Hit Network

Mix94.5 used the “More Music, More Variety” positioner back in 2001/2002.

2 Likes

I am in amazement that when you go to listen online to 2DayFM through their website you now need to create an account with LSiNEr - this involves passwords etc. Why would they make it more difficult to listen to a station? I know that it’s to increase engagement with lIStEnR, but I do not need another password etc on my laptop or phone.

And…
Before I was cut off as I am not signed up to LIStenER, I heard this in between songs on 2DayFM.

Voiceover: How does 2DayFM make your day a better today?
Faux Listener comment: “It means I sing and I dance - I don’t care who’s watching”

Lame.

5 Likes

Re-directs you to this page

2 Likes

That is it - sign up or you don’t hear the music.

I chose the latter.

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s annoying having to sign up for everything.

7 Likes

Especially considering iHeart doesn’t make you sign up

7 Likes

Agree. So over signing up for stuff like this.

6 Likes

And this is where you kinda see why Mike E & Emma shouldve been made presenters of 2Day Breakfast rather than a digital-only station. Not everyone is gonna go out of their way to get a DAB head unit installed in their car nor bother to sign into an app and Bluetooth their phone every morning.

Not to mention the addition of Blender Beats to DAB - I reckon SCA should bring a combo of Blender Beats, and RnB Fridays Radio and have Mike E & Emma on a 104.1 that is separated from Hit and allows for disenchanted Edge listeners to switch over to.

4 Likes

10000% agree here.

If SCA did that, you watch ARN push CADA back to its previous Edge music format.

It has been said many times:

• Mike E & Emma at breakfast
  • CHR format across the day
  • PROPER RnB Fridays
  • Hot Nights as is
  • Blender Beats every Friday & Saturday night, along with mashups during the week.

They’ll be like KIIS, but less “poppy” (and skew younger given Kyle is 50) and like Nova but less UK-clone.

4 Likes

Me: I would like to listen to your radio station

2DayFM: Can we have your name, date of birth, gender and postcode? We also need a password. Can we also sign you up to the LIstEnEr email? Can you also tell us more information about yourself? In particular whether you are into gaming, wellness or sport. And what sort of music do you like listening to?

Dead set - that is the sign up procedure. I just went through 90% of the information harvesting process. I just wanted to listen to music- not open a frikken bank account.

LiSTEneR can get sTuFfED

10 Likes

what makes it worse, is that it seems that 2Day has disappeared from TuneIn too (other than the breakfast broadcasts, and a 2DayFM in the USA thats probably rating better) - jesus christ…

5 Likes

Is he the DJ?

2 Likes

The Hit stations are still on RadioApp so that’s good.

But locking audio away on platforms is such a step backwards. One of the best parts of audio content is that almost all content was available everywhere. After locking away exclusive podcasts and now radio stations it’s clear that SCA isn’t interested in competing in the audio industry, they’re interested in finding ways to force you into their service.

4 Likes

I think I’ve mentioned before how smart Absolute Radio in the UK are about getting you to register - they replace one ad break (at least) an hour with another song - which I think they easily make up by the fact they can substitute targeted ads in the other slots.

Regular users can just listen, and get promos for signing up, but there’s at least something coming back in exchange for your data.

3 Likes

I don’t like the targeted ads either - I’d rather hear the station as it goes to air terrestrially … I understand why they do it, but it kind of ruins the experience for me.

3 Likes

as ive said before, SCA scan the FM dial and see those stations as there competitors. they are forgetting i have hundreds of thousands of stations at my fingertips now.

if i try to stream 2day and find i can’t, i don’t register, i go elsewhere. Elsewhere could be another station, could be a podcast or an audiobook.

2 Likes

Privacy changes mean that it’s now harder to personalise advertisements based on other web activity (Apple killed IDFA and added a toggle for reducing tracking/third party cookies, Google is going to phase out third party cookies).

Ads that aren’t targeted in this way are worth way less. Facebook says it lost $10b because of these Apple changes. For a company like SCA, you want to show that the digital side / LiSTNR is making its own money that’s separate from regular radio ad revenue.

If users create an account though you can gather data on users and link it in partnership with other companies and still personalise ads.

2 Likes

Not quite: KKJK-FM was ranked 11th in the Grand Island-Kearney market in the Spring 22 survey.

2 Likes