Great songs heard on radio

Whilst in Dubbo this afternoon, I heard the temporarily licensed community station DC FM 88.9 play the following songs

Love Is The Drug - Roxy Music
She Called Up - Crowded House

3 Likes

This qualify:

At 9:35

5 Likes

It does! Though “Like A Surgeon” is my favorite of his, great film clip too!

And on the Super Radio Network morning program via 2MG FM.Mudgee (normally John Laws but not today) they played

Duncan - Slim Dusty

1 Like

It qualifies as an instant station-changer for me. Don’t know why a station like Triple M would play something like this. To me this is what makes it hard to listen to mainstream commercial radio these days. Stations in the past used to really care about their overall sound and music played - they seemed to aspire to a certain quality and consistency. And playing a “novelty” track is just tacky to me.

1 Like

Heard on the 2MG FM Mudgee afternoon program today

Way Out West - James Reyne and James Blundell

Haven’t heard that one for a while.

3 Likes

Way out west where the rain don’t fall
Got a job with the company
Drilling for oil
Just to make some change
Living and a’working on the land

Weird Al has a track called Tacky. A parody of Happy by Pharell Williams.

2 Likes

Hope I never have to hear it :smiley:

2 Likes

This is actually a cover (the original is by The Dingoes, in the 70s). I didn’t know that for many years. The Dingoes version appears on the ‘Red Dog’ soundtrack.

3 Likes

The original was played on SWR last week when zbusco gave it a run

2 Likes

We were talking about that we should get you two together for a yarn, you both have similar taste in music and pretty sure the same era, I think you both would only be about two years apart in age. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Some good ones tonight on the ‘Classic 9 at 9’ on Dave Gleeson’s Triple M Night Show. The theme was ‘songs with sound effects’ (which I’m sure has been done before)

Freeze Frame - J. Geils Band
Champagne Supernova - Oasis (the full seven minutes too!)
You May Be Right - Billy Joel (gets a bit of airplay but I never get sick of it)

4 Likes

I heard a few good ones tonight on the Retro 20/20 Countdown on the ARN regional network

Solitaire - Laura Branigan
Communication - Spandau Ballet
Spirit Got Lost - Mental As Anything
I Was Only 19 - Redgum

1983 was the theme tonight.

4 Likes

She had a great voice,was gone way too soon :confused:

3 Likes

She had an amazing voice. I always thought Solitaire was the song that really showed it off the best too.

2 Likes

To Cut A Long Story Short / Spandau Ballet the other day on Rebel. Not your typical Rebel rock song but I love how they throw in tracks like this as well - it just works! Reminds me of FM104

3 Likes

I was at Woolworths today and I heard Man Alive by Diesel.

2 Likes

Black - Pearl Jam just got a run on Dave Gleeson’s show on Triple M. Great tune.

4 Likes

Also heard tonight on Gleeson’s show

Right Here Right Now – Jesus Jones
Fall Of Rome – James Reyne
Sledgehammer – Peter Gabriel
One Love – Bob Marley & The Wailers
Look What You’ve Done – JET
Weir – Killing Heidi
The Bad Touch – The Bloodhound Gang

6 Likes

If they played this stuff during the day and on weekends, rather than the sport talk and footy, I might even listen to them.

4 Likes