HD Broadcasting

I thought 10 might have included a HD watermark add on (at least temporarily) so that the change was a bit more evident.

1 Like

Great news good to see 10Bold in HD finally. Better late than never.

5 Likes

Given that 10 is now the first network to completely move one of their first multichannels to MPEG4-only, perhaps we might see 10Peach go MPEG4 soon too?

4 Likes

Yeah, an advance notice would have been nice.

I’m sure 10 (and others) will watch an impact on the ratings which will be the ultimate test. Will post the numbers in a few minutes.

11 Likes

Encouraging start

9 Likes

Lets hope there is little impact in its ratings long term and the other networks follow along.

5 Likes

I hope so, but I think SBS and 10 have only done this because they can still technically offer MPEG-2 viewers a minimum 3 SD channels. If they didn’t have Shake they probably would have done a simulcast.

6 Likes

The guy on the plane is so shocked that it’s happening!!

4 Likes

First channel to ditch SD completely and go HD

2 Likes

That would be Viceland.

11 Likes

Really hope it’s not just for the football and it goes back to MPEG-2 once the season is over. If this shows no drop in ratings, 7 and 9 should strongly consider doing the same - perhaps 7flix and 9Rush to begin with.

7 Likes

So now SBS, 9, 7, and 10 have switched a multichannel to HD.

ABC, we’re looking at you.

5 Likes

Don’t think the ABC wants to change that, they want as many viewers watch programs as possible on as my tv sets as possible.

1 Like

Ideally the ABC would add ABC HDTV HD Plus HD ABC TV Plus HD as a multichannel, with it being full time an ‘ABC TV Plus’ channel, and then allow the SD channel to have more of the day as ABC Kids - with it eventually resulting in a full time ABC Kids channel, and a HD only full time TV Plus channel.

Perhaps right now that’d mean the normal ABC TV daytime schedule could move to TV Plus HD while the never ending news pre-emptions happen.

4 Likes

In deciding to switch a multichannel to HD, the commercial networks have all opted for the multichannel which has previously been available in HD (albeit in previous branding incarnations with some cases): 7mate, 9Gem, 10 BOLD.

To me it’s pretty obvious that the first multichannel the ABC will upgrade to HD will be the News Channel, especially now it’s actually being produced in native High Definition.

9 Likes

SBS?

The ratings may even go up, eventually (I avoid SD channels on my UHD [4k] TV, but I’m not exactly representative of the overall TV viewing audience).

The networks’ issue isn’t really about HD vs SD, it’s MPEG-4 vs MPEG-2, so yes I imagine ABC News channel could go MPEG-4 HD without losing many viewers.

But when will the regional affiliates match the HD switch the metros have done?

Still no 7mateHD from Prime and 9GEM is still SD via WIN, so I’m not holding my breath for SCA to switch 10Bold to HD.

3 Likes

ABC News is 480p on YouTube.

Isn’t the ABC News channel iView stream at least 720p?

2 Likes

Yes, I completely forgot about Vineland :slight_smile: Second in this case :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like