Great songs heard on radio

Heard on Rebel FM yesterday around 4pm AEDT: The Cosmic Psychos “Nice Day to Go to the Pub”. Rare to hear the Psychos played on a commercial station or outside of JJJ/Double J or metropolitan alternative community radio stations such as 3RRR.

2 Likes

I know this one has been mentioned here once or twice before, but is so seldomly played that I think it deserves another mention when it does :smile:

Miss This Tonight - Matt Moffitt

Played on Coast FM Gosford just before 2pm.today as part of their 80s program

3 Likes

I heard this one again the other morning - nice to hear a bit of punk on the radio every now and then

There’s a lot of good Aussie punk around at the moment, and while they play a little bit, I reckon a station like Rebel would be the natural home for some more of it. A few more tracks from bands like the Smith Street Band, The Bennies and Luca Brasi would fit right in

2 Likes

I haven’t heard of any of these bands; admittedly, I grew out of hard rock/punk a fair few years ago. True punk rock (and heavy metal and hardcore hip hop for that matter) is almost always too polarising to attract commercial airplay. The iconic artists (Sex Pistols, Metallica, Eminem) are about all you can ask for.

I know for a fact that Rebel plays The Smith Street Band, they are very good at promoting Aussie rock bands and playing them on the radio either on the playlist or on their Australian Rock shows.

1 Like

I shot an actor for an actress
But he lived to make a joke
Shot two other men who could have been
The bodies of my folks
I stagger toward the future
I stagger day to day
Plot revenge inside of darkness
I am withering in pain

The Sound in NZ were belting out some dead set classics today. They were playing ‘triple plays’ of artists. Usually included a flogged hit followed by 2 album cuts or lesser known hits. Some lesser known hits that I can remember:

Rock and Roll Dreams - Meatloaf
Pretty Maids All In A Row - Eagles
What Do You Want From Me - Pink Floyd
FM - Stealy Dan

FM Stations in Australia- please take note!!

2 Likes

January - Pilot

Just played on Coast FM Gosford.
How very apt.
Good song that I haven’t heard for a while.
(they just followed that up with September by Earth Wind and Fire, I can see a theme here :smile: ).

There’s a certain U2 song that I’m expecting to get a fair work out today.

What other songs can we expect to hear on that theme today?

1 Like

Have A Cigar - Pink Floyd on Triple M Brisbane just after 6:30 this morning!!!

3 Likes

strong text VisIon Christian Radio is now p;laying Let There be Light By Third Day

1 Like

Al Stewart - “On The Border”. From his excellent Year of the Cat album. Heard on Coast FM 96.3 (Central Coast) this afternoon.

1 Like

Nobody Told Me/Monitors right now on 4KQ during their feature year 1981

5 Likes

Heard on Koool DAB+ radio in Melbourne:

• Rock Lobster (full version not the radio edit) - the B52s
  • She Means Nothing to Me - Cliff Richard and Phil Everly (1983)
1 Like

Day-parting was the scourge of Austereo stations in the early to mid 90s (CHR only played at nights).

Then one day in 1996 I heard Deano play this out of the 10am news on B105.

Go Craig! What a Croc :slight_smile:

1 Like

especially in Melbourne when FOX FM was classic rock (similar to MMM and Gold 104) during the day and CHR top 40 at night (plus American Top 40 was at midnight on early Monday mornings!), by that time 3XY went off the air leaving Melbourne without a full time CHR formatted station until the Fox changed to full time CHR in early 1995. This was the reason why aspirant community broadcaster Hitz FM became very popular during the 90s.

2 Likes

Yeah you’re right!

Wow! I never knew AT40 was during mid-dawns on Mondays - thanks for sharing. AT40 was always a bit of a Sunday thing historically… Radio Avon had it on Sunday afternoons for years (interestingly running against Rick Dees on 3ZM (and ZM-FM) at the same time).

But yeah… it’s funny actually… the only way for teenagers to get their fix of top40/CHR was at nights with the ‘hot30’ (ugly phil was in his prime) or on TV…

And yeah Hitz came along in Melbourne in the temp broadcast years (I even became a member of City 91.5 to get a free T shirt once).

2 Likes

Harvey Danger - Flagpole Sitta on Triple M Modern Digital. Adore this song and the album :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Sunny Came Home - Shawn Colvin

A great song I haven’t heard on radio for quite a while.

Now playing on C91.3 Campbelltown.

1 Like

Great song. It gets a spin on Breeze occasionally

1 Like