Hit Network

First look at 2Day’s new outdoor advertising from Em’s Instagram:

https://instagram.com/p/BVGXSr3lr3k/

3 Likes

Meidaspy survey: Four years ago if 2DayFM had decided on one of the following breakfast shows – and stuck with them – who do you think would have rated the highest by now?

• Merrick, Jules, Sophie and Mel (insert letter)
  • Dan and Maz
  • Rove and Sam
  • Em and Harley

Which team had the most potential to build an audience over a four year period?

My vote would be Dan and Maz. I bagged them at the time but the other three shows had / have issues. Merrick and Co was three hours of clutter. Sam had no personality and Rove was not funny. And Em………well…….

I reckon given a few years Dan and Maz would have found their feet. Mind you – it’s the chopping and changing that has done the most damage (as well as the forced “fun” and “laughter” that each of the show’s audience is made to endure).

2 Likes

If the 2014 show was just Sophie & Jules, I think it might’ve had potential to build an audience if SCA gave them enough time and allowed the presenters to be themselves on-air. Dan & Maz also might’ve worked if 2DayFM allowed them enough time, allowed the two to be themselves on-air and didn’t have early promotional material which made them look like Triple M presenters.

2 Likes

Would Osher work as part of Em’s show? He lives in Sydney and the Brisbane show is crowded as it is.

Have to agree with SydneyCityTV, I reckon a duo of Sophie & Jules would’ve done well had they persisted with them after Mel B left and they shifted Merrick back to Triple M. They’re both talented personalities and have a great on-air and off-air friendship.

1 Like

And Sophie has the tabloids following her - lots of free publicity. Plus - unlike Sam, Mel B, Rove, Em and Merrick - she is funny in a really raw way. Sophie has some star power and this could better rival Kyle and Jackie O.

Sophie and Jules. Better still - Jules and Sophie O.

I get it. I reckon it very well may have worked.

Possibly Dan & Maz, but I think the issue with 2DAY breakfast is not necessarily the talent, and more so the forced nature of it.

Kyle & Jackie O sound very genuine, and Kyle Is popular because he’s genuine and says what he thinks and not what the company wants him to say.

Forced fun will never work.

I think some sort of combination of Sophie Monk, Ed Kavalee/Dan Anstey/Byron Cooke, Heather Maltman, Kristie Mercer, Labby, Stav et al…

SCA had and have some real talent across their network, but it seems they’d prefer to gamble with relative unknowns/less experienced broadcasters for the sake of profile…

4 Likes

Regarding the new advertising for Em and Harley… I’m speechless. It really doesn’t do the show any favours. Way too ‘out there’ and loud. It just doesn’t suit the Hit image. Why can’t Hit get it right and provide us with a show like Melbourne and Brisbane for example? When I think of Fifi, Dave, Fev and Byron I can’t believe that show comes from the same company as Em and Harley.

1 Like

I noticed the branding has changed to ‘Em & Harley’ or ‘Em Rusiciano with Harley Breen’ depending on the context.

2 Likes

Good. Em Rusciano with Harley Breen just sounded awkward

Dan and Maz, without a doubt.

6 Likes

I agree about Dan and Maz. They should have stuck with them.

6 Likes

With Hamish and Andy finishing up this year, next year is the time for 2Day FM! Start again! Spend the summer with an advertising blitz promoting the new 2Day FM.

If they can get Fitzy and Wippa on breakfast it would be a good start. It’s no secret Fitzy (more so) has issues with Nova’s playlists I believe they could be persuaded over.

6am- 9am Fitzy, Wippa and Sarah
9-12pm MC
12-3pm Jaben
3-4pm Rove and Sam
4-7pm Carrie and Tommy
7-10pm Ash London Live
10-11pm Collective Noun

I strongly believe Carrie can be convinced to do drive and Fitzy, Wippa and Sarah are ready to make the move.

Issues with a playlist is not a reason for a breakfast team to come over.
Fitzy & Wippa are a good show, but I don’t think it’s a very good move for 2DAY to poach them, unless they put them on drive. Fitzy and Wippa shined on drive and given enough rope (I.e. Not having producers and suits dictating nearly every word) would be stiff competition againsy KTM and HK.

Get a couple really good announcers on 2DAY breakfast that can have fun, and run a ‘more music’ style breakfast show and that could be a winner - look at smooth’s ratings and their breakfast show… would certainly be cheaper than the multi-million dollar dice roll every 12 months…

1 Like

Sonder is now producing Carrie & Tommy. I’d say this increases the chances of Carrie & Tommy moving to drive next year. While they might not have made up their mind fully, this move would definitely indicate there’s a possibility. You don’t move the executive producer of a show that’s ratings well on your best station to a show in a second-rate slot that barely rates a mention just for the fun of it.

1 Like

My best mate in the world is 44 years old. He only listens to two stations in Sydney - 702 and smooth. He’s an executive and earns a darn good income.

We were just at Bondi Junction railway station and he saw one of the new poster ads for Em and Harley. It has glitter on the big “H” and Em is wearing quite striking makeup.

He said “I might give 2DayFM a listen”. I asked why and he had made that comment. He said it was because of the ad as he thought the station was now focused on music from the 70s and 80s.

Classic.

8 Likes

I found this pic on hit107’s Instagram story.
It looks like they’re currently running both Maestro (right screens) and Zetta (left screens). Obviously part of the migration process across to Zetta. I’ve seen these screens in there stories for a few weeks now but haven’t noticed them turned on before now.

1 Like

I can confirm SCA Perth hasn’t yet begun the transition to Zetta, but people tell me it will be in the next month or so.

1 Like

Is it just me or do the new Em and Harley posters look like they are advertisements for a Darlinghurst brothel?

2 Likes

Just you. Have you been to a Darlinghurst brothel? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I was young, with huge HECS debts…I needed the cash.

From what I remember there was a lot of pink, black, makeup and glitter. But no big “H”.

2 Likes