HD Broadcasting

News Breakfast is spruiking a new, big set, but it looks like we still only get to see it in SD on their HD channel.

$90 million upgrade well spent ABC

These people spent 8 weeks making Facebook videos about their big amazing new HD studio - and literally nothing has changed

EP said it would be in HD on Facebook live

Wasn’t the EP. And it is in SD. As predicted.

Well I posted in this thread a few weeks back about WIN doing this in SA and Griffith/MIA and really its the same thing that could apply to SC GTS/BKN

Why can’t they just, instead of having GEM and 7MATE in HD, put NINE and SEVEN in MPEG2 HD and have those other channels downgraded to SD?

Only reasons I can think of that may not allow this:

• A very small group of viewers who still do not have a minimum of MPEG2 HD compatible equipment would not be able to view the main channels, as there would be no second SD channel of the main channels if they were moved to HD in this way
  • Different markets. I don’t know how SC GTS/BKN works but I’m presuming its like WIN where they have two different markets, Riverland and Mount Gambier. There are two feeds for each of the main channels for local ads, but all the other multichannels are one statewide feed
  • It would ‘break’ the numbering order of HD channels:
  • ABC HD is on 20
  • SBS HD is on 30
  • WIN GEM HD / SC ONE HD is on 50
  • WIN / SC 7MATE is on 60
  • WIN HD / SC GEM HD is on 80
1 Like

Yes, there are two markets for GTS/BKN, Port Lincoln and Broken Hill, Whyalla and Port Pirie.

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: Seven HD

[quote=“EyewitnessTV, post:1170, topic:279, full:true”]
In case anyone was wondering, I have been told that Southern Cross are set to make an announcement in regards to their main channel HD offering very soon.
[/quote]This has been confirmed now as launching just in time for the 2017 AFL season on Thursday March 23rd. :+1:

New channeling listing:

SCTV SD: Ch.6/61
SCTV HD: Ch.60
7TWO: Ch.62
7mate: Ch.63
Racing.com: Ch.68

8 Likes

Fantastic to see Southern Cross launching their main channel HD service even before some of Seven’s O&O stations have. :+1:

7 Likes

Too bad they don’t rebrand the multi-channels as SC TWO and SCmate with the star in place of the 7.

I think 7mate is bogan enough without Southern Cross in the name too. :joy:

9 Likes

Wrong way around.
SCA have said they’re primarily a radio company, and have shown they don’t care about having their own TV brand (Nine & Ten in NSW/Vic/Qld), so it’d sooner expect them to rebrand the main channel to SC7 or just 7 instead.

I’m surprised that they haven’t already rebranded SCTV to just Seven, following the Nine and Ten branding everywhere else. They’ve proven with their Nine stations that all they have to do is nothing and they’ll still get great ratings.

Brand loyalty probably has a lot to do with it (look at how slow the ‘NBN → 9NBN → Nine’ transition has been), especially in high-rating Tasmania.

Possibly that and the fact that they have their own news services in Tas and on GTS/BKN. Not sure they’d want to go and produce a bulletin under the 7 News brand, or if 7 would let them.

1 Like

Of course Seven would let them; they pay to be an affiliate, it gets their brand out there a bit more, and SCA are already allowed to use the 7 brand (as they do not only with 7TWO & 7bogan channels but they also put the 7 logo on during sport).

2 Likes

It’s one thing to allow someone to use your brand when they’re broadcasting exactly the same thing as you, except ads.

It’s another when you’re producing your content and using someone else’s brand.

2 Likes

This probably should be in another (news) thread, but…
We’re not talking about something offensive being broadcast, and look at the presentation quality of 7News compared to some of their metro competition; it isn’t exactly a thing of beauty.
If SC News rebranded to 7News (at which time I’d hope they’d finally refresh their on-air presentation to match 7’s current presentation), overall I don’t think it’d be any worse than Prime7 News looks now (oh the red!), nor the low quality of the regional 9News bulletins (at least when they first went to air in Sthn NSW, and they’re made by Nine themselves!), and finally there isn’t exactly a large overlap of viewers who would suddenly think less of Seven/their brand/etc. and so stop watching Seven’s programming, sell their shares…what else?

2 Likes

An uncorroborated post on AV Forum says that Prime7 has some HD programming on LCN 60 in Canberra area.

"The picture quality of the national news program was in HD quality. "

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?/topic/225809-prime7-canberra-has-hd-on-channel-60/

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not correct. That user is known for not being too interested in facts so it’s just as likely that the news had good picture quality for SD tonight.

Agreed

I thought it’d be BS but checked anyway, 7mate is 1080i, the rest of Prime7’s LCNs are 576i. No change.

7 Likes