osher broadcasts from his home in Bondi for Hit105. I don’t think it really affects audience engagement, in some ways it may provide an advantage of being able to get different in studio guests to those in Sydney.

1 Like

Yes Marty is at Nova 100 while Kate and Tim are at Nova 969.

2 Likes

& it works seamlessly. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately for Hit105 when Abby Coleman is in Melbourne filming HYBPA she does the show from Melbourne and it is noticeable as there is no conversational flow.

Ed Kavlee filled in for Tommy on Carrie & Tommy yesterday, a little unusual a MMM talent on Hit network?

1 Like