Great songs heard on radio

A few good ones I’ve noted over recent days, notably of the 90s Aussie alt-rock type - all from the usual suspect from the Hinterland:

Custard - Ringo
Regurgitator - Black Bugs
Jebediah - Harpoon

4 Likes

I’ll admit I’m unfamiliar with the first song on that list; the second track is one of the very best Aussie songs of the 90s; the third is so-so but rarely heard (I prefer “Leaving Home”, “Teflon”, and especially “Military Strongmen”).

1 Like

The best twofer I’ve heard on radio all year, courtesy of SWR FM:

I Believe- MARCELLA DETROIT
Two Tribes- FRANKIE GOES TO TINSELTOWN

The former, a huge radio hit from 1994 that is lost to commercial radio; the second, a great GTA Vice City classic.

3 Likes

Two VERY different songs back to back there - both great songs too.

That’s REAL variety - sadly commercial radio wouldn’t do this.

1 Like

In the same vein there was an unorthodox- but still good- triple play from 4BRZ today;

I’ll Be Your Shelter- TAYLOR DAYNE
Michelle (Ma Belle)- THE FAB FOUR
Sing- TRAVIS

Three very different songs, but it worked.

Later on, on the same station:

Jessica- THE ALLMAN BROS :+1:

4 Likes

Obviously, 4BRZ refers to The Breeze. :slight_smile:

Which is also famous for being used as the theme music for Top Gear. I remember hearing that song many years ago on 4BRZ’s sister station, 4RBL, better known on-air as Rebel FM. :wink:

Useless trivia: The 3 alphabetic character ACMA call signs of BRZ and RBL are the stations brands without the 5 E’s… Breeze & Rebel.

3 Likes

Funnily enough I think I heard that Marcella Detroit track on the Breeze about a week or so ago too - it then got me too wondering what happened to it, a massive song in its time

Speaking of lost 90s tracks, 97.3 played Real McCoy - Another Night yesterday morning. From that era of 90s dance numbers that is largely untouched these days (possibly not without reason :smile: )

3 Likes

Marcella Detroit gets played on the regional Ms as part of Unflogged and occasionally in Greatest Years in Music.

KO just played Another Night about 20 minutes ago.

1 Like

I haven’t heard Marcella on commercial radio since the 90s; her hits with Shakespears Sister get (relatively) more airplay, though. “I Believe” peaked at #10 on the ARIA chart, 3/7/94. The CHR stations were all over it at the time as befits a top 10 hit.

Thanks for the interesting trivia TV-E; since I’m not much of a rev-head, the reference was lost on me :smile:.

The following is straight from the desk of Fox Mulder and Dana Scully…

Lost- THE BADLOVES :+1::+1::+1:
7 Years- LUKAS GRAHAM

Played back to back on QLD Breeze this afternoon. The former song presaged the Dragons defeat to the Roosters, but that’s not all. Guess how old I was at the time “Lost” was a hit?

1 Like

It’s a Long Way There - LRB. TOday on 4KQ.

4KQ outdone themselves today. Playing a lot of unheard or forgotten singles from Australian artists.

1 Like

There were three wowsers in quick time on 4BRZ this morning;

Black Man Ray- CHINA CRISIS
Words Are Not Enough- (the late) JON ENGLISH
Falling- JULEE CRUISE

2 Likes

Black Man Ray!?

I don’t think I’ve heard that on the radio in 32 years…

Yes yes, I could be wrong!

1 Like

Sunday Girl / Blondie on Smooth FM Brisbane this morning. Songs like that are why they’re so successful - unflogged!

1 Like

I heard Sunday Girl on Breeze FM the other day too, and this morning:

Maxwell’s Silver Hammer- THE BEATLES

1 Like

One I haven’t heard for quite a while…

Get A Haircut - George Thorogood And The Destroyers (1993)

Playing right now on 2GO Central Coast.

1 Like

For some reason I heard ‘Under a Milky Way - The Church’ on JJJ this evening… I had to double check I was on the right station…

I didn’t know what I was looking for.

3 Likes

And on other regional Triple M stations as part of their “Party Mix” program, at least those that don’t carry the AFL.

1 Like

Someone’s Singing New York - Ghostwriters

Now Playing on Triple M Sydney

Great song that I haven’t heard on the radio since 1994!

1 Like