Gruen

It will be back in 2018.

Gruen - Season 10

From Wednesday 2 May at 8:30pm

Gruen, the show that unpicks the dark arts of advertising, branding and spin, is back for its 10th season.

We are drowning in more marketing than ever. People are now brands, while brands pretend to be people. We’re living in a world where celebrities are ‘influencers’, influencers are celebrities, and words like ‘influencer’ have lost all meaning. Whether you’re guiltily watching your favourite reality telly show, trawling Gumtree for a second-hand stereo, or checking the weather on the BOM website - you can’t avoid advertising. The only defence is understanding how it all works.

Enter host Wil Anderson, Russel Howcroft, Todd Sampson and a trusty team of advertising experts, including Dee Madigan and Claire Salvetti. The weekly topical series will cast a steely eye over new marketing terrain and any PR disasters unlucky enough to erupt during the course of the season.

Gruen will expose the brilliant, bad and downright mediocre of advertising and spin and continue to throw impossible, challenging briefs to willing agencies in The Pitch. Join us as we sneak ads onto the ABC and call bullshit on brands pretending they’re just like us.

1 Like

This week on Gruen:

Wil, Todd, Russel and guest panellists, Kimberlee Wells and Claire Salvatti discuss:
Facebook’s new ad campaign - a company in crisis and the evolution of Brand Zuckerberg.
Plus, selling Australia to the USA. We follow up on Tourism Australia’s Dundee reboot.
And a ‘Pitch’ to shut down the internet.

1 Like

Saw a promo after Mad As Hell that a new season of Gruen will start on Wednesday 25th September.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Gruen Season 11 from Wednesday 25 September at 8:30pm.

Gruen XL (extended version) airs on ABC COMEDY from Friday 27 September at 8.30pm

Gruen, the show that tracks advertising almost as closely as advertising tracks you, returns soon for an all new season.

Wil Anderson is back in the hosting seat, joined by a crack team of experts who will reveal industry secrets and watch every single ad so you don’t have to. The lineup includes Todd Sampson, Russel Howcroft, Dee Madigan, Claire Salvetti, Christina Aventi, Karen Ferry and some fresh faces.

The AACTA, Logie and Colorectal Surgical Society award- winning team will dig deep into the wild and weird world of brands in 2019. This year we’ve already seen Instagram influencers stripped of their influence, Gillette abandon masculinity only to embrace it again, and supermarkets ditch plastic shortly before enticing kids to collect Ooshies.

Join the Gruen team as they run a finely-honed bullshit detector over everything that happens next.

2 Likes
1 Like

Tickets available to be in studio audience

1 Like

First episode is already sold out.

1 Like
2 Likes

Was about to post about this, it looks like a badly dubbed movie.

Quite irritating to watch actually.

1 Like

Also a big editing error during The Pitch. As they’re revealing the picks for the best advert, one of cutaways of the ad agency reps (after Russell gave his verdict), showed the lady on the left with the award already in her lap. lol. :rofl:

2 Likes
2 Likes

The payout error didn’t seem to affect the ratings. I watched my recording on double speed and the synch problem wasn’t as noticable :slight_smile:

Poor quality control for this to slip through.

https://twitter.com/GruenHQ/status/1177007398638088192?s=20

1 Like

Series 11 final is Wednesday 27 November

1 Like

ABC Upfronts 2020

Gruen will return with Series 12 in 2020

1 Like

I’m going to a taping next week. Anyone ever been? What’s it like?

1 Like

So I went to the taping tonight. Was quite fun, would highly recommend anyone who watches to go some time.

I got a shit seat - certainly the worst in the entire studio (up front way off to the right - I could only see Todd!), but it was a good experience.

Russel came down to the front of the set and said hi to each of us as we were leaving the set at the end, which I thought was nice of him.

Because I had such a terrible seat, I was pretty much glued to the big monitor which was right in front of me.

For the most part, the flow of the show played out exactly as it did on TV, though The Pitch was recorded after all other segments because it’s on a different part of the stage. Wil had to stop once or twice after flubbing a line.

Tomorrow there’ll be a segment focusing on a controversial TV ad - there were two uncomfortable moments - one of the panelists was on the verge of tears (for good reason, too) and there was quite a heated debate about the ad. I reckon these will be heavily edited to improve the flow of the show.

3 Likes

I went to another recording of Gruen last night, to make up for the terrible seat I was allocated last time. This time I got an awesome view of the set. Here’s a pic I took after the end of the show

The taping lasted a long time, and apparently the ABC has approved a 35 minute (5 extra mins) running time for tonight’s ep because of it.

I suspect this is partially to do with a special segment at the end of the show involving one of the series’ running gags, which went on for a couple of minutes…

They always have longer running episodes online.